Are the Stars Aligning?

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
We can rotate legitimately like 15 guys on the dline.

Did I miss something? Are there DTs on this roster that have magically appeared out of thin air? Last time I checked, we'll have at least 2 true freshman getting significant minutes at that position this year and that is assuming Clark and Bryan stay healthy all year. I do agree that Mac has completely overhauled the skill positions on offense. When I look at the guys we have now versus chump, it is night and day.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not trying to be overly confident/arrogant here, but this roster is LOADED from top to bottom. We have playmakers everywhere. We can rotate legitimately like 15 guys on the dline, roll out 6-8 different widereceivers, a good rb stable, the list goes on and on. I think a QB will emerge from healthy competition and ride this wave to some special places. I'm not saying we will win a natty this year (although kind of has an '06 feel, doesnt it?), but I think this could be THE year the gators take college football by storm and start flexing their muscle ( Phil Steele has Florida as a darkhorse playoff team).

Coach Mac has done a complete 360 turnaround of this roster. This is the first time in a looooong time going into a game, I don't feel apprehensive or unsure, NO, I feel CONFIDENT! I feel like the Gators of OLD in which other teams should be scared to play THE GATORS. Im buying in right now. Now, we still have a lot to prove, but I think we will prove a lot of naysayers wrong. If there was ever a time to buy stock in the program I'd do it right now.

This view must be earned from me. Until we start beating ranked teams regularly...I'm not there...YET. To be continued...

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
QB play will be better and conversely the offense will be better. Its just seeing is believing is what gets me but I think we will be better. Go Gators!!

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I have to agree with UR and think "LOADED" is not the correct term. Yes we have plenty of players, but top line players is still the question. Yes we have potentially great WR's, but no one has had greater college WR's than LSU the past 10 years who did nothing in college, so I have seen that before. The RB's are good just like every one else's, but no one that is GREAT, but also that is so dependent on the O-line which has been awful the past 2 years. Plenty of guys on the O-line, but can Butters develop them? Plenty of D-linemen but outside of Jefferson who is a known difference maker? I still need to see Zuniga do it consistently against top line competition. LB's are a question as is secondary but with Shannon I expect to see less busted assignments given his history. There is potential, but I don't see a "LOADED" roster of incredible talent on paper. I hope I am wrong tho.

Yep kind of how I see it also. For these players to be elite they need to show it on the field first. One thing we definitely don't have which some of the top teams do is that DT that can get pressure on the QB like an Easley type. That makes your defense much better because they can't be chipped etc. like a DE can.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yep kind of how I see it also. For these players to be elite they need to show it on the field first. One thing we definitely don't have which some of the top teams do is that DT that can get pressure on the QB like an Easley type. That makes your defense much better because they can't be chipped etc. like a DE can.
yes we do, you just haven't seen him yet :grin:

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
would be like Dickey's "avoid losing" mantra.
That left a REAL bad taste in many fan's mouths. Dickey got off on the wrong foot right away. The team wanted the other guys, Then they lied about DD being hired already. And it was the time of protest and dissent so the players felt empowerd, all the while the Bear and is types were still Gods at their jobs. Dickey had the athletes but those players had MUCH more than football to get their attention back then. I KNOW cause I was there........
all that said he was a decent man who was really nice to me one time during a spring game.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This season actually has more of a 2007 feel... except without a Heisman candidate.

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
I could buy into this if it weren't for two things...Nuss is calling plays and we still don't have a clue what we're doing at QB.
Or a great OL, experience at secondary and DT. OP is delusional we're looking at 4 losses minimum this year imo.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I've been around a looooooooooooooooooooooooong time. Great years always required two things, studs (every team has a few holes) and great coaching. The second part is yet to be determined. I'm not getting excited only to be disappointed again. The wait till next year years still scar my soul.

The Buzz is that we have an O-line that is coming together, we have play makers. Maybe in the conga line of QB's we have someone who is good enough. We have talented players on defense but are lacking experience in important areas.

A great coach could make something of a team like that. Anything less than great and we still have problems. TBD.

Last edited:

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
I have to agree with UR and think "LOADED" is not the correct term. Yes we have plenty of players, but top line players is still the question. Yes we have potentially great WR's, but no one has had greater college WR's than LSU the past 10 years who did nothing in college, so I have seen that before. The RB's are good just like every one else's, but no one that is GREAT, but also that is so dependent on the O-line which has been awful the past 2 years. Plenty of guys on the O-line, but can Butters develop them? Plenty of D-linemen but outside of Jefferson who is a known difference maker? I still need to see Zuniga do it consistently against top line competition. LB's are a question as is secondary but with Shannon I expect to see less busted assignments given his history. There is potential, but I don't see a "LOADED" roster of incredible talent on paper. I hope I am wrong tho.
Agree with all this except about RS. His defenses give up a lot of yards, and big plays.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not trying to be overly confident/arrogant here, but this roster is LOADED from top to bottom.
Totally divorced from reality.

Yeah, I know. All our 3 stars were underrated.

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
We lost 4 games the last 2 years with a great defense and poor offense. Now we've not only gotten young but less talented with a harder schedule and still waiting on the offense to show up. 8-4 is the ceiling with 6-6 or 7-5 my guess.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We lost 4 games the last 2 years with a great defense and poor offense. Now we've not only gotten young but less talent, with a harder schedule and still waiting on the offense to show up. 8-4 is the ceiling with 6-6 or 7-5 my guess.
noted

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
we have zero linebacker depth, and nobody starting there is even proven.

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Or a great OL, experience at secondary and DT. OP is delusional we're looking at 4 losses minimum this year imo.
I could see it going either way. Most likely the areas you mentioned will take some lumps while gaining experience and those areas are ones that cost you games when you have a marginal offense and coach who has relied on defenses in the past to build his record. The one factor we do have in our favor is a pretty poor division and a favorable home schedule so I'm hoping we don't lose more than 3 games but I wouldn't be shocked to see us lose 4 or 5....This will be the year to see if our coaches can 1.) Game plan better than they have in the past and 2.) Show that they can coach around the teams overall lack of experience in key positions, QB, DT,LB, DB....

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator