Can we now be glad we have Mullen and not....

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Wait a minute. What’s all this talk about losing to South Alabama or ranked vs ranked record? I’ve literally heard nothing of this.

I honestly don’t get it. It’s not days or weeks leading up to or following the hire. It’s not the dull, down time of summer. We’re a week into the season, less than 48 hours from our first SEC game, have started to gain some recruiting momentum, and are resembling a competent football team for the first time in nearly a decade...and we’re still railing against someone who we think will be mediocre here.

I’m all in for complaining if your fears materialize. I was done with WM after uga ‘11 and spent most of my time griping in every thread, but generally after losses or following a terrible season. Not during the fall before anything bad has even happened.

There are plenty of things I don’t love about DM, his system, his DC and more. I don’t know that we’re in the best I hands or in track for a title. But I’m also not going to stand around stomping my feet just to do it.

Not knocking anyone as I know the intentions are there for all of us. I just think we should relax a little and stop expecting the worst as we’ve recently been programmed to do. This season could be a lot more fun than most of us expected. If it isn’t, we can light the torches then.
Wins are like mosquito repellant. They only last a few days before the bugs return.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I honestly don’t get it.
It is simple, really

SorrowfulWhimsicalAmericancreamdraft-small.gif

FlawlessDearAmericantoad-size_restricted.gif

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
No, it goes beyond your memory of MSU.
:lmao2:

What is it? The bowl streak? The 3 consecutive
wins over top 10 teams? The number one ranking?stfu about cheating Jackie Sherrel. Literally the only small bright spot in that morbidly awful programs entire history. You keep saying there was a point that was better but what was it?

They have an all time losing record. Fact

Before Mullen, they were 7-7 all time in bowl games. 14 total bowl appearances? Yeah, you read that right. Now they’re 13-8.

They have two all time all Americans and one was under Mullen.

They have an atrocious history and it’s beyond laughable that you try to make that program look like anything more than the garbage heap of history that it is.

Resources? Yeah. Those resources exist only because Mullen had them build them/make them. Nothing existed before his arrival. He grossly over performed there. I don’t care if you like him or not, his performance in context with their entire history speaks for itself

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
:lmao2: Just in case you.werent clear, you are the one spiking the ball into your nuts. Just like Kerwin, we love you despite how idiotic you are at time.

#1 ranking? :lmao2: He lost 4 games that year and ended up unranked. How did he get to #1? He convinced his AD to schedule FOUR geographic school cupcakes every year they NEVER played anyone OOC much less two decent teams like many schools do. Much like McElwain, his entire resume is "I beat Freeze once".

All the bullshyt about bowls and record are simply more cupcake eating. He started the season with his four cupcakes and Kintucky as his permanent win. Throw in the occasional dumpster fire at Arky or Ole Miss and you pretty much account for every win he ever managed. He average on more win a season than his cupcakes. His record against winning teams is abysmal.

Its why he was stuck in that hellhole for eight years. No one wanted him. He is a mediocre coach and a below average recruiter. The "just add more cupcakes" plan doesnt work at most schools.

It is hilarious to watch the Nulls meltdown now they realize that Taggart is what his record is, but the truth is we have the same thing coming.

Last edited:

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
Damn. I really need to avoid reading this thread. Department of Redundancy Department. Same sh!t, repeat.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
stop expecting the worst as we’ve recently been programmed to do.

This is the issue. 8 years ago people like Law/Swamp Donk would be pointing out that he wasn’t a great choice but we’d all presume he’ll win 11-12 games and be guessing whether he could get a qb that could win the SEC and national championships, because we were accustomed to that.

After watching the UAA make mistakes and other Gator fans act like they weren’t mistakes until the firing press conference, many Gators have been hardened to just calling out a perceived mistake immediately and presuming there will be no enjoyment. That is unlikely to change until we at least win an SEC Championship.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This is the issue. 8 years ago people like Law/Swamp Donk would be pointing out that he wasn’t a great choice but we’d all presume he’ll win 11-12 games and be guessing whether he could get a qb that could win the SEC and national championships, because we were accustomed to that.

After watching the UAA make mistakes and other Gator fans act like they weren’t mistakes until the firing press conference, many Gators have been hardened to just calling out a perceived mistake immediately and presuming there will be no enjoyment. That is unlikely to change until we at least win an SEC Championship.

Sec14Gator, there is some truth to this. The goal is SEC Championships that is the standard set by Spurrier. We really haven't sniffed a real opportunity at one since 2009. Even the 2012 season which by record was our best season we all knew if we got into the SEC Championship game with the offense we were rolling with, we would have been boat raced. The goal should always be SEC Championships, with those opportunities for National Titles come.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
:lmao2: Just in case you.werent clear, you are the one spiking the ball into your nuts. Just like Kerwin, we love you despite how idiotic you are at time.

#1 ranking? :lmao2: He lost 4 games that year and ended up unranked. How did he get to #1? He convinced his AD to schedule FOUR geographic school cupcakes every year they NEVER played anyone OOC much less two decent teams like many schools do. Much like McElwain, his entire resume is "I beat Freeze once".

All the bullshyt about bowls and record are simply more cupcake eating. He started the season with his four cupcakes and Kintucky as his permanent win. Throw in the occasional dumpster fire at Arky or Ole Miss and you pretty much account for every win he ever managed. He average on more win a season than his cupcakes. His record against winning teams is abysmal.

Its why he was stuck in that hellhole for eight years. No one wanted him. He is a mediocre coach and a below average recruiter. The "just add more cupcakes" plan doesnt work at most schools.

It is hilarious to watch the Nulls meltdown now they realize that Taggart is what his record is, but the truth is we have the same thing coming.
You keep going on about recruiting but it’s simply not true. His transition class was the highest rated Rivals class (by average rating) since 2010. This class is better than any Mac class and in line with Champ’s classes, a noted “recruiter”. His classes here are significantly better than any MSU class. Finally, Morehead’s class quality is in line with what Mullen was doing at MSU. I wouldn’t call him the next Meyer and I agree that he still needs better quality recruits to get us back to elite but he’s definitely doing a better job than you try to paint.

Additionally, you can point to individual instances of failures at MSU but those were common there throughout their history. Agree that bowls are meaningless because there so many more opportunities now that it doesn’t take a good season to reach one. But there’s no denying he turned that program around and made it relevant consistently, something not done for almost their entire history.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This class is better than any Mac class and in line with Champ’s classes, a noted “recruiter”. .
Which class? The transition class? It was a good transition class but it surely wasn't a great class? The current class? Only if you project that we win on every one of our remaining targets who have us as one of the 4-8 hats on the table.

If we finish say tenth then we are fifth or so in the SEC. If that is your goal, then he may achieve that. That's the most likely outcome of this anyway.

Look, I said all along I'm not really concerned about this years record and just want to see the start of a real turnaround with an elite class. That doesn't necessarily mean (to me) #1-#3 or whatever. If we were #7 with 17 bluechippers and we were behind a couple of teams with 18-20 or so, no big deal. Becoming elite again is in reach at least, though it is really those Tebow, Spikes and Harvin 5 star guys who get you over the top from being really good and a great team. But we are silly to think finishing #10 with say 10-12 blue chippers is going to get it done because nothing his history suggests he can do more with less.

There is some momentum in recruiting so lets hope it snowballs especially with trouble in Crackbus and Trashahassee.

BTW, I never considered Chimp a great recruiter. He only recruited two positions and then filled the class with leftover low 4 star athletes (who mostly became DBs also). That isn't going to win anything. It is also the plan being used by Taggart, grab the leftovers to pump the class ranking.

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Which class? The transition class? It was a good transition class but it surely wasn't a great class? The current class? Only if you project that we win on every one of our remaining targets who have us as one of the 4-8 hats on the table.

If we finish say tenth then we are fifth or so in the SEC. If that is your goal, then he may achieve that. That's the most likely outcome of this anyway.

Look, I said all along I'm not really concerned about this years record and just want to see the start of a real turnaround with an elite class. That doesn't necessarily mean (to me) #1-#3 or whatever. If we were #7 with 17 bluechippers and we were behind a couple of teams with 18-20 or so, no big deal. Becoming elite again is in reach at least, though it is really those Tebow, Spikes and Harvin 5 star guys who get you over the top from being really good and a great team. But we are silly to think finishing #10 with say 10-12 blue chippers is going to get it done because nothing his history suggests he can do more with less.

There is some momentum in recruiting so lets hope it snowballs especially with trouble in Crackbus and Trashahassee.

BTW, I never considered Chimp a great recruiter. He only recruited two positions and then filled the class with leftover low 4 star athletes (who mostly became DBs also). That isn't going to win anything. It is also the plan being used by Taggart, grab the leftovers to pump the class ranking.

Mullen is dealing with a tough situation, we have been a dumpster fire for the last decade. Considering that, his transition class was good, and it addressed our needs and included a good QB.

I was starting to worry about this class, but it’s starting to look decent. If we have a good/decent season, and close out recruiting strong with a top 10ish class, I will be happy. This class looks like it will be balanced, and include another stud QB. There is a long way to go on this class.

Having a good/decent season is imperative, as it will allow our recruiting to finish strong. Then next year hopefully another good/decent season with a top 10 recuiting class, and we are well on our way to relevance.

Getting rid of Seider and the Cali recruiting experiment are really the only two questionable calls he has made so far, and it looks like the plug was pulled on the LD recruiting.

Rome was not built in a day, give him a chance.

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
I am all for debating all kinds of hypotheticals on the forums, after all that is what they are for. But come on, the same arguments are being regurgitated over and over and over again. I mean you guys are the Nussmeier of football forums. Repeat same **** ad nauseam until everyone sleeps, regardless if we win or lose. I can pretty much write the next post just looking at who is debating who.

Either way, we have our coach. I think at this point I am going to relax and watch football.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I am all for debating all kinds of hypotheticals on the forums, after all that is what they are for. But come on, the same arguments are being regurgitated over and over and over again. I mean you guys are the Nussmeier of football forums. Repeat same **** ad nauseam until everyone sleeps, regardless if we win or lose. I can pretty much write the next post just looking at who is debating who.

Either way, we have our coach. I think at this point I am going to relax and watch football.
Take a screen cap of your post just in case because Law will be giving it a delayed dislike in five years after Mullen is replaced by Major Applewhite.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018

I already did this research for you once, not doing it again. Looked at average player quality, not class ranking. Last year, based on quality alone, was the closest we’ve gotten to being where Meyer was. And your last point is exactly what I’m saying - many of the schools from the SEC in front of us have more players but lower quality committed. I’ll check but we are closer to the top of the league in quality with more good guys potentially coming here to raise the average further.

That said, totally agree about the lack of headliners. Why we can’t snag even 1 5-star is beyond me. Mac was too soft to compete for them but it’s hard to believe not a single one came here. Maybe we get one this year.

Edit: we are currently 6th in quality with two teams hundredths ahead (will note that LSU is tied with but their average will likely go down - it includes 3 5-stars so they’re likely topped out on top talent). Based on the dudes we think we’ll get, I feel pretty comfortable saying we’ll land between 3.6-3.7. Last year we were 3.78, which is impressive considering all factors. The trick is taking it another step to 3.8-3.9+ where UGA, Bama, Auburn, and FSU are currently.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I already did this research for you once, not doing it again. Looked at average player quality, not class ranking.
I agree average was good but we need numbers too. Even those 4 stars dont work out. Did you see that 4 star center that Bammer let go to Voles? Holey moley was he terrible last week.

Must have quality depth. Even the bluechippers have a 50 percent failure to develop rate.

Last edited:

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
I agree average was good but we need numbers too. Even those 4 stars dont work out. Did you see that 4 star center that Bammer let go to Voles. Holey moley was he terrible last week.

Must have quality depth. Even the bluechippers have a 50 percent failure to develop rate.
I don’t disagree. But numbers aren’t atrocious now so I’ll take classes with quality and build towards both. Im guessing we end up with 20+ recruits and 12 or 13 BCs. Not great but a huge improvement over where we were. Just need to sustain and build on that going forward. 3.8 seems like the average to get to on a consistent basis if you want to be in the hunt.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Take a screen cap of your post just in case because Law will be giving it a delayed dislike in five years after Mullen is replaced by Major Applewhite.
I changed him to even.

Either Mullinz or Applewhite would be high on Chimp's list for future OCs.

Ball control and time of possession, baby!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator