Can we now be glad we have Mullen and not....

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

I don't know whether he's better than Kelly or not, anymore that the next guy. They had wildly different rides up to this point. I do know fit, and I while I was all aboard the Kelly train, I was very vocal in my concerns about his fit at UF.

I also know his best team and best offense ground to a halt against Auburn in the title game, scoring 5 points less(19) than Auburn's defensive average(24 points, through 13 games) and a whopping 5 points more than Mullen did that same season with his second-year Msu squad(14 points). And I don't doubt for a second that such stats played a role in his choosing to run out west for substantially less money, rather than to take on the challenge that Mullen not only accepted but stuck out in a less than favorable spot. So, I'll gladly take the guy who's up for the task and wants to be here, especially considering it's done and he is.

To your last point, this isn't a knock on your fandom or love for UF, as I said in the initial post. We just have different ways of expressing it. But he's going to be here for 3 years minimum. And there are going to be losses. So my saying relax during the ok-to-good times is as much for your own good as it is a defense of the staff.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

That just seems crazy to me. But again, we're all different, and we all ultimately want the same thing.

As for fit, Kelly was wildly unpopular in Philly, and imo, would've been more of a hired gun constantly looking around, than a coach we can rebuild around. I also don't think he wanted to pound the pavement in recruiting the way he'd have to here. But that wasn't saying DM was the perfect fit. I just think he was better for us, especially with where we were at the time.

And I don't agree that he can't beat talented D's. I saw him beat plenty of them as an OC. I don't think he had the horses at Msu, and am willing to give him a shot with what will be a much better roster here. But all of this is moot, and we can disagree to no end. Let's beat Uk.

jhbyrd

Banned
BANNED
Apr 17, 2018
Other than Ox, who wanted Kelly?
I liked Kelly and Frost and Mullen. I liked that Kelly could start quickly with no buyout. When I read that he hates recruiting I had my doubts on him as SEC head coaches recruit HARD. He went where he fit best and they already have a new football center that will recruit for him.

Frost is good but wanted to go home where he will be given a fair chance to get going.

Mullen was the best fit with his prior national championship rings at UF and his work ethic. He paid his dues as a young head coach in the SEC and knows he needs UF if he wants to get to the next level. Mullen's challenge is getting through the next 2 seasons before our Football center gets under way. Doing good so far.

Last edited:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
The Donkey is funny. He’ll act a little optimistic for a few days until another member annoys him by pumping a little too hard. Then, he goes into full “we suck” mode just to be a contrarian d!ck. He enjoys it thoroughly. That’s why if/when the Gators are successful under Mullen I’m openly encouraging bagging on him in every way possible. He deserves it. He’s earned every bit of it.

At least Itraz has stayed consistent in his misery. Donkey would argue about the color of the sky to entertain himself.

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017

To be fair, Chip Kelly lost a game to what is probably a less talented Cincinnati bearcats at home on the same weekend, maybe that plays also a little into that perception? Maybe it is also because UCLA's 2019 class sits at 76 in ranking on rivals, 82 on 247?

You have to admit it is not "just because Mullen put up 400 yards on Charleston Southern".

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Sum people's goal is to codify Mullen as a bust-hire, a flop with an upside that is the floppiest.
But, Mullen is Gator HC/CEO right now. Mullen is the one HC who most wanted to direct Gator football.
To Mullen, returning to Gainesville is a return to all that is right for him - quite an incentive to please everyone.
Mullen has no intrusive-AD worries. = clear football head.
Mullen will again have highly valuable players.
In players' & recruits' thinking, Mullen will be the HC who got them great dorms, great CFB facilities.
Recruits will see the turnaround movements that Mullen is responsible for.
Mullen is & will be one of the most player-liked HCs in CFB - (something Dabo rides on).
Mullen has that QB-maker reputation ready to soar. Franks will be that great illustrator.
Regardless of the pre-dumping with current dumping, Mullen is gonna move our Gators to leapfrog other schools in development.
Long live me & Mullen !!

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
The Donkey is funny. He’ll act a little optimistic for a few days until another member annoys him by pumping a little too hard. Then, he goes into full “we suck” mode just to be a contrarian d!ck. He enjoys it thoroughly. That’s why if/when the Gators are successful under Mullen I’m openly encouraging bagging on him in every way possible. He deserves it. He’s earned every bit of it.

At least Itraz has stayed consistent in his misery. Donkey would argue about the color of the sky to entertain himself.

I find him generally enjoyable now that I realize he is at heart a provocateur.

When I read his posts I am reminded of what I once heard a teenage girl say to her father.............................. "you are funny, Dad. Just not as funny as you think you are".

Tay Bang

I might have been mean to Byrd
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018

My understanding is this board exists strictly to entertain the Donkey.
IMG_0932.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator