Colin Cowherd on Florida

HogtownGator

It's Great to be a CCW
Aug 8, 2014
Swamp Queen;n88982 said:
10-15 years? You realize he's almost 70 right?

Yes, I know how old he is. He's also a competitor. I see him wanting to coach more games than Jo-Pa and Booby. I also know that 69 is not exactly one foot on the banana peel.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Swamp Queen;n88982 said:
10-15 years? You realize he's almost 70 right?

But just imagine those infamous Spurrier quips in a Stephen Hawking fashion. Would kill it at pressers, imo.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
HogtownGator;n88986 said:
Yes, I know how old he is. He's also a competitor. I see him wanting to coach more games than Jo-Pa and Booby. I also know that 69 is not exactly one foot on the banana peel.

Not saying it's one foot on the banana peel, I just see him and how he acts and imagine he'd probably enjoy playing golf over the next 10-15 years more than sitting in a recruits living room. Guess we'll see.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n88782 said:
You have to factor in that we've had 4 receiver coaches in 4 years. And 2 of them were promoted graduate assistants These receivers had offers from pretty much everyone else

Wow...that's a really good point.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
HogtownGator;n88980 said:
That's Ageism! :lol: Seriously, I see him coaching for 10 - 15 more years. (Not to be construed as advocating for him to come here).

Thanks for the laugh this morning.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
HogtownGator;n88986 said:

No way SOS coaches into his 80's. I mean, it would be awesome if he could pull it off and still be competitive. I just don't see him allowing himself to start slipping like Bowden and Jo-Pa. Everyone remembers how great they were but (child rape and cover up aside)when you think of them, one of the first things that comes to mind is how they were both shown the door and how much they slipped in their last years of coaching.

I just don't see SOS wanting to be remembered like that. He's gonna want to go out on top. I personally think if he could ever win and SEC championship at S. Carolina he'd retire that very year. He'd had done something never done before and he'd go out on top. He's still been the most successful coach they've ever had but I don't think that satisfies him. I think a championship would really help quench that thirst, so to speak.

Personally, I'd love for the Ole Ball Coach to come home and retire a Gator. Hire him and give him a three or four year contract AND have a succession plan in place, and be very clear with recruits on the front end what the plans are. I think it'd be really cool. I just don't see it happening. But it'd be cool having him retire a Gator...esp. if he could get us another SEC or Natty championship.

I think we'd actually have a better chance of getting Stoops to come here for a multi year contract but as I've said all along, I think it's highly unlikely. However, I'd gladly be wrong!

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Although I don't see Spurrier pulling up stakes where his family (includes his nearby grandkids) is settled and coming back.
If he did, IMHO would be great plan for HC-SOS to train OC(QB-coach) Kerwin Bell in designed training as our HC
replacement. SOS could delegate lots of HC duties to Kerwin thus lightening the load in his sunset years.

All while UF FB results in 9+ win rebuilding seasons filled with exciting play & on-field player joy. Best scenario has
Alma Mater Gators mainstays on the coaching staff. Gator loyalty, Gator fight & pride skyrockets throughout our state among all recruits. That's seeing the big-biggest picture.

That complex move would revive our program the fastest. It would restore Foley's status - that's surely athletic directing.
Dream on. Look even if UF had several 8-win seasons the excited-satisfied knowing a ready-trained Kerwin Bell steps up.
IF we're painted into a corner why not a Houdini escape like this. This package would be worth many $.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Cowherd is all over this, even again today he threw out this: "Chip Kelly would definitely answer the phone if Foley made the call. And Chip Kelly to Florida would be the equivalent of Saban to Bama."

I've looked at Chip Kelly as the dream candidate all along (while also thinking he's impossible to land) but could you freaking imagine that dude running our offense?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
NCOGator;n88944 said:
Lets Hope. If not him someone that actually loves the Gators and wants them to be successful.
I really don't think we need a coach with Gator roots to want the team to be successful. People can be driven by other factors like success, money, etc. I sure hope the Board of Trustees isn't only looking at "Gator people" like Foley does.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The Original DC;n89061 said:
Cowherd is all over this, even again today he threw out this: "Chip Kelly would definitely answer the phone if Foley made the call. And Chip Kelly to Florida would be the equivalent of Saban to Bama."

I've looked at Chip Kelly as the dream candidate all along (while also thinking he's impossible to land) but could you freaking imagine that dude running our offense?

I've been posting rumors and such in the super secret double probation WM fired thread. Some people say Kelly is interested, then this comes along:

FootballScoop

Chip Kelly has no interest in Florida.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n89063 said:
I sure hope the Board of Trustees isn't only looking at "Gator people" like Foley does.

Like Foley does? Urban Meyer and Will Muschamp had no Gator ties, hell, Muschamp palyed at UGA, as you know. Don't give me the "he grew up in Gainesville" crap, he PLAYED at UGA. I realize the pain and suffering we are going through and we have this pent-up anger, but throwing out nonsense about Foley won't help.

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
oxrageous;n89063 said:
I really don't think we need a coach with Gator roots to want the team to be successful. People can be driven by other factors like success, money, etc. I sure hope the Board of Trustees isn't only looking at "Gator people" like Foley does.

Exactly. Meyer certainly wasn't "Gator people" when he was hired. I feel like we are a top 3 program with the resources, talent and geography. You don't leave Florida to go somewhere else you leave somewhere else to come here unless its the NFL. I know I might be just a slight bit prejudiced but I'm not far off. I think it would be in our best interest to find someone that's in their 40's, highly imaginative offense wise with a previous HC position. I know that's a pretty narrow parameter but having the candidate be from the "Gator tree" if you will makes it even narrower. Just win baby, I don't care where they come from. And yeah, I know a HC that fits that criteria to a tee.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
williston_gator;n89069 said:
I've been posting rumors and such in the super secret double probation WM fired thread. Some people say Kelly is interested, then this comes along:

https://twitter.com/FootballScoop"]FootballScoop[/URL]

I've seen rumors on both sides. I just read elsewhere that "sources close to Kelly say he would listen." It's hard to know what's true. It all depends on whether or not Kelly is enjoying his job with the Eagles. If he doesn't like the workload, if he doesn't like the beaurocracy of the league, if he doesn't like the dynamics in general, he would listen, much like Saban and Spurrier did. In the end, those two just simply preferred the dynamics of the college game. Kelly may be the same. It would also help if the Eagles would lose more. Losing tends to change things drastically.

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
williston_gator;n89069 said:

FootballScoop

These guys were wrong many times last year on many fronts. They are not insiders at all.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Swamp Queen;n88951 said:
Let's hope? So in 3 years when the guy decides he really wants to retire we are back looking for a new coach? Pass.

Exactly queenie

CapitalGator02

Founding Member
( . Y . )
Jun 17, 2014
Founding Member
gardnerwebbalumnigator;n88781 said:
Yes, Crescent Beach. Not only where the family of one Steven Orr Spurrier has a condo, but the family of a certain Robert Anthony Stoops has one as well.

He also has a massive beachfront pad as well as a house across A1A on the intercoastal. It's safe to assume SOS will retire soon in CB.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
The Original DC;n89077 said:
I've seen rumors on both sides. I just read elsewhere that "sources close to Kelly say he would listen." It's hard to know what's true. It all depends on whether or not Kelly is enjoying his job with the Eagles. If he doesn't like the workload, if he doesn't like the beaurocracy of the league, if he doesn't like the dynamics in general, he would listen, much like Saban and Spurrier did. In the end, those two just simply preferred the dynamics of the college game. Kelly may be the same. It would also help if the Eagles would lose more. Losing tends to change things drastically.

crazy-funny-gifs-groundhog-day-punch.gif

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
"The name that I keep hearing around the country is Chip Kelly. And everybody says, 'well, he's the Philadelphia Eagle coach.' But he really is the kind of guy that needs to come in there and take over that program because of instant offense, you saw what he did at Oregon, he had a tremendous career as an assistant coach at New Hampshire, He would be a vital cog in recruiting in the state of Florida, and if for some reason he turned it down — and I'm sure he would certainly think about whether to stay with the Eagles or not — he's got to remember what Nick Saban did. He left the Miami Dolphins and went to Alabama and subsequently we've seen what he's done, plus he's making $7 million a year."

http://247sports.com/Bolt/ESPNs-Cowherd-Phillys-Kelly-Would-Listen-If-Florida-Calls-32271374

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator