Driskel's comments - hope for the new offense ?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n14142 said:
He moved the ball with Boise State as their WR coach and OC but I know that was 100% Peterson but Muschamp had nothing to do with the ultra conservative crap we ran here - it was basically just a 100% Pease issue.

Stats can show anything you want them to not even counting how outgunned Baylor and KY were in most of their games talent wise during those years.

I think Roper is clearly better than Pease but Muschamp owns a bunch of what happened on offense since he has been here. Hopefully he has learned his lesson.

2011 Boise State 481 yards/game
2012 Boise State 391 yards/game (year after Pease left) (-90 yards a game)

2005 Baylor 336 yards/game
2006 Baylor 341 yards/game (year after Pease left) (+5 yards a game)

2002 Kentucky 347 yards/game
2003 Kentucky 327 yards/game (year after Pease left) (-20 yards a game)

So now we are counting the seasons he was a Wide Recivers Coach, Really? And you want to bring up how Kentucky and Baylor were out gunned, but not the loss of talent due to graduation of the Seniors with Boise State or scholarship attrition from Kentucky? Seems you are picking and choosing your arguments when it comes to Pease again.

2000 Kentucky 445.5 yards/game - Pre-Pease
2001 Kentucky 382.8 yards/game
2002 Kentucky 347.8 yards/ games

2002 Baylor 334.9 yards/game - Pre-Pease
2003 Baylor 281.4 yards/game
2004 Baylor 311.8 yards/game

2010 Boise State 521.3 yards/game - Pre Pease
2011 Boise State 481.3 yards/game

2011 Florida 328.7 yards/game - Pre Pease
2012 Florida 334.4 yards/game
2013 Florida 316.7

So he the team also takes a net loss when he arrives? Never said it was 100% nor did I in my quote you replied to. Muschamp has hired two bad fits at OC, which is his fault. But you seem to want to defend Pease like he was this great OC at all his stops. Even through they all took a step back when he took over in the FBS.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The good ole "Is Pease a good OC or not" argument. Good times.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator said:
It's also completely irrelevant. He's gone. Just thank God and move on.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78 said:
Gator Fever;n14142 said:
He moved the ball with Boise State as their WR coach and OC but I know that was 100% Peterson but Muschamp had nothing to do with the ultra conservative crap we ran here - it was basically just a 100% Pease issue.

Stats can show anything you want them to not even counting how outgunned Baylor and KY were in most of their games talent wise during those years.

I think Roper is clearly better than Pease but Muschamp owns a bunch of what happened on offense since he has been here. Hopefully he has learned his lesson.

So now we are counting the seasons he was a Wide Recivers Coach, Really? And you want to bring up how Kentucky and Baylor were out gunned, but not the loss of talent due to graduation of the Seniors with Boise State or scholarship attrition from Kentucky? Seems you are picking and choosing your arguments when it comes to Pease again.

2013 Florida 316.7

So he the team also takes a net loss when he arrives? Never said it was 100% nor did I in my quote you replied to. Muschamp has hired two bad fits at OC, which is his fault. But you seem to want to defend Pease like he was this great OC at all his stops. Even through they all took a step back when he took over in the FBS.
In am just pointing out stats can show anything and Muschamp was one of the main issues period with how he wanted an offense ran.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n14157 said:

:suicide:
Pease is currently the WR coach for Petereson and UW; so he couldn't even earn the OC position back that he left at Boise State.
We'll see where he goes from there, but I suspect being OC at Florida is going to be the high point of his career (and I agree that calling it a high point is stretching it, given the product that was put on the field).

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78 said:
Gator Fever;n14142 said:

2013 Florida 316.7

You defend Pease like he is a great Offensive Coordinator, he isn't. Is Muschamp to blame for the state of the team, he is the Head Coach of course. But that doesn't mean that the Offensive Coordinator (who had done the same thing basically at every stop) doesn't deserve his blame, or the offensive line coach for that performance doesn't. Just because Pease is a bad offensive coordinator doesn't excuse Muschamp for last year either. Those are mutually exclusive arguments. Pease is a bad offensive coordinator, period. His philosophy matched Muschamps (as Muschamp and him agreed upon in the intro press conference). One being bad doesn't excuse the other from being bad.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78 said:
GatorJ;n14101 said:
I think Champ exerted his philosophy but I think Pease just plain sucked. Other than his one year as the OC of Boise State in an established offense on a senior laden team, he has outright sucked.

If you are in the bottom third of your profession 87.5% of your time at that position, you don't belong. Especially when the 12.5% you were good, you were calling another man's offense. He might be the Lane Kiffin of offensive coordinators. Now it didn't make it any easier that Muschamp agreed with his philosophy so didn't push him to get better.
I agree. I also think when you are in the bottom third of your profession 66.67 % of the time you don't belong as the HC at a top tier football program.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
JC_Gator;n14106 said:
That excites me too. And I think Pease was a lot of our problem, but if Muschamp has a brain he will let go of the offense. If we can hit 30 points a game I don't see us losing. We might be there.

Look Murphy was hitting 30 points with 1 out of 5 starting linemen left.

It really isn't that great of a stretch if we can just keep the QB from panicking and shiiiitting on himself every time he touches the ball.

Slug

I fcuking hate people.
Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2014
GatorJ said:
I think Champ exerted his philosophy but I think Pease just plain sucked. Other than his one year as the OC of Boise State in an established offense on a senior laden team, he has outright sucked.
A little caveat on Pease, he's the WRs coach now. But yeah, he sucked a fat one.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
GatorBart;n14164 said:
:suicide:
Pease is currently the WR coach for Petereson and UW; so he couldn't even earn the OC position back that he left at Boise State.
We'll see where he goes from there, but I suspect being OC at Florida is going to be the high point of his career (and I agree that calling it a high point is stretching it, given the product that was put on the field).

That is a ridiculous argument. That Peterson took him back with that late notice tells you he respects him and Peterson would name him OC I bet again if his current one leaves.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n14171 said:
Look Murphy was hitting 30 points with 1 out of 5 starting linemen left.

It really isn't that great of a stretch if we can just keep the QB from panicking and shiiiitting on himself every time he touches the ball.

We will know if Muschamp has got his hand off the offense if we aren't mostly just running it up the gut after getting a 2 TD lead on Idaho and if we score in the 40's on that vastly outmatched team.

JC_Gator

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I would not be surprised if it took us a game or two to get used to the rhythm of our offense. I'm not going to be calling the dogs if we don't hang 50 on Idaho or in the next game. By Kentucky I think we should be in full swing though.

GIGator

Founding Member
No One Important!
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever said:
GatorJ;n14101 said:

Disagree but we have already had that discussion. I don't think Pease is a good coordinator but he is probably average with a head coach not leaning on him a lot. The past few years of offense have had Muschamp's "philosophy" written all over them. The places Pease left previously as OC did worse on average the next season (total offense) than his last season at those places.
Muschamp's philosophy was no different than Saban's and Saban had success. To give Pease a pass is ridiculous. The teams may have done worse after Pease left due to poor recruiting. He sure did recruit very well at UF.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
JC_Gator;n14198 said:
I would not be surprised if it took us a game or two to get used to the rhythm of our offense. I'm not going to be calling the dogs if we don't hang 50 on Idaho or in the next game. By Kentucky I think we should be in full swing though.

It depends how the game plays out. If its just the timing being a little off and missing on some sure big plays I agree (but we still better be in the mid 30's or higher at least against Idaho ) but if its Muschamp having the offense go conservative because we have a 2 TD lead then I will be worried.

GIGator

Founding Member
No One Important!
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ said:
Champ knows defense. He knows how to spot talent in the defensive coaching ranks. He's completely clueless on offense and being a new HC I think he was led astray on some advice. One of the most powerful quotes IMO came from Muschamp:

Q. As a player and assistant coach, you've had fairly good success every place you've been. How difficult was last season for you personally and was there anybody you sort of reached out to to sort of talk things out or communicate with?

COACH MUSCHAMP: Well, unfortunately all the guys I know real well will lie to me now so I can't really talk to them. I really draw from within. I think we have a very strong staff at the University of Florida for the things we need to do to be successful moving forward. In most situations, even when I was a defensive coordinator, making difficult decisions, go with my gut and do what we need to do to be successful.

I think when you lean on the Sabans, Meyers, and Fishers of the world you're going to get burnt.
I believe Saban got Muschamp on Pease. I don't think it was intentional. Saban was really interested in Pease and I think that increased Muschamp's interest. Meyer got Muschamp in several other ways, including interfering with the players that played for Meyer.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78 said:
Gator Fever;n14142 said:

2013 Florida 316.7

Well with the 2 teams he was the OC that weren't totally outmatched most weeks he did real good at one and real bad at the other. At one the head coach wanted to score a lot and at the other the head coach just wanted to keep the other teams offense of the field as much as he could by slowing things down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.