Gators are the # 3 most overrated team in college football for 2017?

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
And yet, you're moaning about others stating what they think.

Not so.... My point was and is that people make absolute statements without saying "I think so", leaving myself and others wondering where this is written..... If it's just your opinion, it has very little weight but if someone with real CRED says it, I'm listening........ The original post was something like, "If our offense doesn't improve drastically, Mac will be out of here"

I just want to know if that statement has any real substance....... I suspect not.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Not so.... My point was and is that people make absolute statements without saying "I think so", leaving myself and others wondering where this is written..... If it's just your opinion, it has very little weight but if someone with real CRED says it, I'm listening........ The original post was something like, "If our offense doesn't improve drastically, Mac will be out of here"

I just want to know if that statement has any real substance....... I suspect not.
Trust me buddy, that statement's a fact. The only question is WHEN he will be out. Make no mistake, if he doesn't fix the offense, he's gone. This is not opinion, it's fact. We can argue about how much longer he'll be given to get it fixed, but thats about it.

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016
I guess folks forget how Les Miles was done at LSU. He had all these great recruits yet couldn't even make it to the SECG or beat bama. almost lost his job for not producing on the field at the end of 2015, and after having another top 10 recruiting class...then finally lost his job for not producing on the field last year and had another top 10 recruiting class. And he at least had 2 Nattys to back him up. There is a true sense of urgency now more than ever to produce results, and even more so in the SEC. This is my point. So unless your last name is Saban your job isn't safe at any school in the SEC. So if that mind set of Put up or Shut up, makes me a dumper or whatever the F... Then I will wear that scarlet D with pride.

http://www.businessinsider.com/lsu-reportedly-fires-les-miles-2016-9

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This is my point. So unless your last name is Saban your job isn't safe at any school in the SEC
I really think Corndogs got tired of watching that moron Less Miles doing Less with More and watching a 1950s Big Ten offense.

And yet, you're moaning about others stating what they think.
Bytching nonstop about people bytching is what Duece does and yet we love him anyway.

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016
Agreed. But he won 2 NC and his job wasn't even safe anymore. People think that a 2018 top 5 Recruiting class is going to help our 2017 offensive production. I do agree that Mac can hold his own water, Nuss should have been gone last year. IMHO, I think he thought by getting Zaire, it was saving his job. We shall see. I hope we do finally put out a SEC caliber offense, they way we used to do. The tools are there, just have to use them correctly.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
See how Sumlin at TAM is handling the hot seat, he hired/fired all his asst. coaches first, now if he doesn't produce this year its on him the HC. Mac is doing something similar with hiring a new O-line coach, then bringing in other coaches in specific areas. He's making scape goats first, as to deflect the attention off of him the HC. If we win the east again, his job is safe. If we keep the same mediocre O showing, look for Nuss to be gone either mid to late season. This will buy Mac another year (2018) with a new OC. This is just my observation on how college football hiring/firings are going nowadays. We cant keep kidding ourselves......

Collins left for a head coaching job. That's a promotion.

Torrian Gray left for the NFL and the Washington Redskins. That's a promotion.

Summers was probably forced to leave and ended up at Louisville.

One guy was probably told to start looking for a job and two others left for promotions and somehow you are framing that as Mac making scape goats out of them? Like Mac forced them to leave to save his job?

That is a serious reach.

Mac forced a subpar recruiter to leave and had two good coaches leave for promotions. Mac then hired three good coaches/recruiters to replace them and upgraded the staff.

None of that occurred because Mac was feeling this imaginary heat we keep hearing about. It was just good management.

Mac isn't buying time. His job isn't in jeopardy. This alternate world the dumpers have created where Mac is on the hot seat doesn't exist in reality. He took a team that had only won 11 games total in the previous two seasons, that had lost to Georgia Southern, that had finished two consecutive seasons unranked in the final polls and Mac won 19 games and his division in his first two seasons. He was the SEC Coach of the Year in 2015. Every season the experts all pick the Gators record and every season Mac has exceeded expectations. It hasn't always been pretty, but he is in no way, shape or form on a seat that is even warm.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
This alternate world the dumpers have created where Mac is on the hot seat doesn't exist in reality.
I'd like to see a post where any dumpers say this. I certainly haven't, and I've seen a ton of the folks you categorize as dumpers say regularly that no matter what happens he'll be around in 2018, even if this season is a disaster. MJ, Law, Trex, even J have said it repeatedly. I personally think that if the season is a disaster, like losing record disaster that he could be gone. But that isnt a hot seat in any rational person's mind. What is your angle anyway? For someone who says the other side will never be happy, it sure seems like you're projecting.

We are currently killing it in recruiting, Mac upgraded the staff, and things are really looking up. Just stick with that and you'll be fine.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
It hasn't always been pretty, but he is in no way, shape or form on a seat that is even warm.
I agree with you, and that's the most frustrating thing of all. He should be, but the bar has been lowered so far at UF he looks like some kind of coaching genius.

People like yourself relentlessly perpetuate and glorify the lowering of that bar, which is why you get heat from a number of members who would prefer excellence at a school like UF.

Unfortunately, the "new normal" will eventually win out, and it will be a return to the pre-Spurrier expectations at Florida. Yay?

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
I'd like to see a post where any dumpers say this. I certainly haven't, and I've seen a ton of the folks you categorize as dumpers say regularly that no matter what happens he'll be around in 2018, even if this season is a disaster. MJ, Law, Trex, even J have said it repeatedly. I personally think that if the season is a disaster, like losing record disaster that he could be gone. But that isnt a hot seat in any rational person's mind. What is your angle anyway? For someone who says the other side will never be happy, it sure seems like you're projecting.

We are currently killing it in recruiting, Mac upgraded the staff, and things are really looking up. Just stick with that and you'll be fine.

LOL, you quoted my post which was a reply to a person who was stating that Mac was firing assistant coaches to deflect heat from himself

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
LOL, you quoted my post which was a reply to a person who was stating that Mac was firing assistant coaches to deflect heat from himself
And? That makes the statement "the alternative world that dumpers have created" credible? I've stated this already but you keep doing it. One post from one person doesnt mean group think. I have named numerous posters who you label as dumpers say the exact opposite of what you're claiming. I bet you dollars to donuts that the person you quoted doesnt think mac is on the hotseat. Stating "deflecting heat" and being on the hot seat aren't always the same, but that's beside the point. The point isn't that you can point to one person, one time, who said one thing. The point is you keep taking that isolated incident and projecting it to an entire group, even though the vast majority have been vocal that he isnt going anywhere anytime soon. Some say it begrudgingly, but they say it.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Collins left for a head coaching job. That's a promotion.

Torrian Gray left for the NFL and the Washington Redskins. That's a promotion.

Summers was probably forced to leave and ended up at Louisville.

One guy was probably told to start looking for a job and two others left for promotions and somehow you are framing that as Mac making scape goats out of them? Like Mac forced them to leave to save his job?

That is a serious reach.

Mac forced a subpar recruiter to leave and had two good coaches leave for promotions. Mac then hired three good coaches/recruiters to replace them and upgraded the staff.

None of that occurred because Mac was feeling this imaginary heat we keep hearing about. It was just good management.

Mac isn't buying time. His job isn't in jeopardy. This alternate world the dumpers have created where Mac is on the hot seat doesn't exist in reality. He took a team that had only won 11 games total in the previous two seasons, that had lost to Georgia Southern, that had finished two consecutive seasons unranked in the final polls and Mac won 19 games and his division in his first two seasons. He was the SEC Coach of the Year in 2015. Every season the experts all pick the Gators record and every season Mac has exceeded expectations. It hasn't always been pretty, but he is in no way, shape or form on a seat that is even warm.

You have to admit the talk would go south fast if Mac somehow put another crappy offense out there and we started 2-2. I think he would probably get away with just firing Nuss after the season if that happened but you never know. I think the recruiting finally improving helps his case a lot to get next year at least however.

Last edited:

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
I guess folks forget how Les Miles was done at LSU. He had all these great recruits yet couldn't even make it to the SECG or beat bama. almost lost his job for not producing on the field at the end of 2015, and after having another top 10 recruiting class...then finally lost his job for not producing on the field last year and had another top 10 recruiting class.
http://www.businessinsider.com/lsu-reportedly-fires-les-miles-2016-9

Yeah we saw how well that's worked out for LSU. They got gruntin' Ed Orgeron and the stellar Joe Aleva as AD. Aleva showed us his ass, the corndogs thought that was great, hooped and hollered and then we kicked that azz in his own house. Fuk all things corndog. Them firing a yearly playoff contender coach shows what a bunch of fuktards they really are. Like that baseball sweep too boys? Karma is a beeotch.

Last edited:

CU-UF

Meh
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Agreed. But he won 2 NC and his job wasn't even safe anymore. People think that a 2018 top 5 Recruiting class is going to help our 2017 offensive production. I do agree that Mac can hold his own water, Nuss should have been gone last year. IMHO, I think he thought by getting Zaire, it was saving his job. We shall see. I hope we do finally put out a SEC caliber offense, they way we used to do. The tools are there, just have to use them correctly.
Just for the record, Les only won one NC.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah we saw how well that's worked out for LSU. They got gruntin' Ed Orgeron and the stellar Joe Aleva as AD. Aleva showed us his ass, the corndogs thought that was great, hooped and hollered and then we kicked that azz in his own house. Fuk all things corndog. Them firing a yearly playoff contender coach shows what a bunch of fuktards they really are. Like that baseball sweep too boys? Karma is a beeotch.
Trust me, Im with you on sticking it to them. But miles was a crummy coach and it was past time for him to hit the road. Their offense has been even worse than ours the past 6 years, and thats despite monster talent and depth everywhere on the team the entire time. Nobody did Les with more than Lester Miles.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not a dumper, but I've even said I think Mac's seat is very hot if the offense looks like trash again this year... love ya 2222, but maybe you're thinking of me who said Mac's seat will be hot? I'm not expecting our offense to be trash again this year, but I firmly believe if it is, Mac's seat will be very uncomfortably warm after this season and I stand behind that. I just can't see the bull gators standing for terrible offense year after year. It's Mac's 3rd year now. He's filled pretty much all the holes, some with questionable talent, but he owns it now. It's time to produce, and show some real improvement. Unlike Swonkey and our favorite aggressive reptile poster I'm not expecting to be in the top 10 on offense this year. We still have the same group pretty much on the Oline, but I do expect improvement. Like top 50ish at least this year. I think our D will be good enough to keep us in the games if our O is top 50ish. Heck, we won the SEC East two years in a row with 100+ Offense...

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016
I never said fire.... if you were an offensive coach on this team the last two years and you could go to another job laterally or even a promotion, you wouldn't take it? Why couldn't he keep his staff together? Did he not clean house so to speak after Dummy left?? I am meaning he could use these new coaches as excuses if the offense is ranked 117th in the nation again this year. It's not like he or Nuss are gonna stand at the podium and take full responsibility IF that happens. They'll just brag about the one top 10 recruiting class they have had in three years at a school that always had top 10 recruiting classes, even when the Zooklander was here!! I mean what was he hired for again? To help the UF dentist school??? Come on man...

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Look I haven't taken the time to read through this whole thread. Here's the way I look at it. Barring a complete disaster this year Mac get's another year. Even with a disappointing season, if the recruits stick and he fills out a class that ends up in the top 5 to 7 he get's another year.

I have not said it here but I have on a private board. I didn't like Mac's style and I didn't think it would attract SEC caliber recruits. At this point it looks like he's going to prove me wrong. I don't think it's a stretch to give him another year to prove he can coach. Especially if you look at the disaster that can happen when you start churning through new guys. Look at the past history of ND, Alabama, Tennessee, now Texas, USC...and the list goes on.

So I have changed from dumper to I'll wait and see. And folks I ain't got a lot of time left.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.