If not Mullen who?

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
I call Meyer, Saban, and Dabo and offer each 10 year 100 million. If all 3 pass which I think Dabo would think long and hard about that contract, then I move to the next step down. I call Peterson, Franklin, Patterson, and yes Smart and offer 10 85 million. If those all turn me down then I go back to normal contracts of 4-6 years and find who ever I could get. I think someone is taking the money and long term contract though.

Big money is what it's gonna take to get an elite coach that's going to take you to the playoffs year after year like a Saban. You just watch and see when Saban retires and Bams goes after Dabo. I'd bet it's a contract for 10 a year.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I call Meyer, Saban, and Dabo and offer each 10 year 100 million. If all 3 pass which I think Dabo would think long and hard about that contract, then I move to the next step down. I call Peterson, Franklin, Patterson, and yes Smart and offer 10 85 million. If those all turn me down then I go back to normal contracts of 4-6 years and find who ever I could get. I think someone is taking the money and long term contract though.

Big money is what it's gonna take to get an elite coach that's going to take you to the playoffs year after year like a Saban. You just watch and see when Saban retires and Bams goes after Dabo. I'd bet it's a contract for 10 a year.

I am happy with Mullen. Frost would not come.

I really wanted Kerwin - That was disillusion.

The only other way I would have gone, the Nation would have freaked...I'd have gone Young Gun form a smaller school with a "Wide Open" Offense.

So, that brings us back to Mullen.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
MY question is...if Stricklin hadn't come from Miss St, would he still have hired Mullen?

Doubt it.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
From my perspective our Miss St AD made a half hearted attempt at a few other coaches like Frost and when they showed little interest moved on. Unless Chip Kelly was lying when he said he was never offered the job. Good thing though as he does not appear to be committed to recruiting.

Weeks before our coaching search should have been narrowed to one prospect Spurrier said our next coach is busy with his team. More than likely he was speaking about Mullen. I do not believe it came down to no other choices but CDM but more that it's who they wanted and anything before that was mostly smoke and mirrors.

If I were to critique Mullen to this point it's that he brought his staff, who appear to me to have been lazy, resigned recruiters at Miss St, and perhaps are not all great position coaches. That could be costly. The next two mistakes are letting Seider and Matt Corral go. I don't think Mullen is strong enough or shrewd enough to hire the best possible from here and think we are stuck with his staff for the foreseeable future.

Good recruiters that build trust with prospects have a pipeline and players will follow the coach(es) if they believe in them. Notice in a year the state of Mississipi has a lot of talent few from Mississippi are interested in coming to UF? Notice as well few from the surrounding states are interested? They didn't have a following from some pretty good players out of Louisiana or Alabama, even Georgia and NWF? Where were those guys recruiting?

Just like I wish Mullen and his staff had won some big games at Miss St I wish they had proven to be good recruiters, the kind that pulled players. Well, they own us now so hopefully it all goes very well. Hey Coach, beat fsu please.

Bayougator

Aug 17, 2018
From my perspective our Miss St AD made a half hearted attempt at a few other coaches like Frost and when they showed little interest moved on. Unless Chip Kelly was lying when he said he was never offered the job. Good thing though as he does not appear to be committed to recruiting.

Weeks before our coaching search should have been narrowed to one prospect Spurrier said our next coach is busy with his team. More than likely he was speaking about Mullen. I do not believe it came down to no other choices but CDM but more that it's who they wanted and anything before that was mostly smoke and mirrors.

If I were to critique Mullen to this point it's that he brought his staff, who appear to me to have been lazy, resigned recruiters at Miss St, and perhaps are not all great position coaches. That could be costly. The next two mistakes are letting Seider and Matt Corral go. I don't think Mullen is strong enough or shrewd enough to hire the best possible from here and think we are stuck with his staff for the foreseeable future.

Good recruiters that build trust with prospects have a pipeline and players will follow the coach(es) if they believe in them. Notice in a year the state of Mississipi has a lot of talent few from Mississippi are interested in coming to UF? Notice as well few from the surrounding states are interested? They didn't have a following from some pretty good players out of Louisiana or Alabama, even Georgia and NWF? Where were those guys recruiting?

Just like I wish Mullen and his staff had won some big games at Miss St I wish they had proven to be good recruiters, the kind that pulled players. Well, they own us now so hopefully it all goes very well. Hey Coach, beat fsu please.
I disagree about Seider. Mullen's offense is over 60% running game. He brought in a RB coach, Knox, who has been with him for years and knows what he wants to do at that position. Starting out of the gate, he needed his offense in place. Down the road he may have to upgrade positions he sees fit. Seider was offered the TE job but went somewhere else where he could be the RB coach. C'est la vie.
Kind of the same thing with Corral. You get to recruit your QB, pick one that fits your system...that guy is Emory Jones. Corral probably wouldn't have stuck around if he knew Mullen had a highly ranked hand-picked QB that fit his offense anyway.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
I am happy with Mullen. Frost would not come.

I really wanted Kerwin - That was disillusion.

The only other way I would have gone, the Nation would have freaked...I'd have gone Young Gun form a smaller school with a "Wide Open" Offense.

So, that brings us back to Mullen.
I would have taken Bell over Mullen as well. And only because I know what I'm getting from Mullen. Bell could come and surprise us who knows. I'm more of a hire an up and comer and take a chance over a guy that you know is not an elite coach. Mullen is not elite.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
I would have taken Bell over Mullen as well. And only because I know what I'm getting from Mullen. Bell could come and surprise us who knows. I'm more of a hire an up and comer and take a chance over a guy that you know is not an elite coach. Mullen is not elite.
I agree on the taking a Young Turk...Disagree on Mullen but we'll know more in a few weeks.

NOLAGATOR

Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Give me a few reasons why you think he's elite.

You give me a few seasons and let's discuss. Neither of us have enough information IMHO

Question: Was Les Miles Elite at one time?

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
how is being positive getting owned? what because I didn't put Mullen down about his record, his lack of recruiting, why we paid 6 mil for him? Hes the HC now, support him or don't. The choice is yours.. I choose to try and be supportive in times of desperation. Karma tends look on those who stay positive.
because anyone can be positive, it's simply a choice. However, you provided a bunch of arguments as a way to justify positivity, and Dougie picked them clean.

Be positive, but recognize it doesn't require any justification.

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016
because anyone can be positive, it's simply a choice. However, you provided a bunch of arguments as a way to justify positivity, and Dougie picked them clean.

Be positive, but recognize it doesn't require any justification.
I agree but those were the only positives things that I could find within our current situation, oh well. Hopefully this year we will have more positives than negatives.

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I disagree about Seider. Mullen's offense is over 60% running game. He brought in a RB coach, Knox, who has been with him for years and knows what he wants to do at that position. Starting out of the gate, he needed his offense in place. Down the road he may have to upgrade positions he sees fit. Seider was offered the TE job but went somewhere else where he could be the RB coach. C'est la vie.
I could live with that if Knox is a great recruiter and he did something to make it work for Seider- more money, title, something. But we don't know that happened, we just know that Seider is gone and our recruiting is slowww.
Kind of the same thing with Corral. You get to recruit your QB, pick one that fits your system...that guy is Emory Jones. Corral probably wouldn't have stuck around if he knew Mullen had a highly ranked hand-picked QB that fit his offense anyway.
I'm unable to locate the film I watched where it looked like he was running Mullen's offense. I thought he did everything well enough and better than either of Mullen's hand picked QBs show on film. We cannot what happened because rightly CDM did not comment on an unsigned recruit.

When I see 3 QBs on roster I think "man, we needed Corral". Hopefully by mid season I am all "Matt who?".

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
You give me a few seasons and let's discuss. Neither of us have enough information IMHO

Question: Was Les Miles Elite at one time?
I would have taken Miles over Mullen if he brought in the right coordinators. I know he can recruit and I like that he's fearless in games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.