It's going to be LDR!

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Okay I'm gonna do it because it's late an I'm am insomniac and a bit of a gluten for punishment. A while back I was curious as to why LDR was the starter (more curious if he was actually capable) prior to being injured. He was certainly a mess once he came back but was his arm always so weak? So just for review lets look at his stats in each game he started:
UMass 29/44 66% 256 yds 2 TD's 0 int
UK 19/32 59% 320 yds 4 td's 1 int
So after two healthy games he's 48/76 63% 576 yds 6 td 1 int

A couple of notes: In the Umass game the first pass was a 60 yarder that went over the head of the receiver. However in the same game he hit Callaway perfectly on a 55 yarder that resulted in a TD. His arm strength wasn't a problem early on. Also there were three perfect passes that were flat out dropped but there were also three passes that were terrible. Two thrown behind backs out of the back field and a lob that went over the ahead of a back in the middle of the field.
The UK game I don't recall any bad throws but my memory is what it is. He cleaned up the earlier mistakes, We won handily but we left points on the field failing in the red zone.

UNT 14/25 56% 186 yds According to LDR his throwing shoulder was hurt on the 3rd or 4th play of the game. Interesting because all though he was still accurate in that game (when he wasn't running for his life) his passes could barely make it 40 yards. Did the shoulder injury limit his arm strength? Of course later in the game he suffered the knee injury.

Next was Mizz and he was terrible 18/38 47% 1 TD 3 ints. Weary of the knee no doubt but the early injury to his throwing arm was getting worse.

Then UGA. Another unspectacular performance 15/25 60% 131 yds 1 td 1int. This time he sustains a worse injury to his non throwing shoulder.

Then if course Arky, 19/37 51% 229 yds 0 tds 2 int. By now LDR has two active injuries one to each shoulder and an iffy knee. Yeah he prolly should have let somebody know about that.

So the question is even though he was horrible as the injuries mounted, he wasn't bad in his two healthy starts. 48/76 63% 576 yds 6 td 1 int. Isn't something to sneeze at.

I look forward to your reasonable and thought out responses.
the UK stats are misleading.
He had 1 great "deep" pass to Callaway, might even be the best pass he has ever made in his life. With the exception of maybe 1 or 2 other under 15 yard passes, pretty much everything else was LOS passes where the ball carrier and blockers made things happen.

Plus the only games he does decent is against UK and UMass? come on man...not impressed in the least. Any decent QB should be at or above 70% completion in those games.

Uncle Rob

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2016
It is drilled into all of the players from a young age, that you have to overcome adversity, which is why they play injured. That, and the fact that once you lose your starting spot, you might never get it back. I admire his grit in going out there hurt but question his judgment of his ability. Even Tebow said that he lied about the state of his concussion after he got knocked out of the Kentucky game and was not the same until the Cincinnati Bowl game.

Del Rio consistently under threw the long ball last year and it hurt us. Maybe it was because of his injuries, or maybe he just doesn't have the arm strength. He will have the opportunity to show what he can do in camp. May the best man win. Hopefully if the starter is not playing well, Mac will yank him and let the next guy try. Chances are we will need more than one QB throughout the season.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
the UK stats are misleading.
He had 1 great "deep" pass to Callaway, might even be the best pass he has ever made in his life. With the exception of maybe 1 or 2 other under 15 yard passes, pretty much everything else was LOS passes where the ball carrier and blockers made things happen..
And yet... he ran the offense that Nusschump calls and above all else "he threw it to the guys wearing the right color jerseys".... just like Grier did.

I agree with you, LDR is a two star kid who isn't an SEC QB, just like Trask and Allen. However, it doesn't affect how Butters and Nusschump think of him.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
And yet... he ran the offense that Nusschump calls and above all else "he threw it to the guys wearing the right color jerseys".... just like Grier did.

I agree with you, LDR is a two star kid who isn't an SEC QB, just like Trask and Allen. However, it doesn't affect how Butters and Nusschump think of him.
we don't need rehash this conversation. :lol:

The pieces are better this year than him. People hate to hear it, but Applebees was only a marginal improvement and in a couple ways, a downgrade, especially earlier in the season. He was a good kid and began to learn quickly towards the end, but neither option was any good last year, it is that simple.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Okay I'm gonna do it because it's late an I'm am insomniac and a bit of a gluten for punishment. A while back I was curious as to why LDR was the starter (more curious if he was actually capable) prior to being injured. He was certainly a mess once he came back but was his arm always so weak? So just for review lets look at his stats in each game he started:
UMass 29/44 66% 256 yds 2 TD's 0 int
UK 19/32 59% 320 yds 4 td's 1 int
So after two healthy games he's 48/76 63% 576 yds 6 td 1 int

A couple of notes: In the Umass game the first pass was a 60 yarder that went over the head of the receiver. However in the same game he hit Callaway perfectly on a 55 yarder that resulted in a TD. His arm strength wasn't a problem early on. Also there were three perfect passes that were flat out dropped but there were also three passes that were terrible. Two thrown behind backs out of the back field and a lob that went over the ahead of a back in the middle of the field.
The UK game I don't recall any bad throws but my memory is what it is. He cleaned up the earlier mistakes, We won handily but we left points on the field failing in the red zone.

UNT 14/25 56% 186 yds According to LDR his throwing shoulder was hurt on the 3rd or 4th play of the game. Interesting because all though he was still accurate in that game (when he wasn't running for his life) his passes could barely make it 40 yards. Did the shoulder injury limit his arm strength? Of course later in the game he suffered the knee injury.

Next was Mizz and he was terrible 18/38 47% 1 TD 3 ints. Weary of the knee no doubt but the early injury to his throwing arm was getting worse.

Then UGA. Another unspectacular performance 15/25 60% 131 yds 1 td 1int. This time he sustains a worse injury to his non throwing shoulder.

Then if course Arky, 19/37 51% 229 yds 0 tds 2 int. By now LDR has two active injuries one to each shoulder and an iffy knee. Yeah he prolly should have let somebody know about that.

So the question is even though he was horrible as the injuries mounted, he wasn't bad in his two healthy starts. 48/76 63% 576 yds 6 td 1 int. Isn't something to sneeze at.

I look forward to your reasonable and thought out responses.

You have celiac disease? That must suck.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks. Or, you will thank me for preparing you when they trot LDR out against Michigan :lol:
Sorry, I'm just not going to take an article essentially written by Luke Del Douche himself as meaning anything other than him pimping himself. Nor do I give a rats ass what anyone at Gatorsports has to say. They are and have always been terrible.

You're welcome to keep up your mindless evaluations, keep buyin that coach speak homie :thumbup:

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
His arm strength wasn't a problem early on.
I'm not sure if you ever went to a game and saw LDR in person. I was at the UMASS game and wrote up my 2 cents in a thread about LDR after it. You can't really seeing the ball trajectory or velocity on TV and you also miss the QB's throwing motion if the camera cuts away or follows the ball.

But while yes he threw a couple of deep balls in the game and he managed the game okay and looked the part, the one thing I came away with about LDR was that he had a weak arm. He threw with very little velocity and the balls tended to lob and loop around the field. He almost always threw off his back foot when he got the slightest bit of pressure and he tended to look like he was playing in fear of being hit.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My sources say that LDR will NEVER take another meaningful snap at QB at UF

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I think they may be right after these early practices. They need to go ahead and give Zaire and Franks all the first team snaps.
That's the funny thing about mac tho. Everyone said the first year when grier and treon were battling that it wasnt even close. Then the season started and it was readily apparent that it wasn't even close, not even in the same stratosphere... and yet, treon kept being put in to play. I'm not even sold that clearly looking like one is behind another is enough to be confident that the better of the 2 will be the one playing.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That's the funny thing about mac tho. Everyone said the first year when grier and treon were battling that it wasnt even close. Then the season started and it was readily apparent that it wasn't even close, not even in the same stratosphere... and yet, treon kept being put in to play. I'm not even sold that clearly looking like one is behind another is enough to be confident that the better of the 2 will be the one playing.
Yea, it was probably better if Mac never got the one and only ACTUAL back up into any games to get any experience

Either you are trolling or you deep throat every single word of coach speak...You guys crack me up :lol2:

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
ither you are trolling or you deep throat every single word of coach speak...You guys crack me up :lol2:
ehhh what? my post had nothing to do with coach speak. i dont even listen to what mac says. im just talking about what was said during camp by reports who got to see the practices, and then the play the first few games that matched what was said. grier looked a million light years better, but they kept splitting reps for 3 games, and it was one or 2 series and then a switch. Wasn't like it was 3rd or 4th qtr and then the backup comes in for mop up duty.

I do not deep throat, have a bad gag reflex, thank you very much :proud:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.