Recruiting New DT Commit

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Forgot the *in before the chicken littles*

He's a big boy is right, now to land another DT (higher rated would be nice of course) and some LBs
Well, I'm not sure how they "star" them. Maybe he's too short for another star or two but he looks like a serious player in the films. He completely dominates the high schoolers and seems to have a mean streak and a good motor with decent speed. A very good prospect indeed.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He's a lot quicker than I expected for his size and appears to be much more than a run stuffer. I can't imagine a scenario where wouldn't offer/sign this guy, despite the ranking. I guess some people are slaves to the rank and can not trust their own eyes when watching film.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
At this kids size, and speed he will be able to contribute as a Freshman. He is 3* much like the 250 OT's are 5* camps and athletic ability. DT in our defense is about eating space and this kid appears to have that. I wonder after the reevaluations after his senior season if he will get a jump. DT is one position I don't mind 3* if they have size and the ability to grow in their bodies, similar to large Offensive linemen.

Towels 'N Sporks

We R Bad Cause Urban Cheated on Wife
May 19, 2016
It's always good to pick up some solid recruits like this early so that you can dedicate more time to bringing in the bigger recruits from here on out.
That being said, here we are recruiting for 2017, and we haven't had a consensus 5 star recruit at an offensive skill position since 2009 - Andre Debose. So I can understand people's frustrations when they see news about us pulling in 3 star DTs

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I would much rather us get four and five star DTs. That being said we are starving for that position. If he has the size and he's been evaluated properly then it's positive. A bunch of space eaters at DT, Athletic linebackers, and elite pass rushers. That's what we want. Pretty much every DE that we are getting are 4 and 5 star. And TBH, that is much more critical.

Volume is important at DT. Half of them will wash out of the program anyway. As long as it's peppered with one or two elite DT a class.

GatorTAG

Paid Member
Lifetime Member
Oct 21, 2014
Omar Hunter was a 6'00" DT. 6'00" and 310lbs coming out of high school and a 5* to boot. He moved well for a short heavy guy. He was a tank that was supposed to be a superstar in college but had a pretty insignificant career at UF. I bring him up only because he's the only short fat DT I remember in recent times.

gators4224

Apr 30, 2016
here's a thought. Would you rather have one stud can't miss defensive tackle or three lower rated defensive tackles. I'd pick three lower rated defensive tackles with the hope that one exceeds expectations and at the very minimum we can rotate bodies

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Omar Hunter was a 6'00" DT. 6'00" and 310lbs coming out of high school and a 5* to boot. He moved well for a short heavy guy. He was a tank that was supposed to be a superstar in college but had a pretty insignificant career at UF. I bring him up only because he's the only short fat DT I remember in recent times.

This kid has speed Hunter only dreamt about.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
After watching his tape:

1. There is very little that will tell you if he is any good. We have no idea about technique. In the highlights, he dominated because he so overmatched his opponent physically. That won't happen in college.

2. He does seem quick off the ball. However, at other times he looks really slow coming out of his stance.

3. He played hard. On one play he chased down a back.

4. He is way overweight. That fat will have to come off.

I see potential. Beyond that we have no idea. We will have to trust the coaches on this one.

Last edited:

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law and other have said this dozens of times, stars mean far, far less among DT's and OL. Some examples from Bama:

Marcell Dareus 3*
Terrence Cody 3*
Jarran Reed 3*

This is not including solid contributors that I never noticed. The one thing Bama does is recruit numbers. It's terribly hard to project DT's

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
There is no reason to complain about this. All the other schools want him in spite of his rankings, and the rankings fluctuate anyways. He'll probably be a 4 star by the time he signs. Anyways, that doesn't matter. We need large, strong players at DT and the coaches finally got one in. Hopefully there will be more to come. Welcome aboard, Jordan!

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
It's always good to pick up some solid recruits like this early so that you can dedicate more time to bringing in the bigger recruits from here on out.
That being said, here we are recruiting for 2017, and we haven't had a consensus 5 star recruit at an offensive skill position since 2009 - Andre Debose. So I can understand people's frustrations when they see news about us pulling in 3 star DTs

5 star- Andre Debose
4/3(lol) star- Antonio Callaway

Which one turned out better? A lot of our higher ranked offensive players have fizzled out unfortunately.

Last edited:

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
.... recruiting rankings are made by guys that don't evaluate players because their job depends on it.

Okay, you surprised me, and said one thing I agree with wholeheartedly.

Some people (here and elsewhere) put a huge amount of stock in the stars awarded by the various rating services, without apparently ever thinking at all about the experience and background of the people making those evaluations. And if all some of them look at it is highlight films, they're making their guesses off a biased sample, plus no (first-hand) consideration of the players' character, coachability, or academic prowess. It's a jump-on-the-bandwagon, and pass on other peoples' opinions as your own, kind of business.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
5 star- Andre Debose
4/3(lol) star- Antonio Callaway

Which one turned out better? A lot of our higher ranked offensive players have fizzled out unfortunately.

If only Andre got a 7th season of eligibilty it would've been his breakout year...or at least Robbie Andreu would've predicted such.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Right now, we are in a similar position as we were along the o-line when Mac took over. We need bodies. I don't care about stars as much. We just need quality bodies. This kid seems to be one. Teach him how to play the game and let him clog the lane.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Well I don't see how those watching this guy's films can waffle on his pancakes. :confused:
As to technique, the guy has a 3.9 GPA - that's evidence that he absorbs advancing info and
makes it part of himself. The scientific weight-training of college will transform into less fat, more muscle.
So he leaves behind opponents that he massively over-matches with his size, such that pancaking gives
way to throwing SEC blockers off-balance out of his way. With natural size he will learn to be a mainstay in
our Gator interior defensive line. Let's take mislabelled 3* linemen and turn them into 5* Gators on the
"real-field".

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator