Roper's playcalling

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Lack of play action passing and running outside seem to be lacking otherwise improved. Now to those who love passing I remind them of the 72 Dolphins, kill them with an running offense and then pass. As long as it works do it.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Durty South Swamp;n51278 said:
I think its much improved and you can tell that he wants to challenge downfield. He has called multiple plays challenging the secondary deep, the problem is that if drizzy is the one throwing it, its way overthrown and uncatchable. After multiple deep calls ending this way, we have had to revert back to the short dink and dunk stuff. If driskel was hitting those deep throws I think the game the other night would have been completely different. Not pinning everything on driskel, but I also think the play calling has been a product of Roper being forced to call short stuff b/c thats all Jeff seems to be able to handle.

You can't make chicken salad out of chicken shiite, or so I've heard.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
20 pts in regulation vs Tucky.

Good luck against the big boys...I think this O gets eaten up by Bama, LSU, UGA, FSU

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I think it's been fine...it's the execution.

Now that he knows what he's dealing with (the talent he has to work with), I expect him to make appropriate adjustments.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
G8RNGA;n51303 said:
Roper's play calling is fine. Some were booing the constant runs, but I think he was taking what the defense was giving AND putting the ball in the hot hands of Jones. I was hoping the runs would set up the pass and although that happened on occasion, it was usually a short pass and the receiver made a play. I saw WRs out running the defender many times and even wide open (2 WRs) in the end zone on the poor throw to Robinson. I think JD needs to improve what's between his ears. I don't think play calling helps that and it actually limits Ropers ability to call more of what he'd like if he trusted his QB more. I try to remember that JD is playing his second game since his injury a year ago. I'm hoping improvements will be seen this week from last.

I think this is a pretty fair assessment. Roper is smart and realized he had to work with what the defense was giving him and what his team seemed to be able to execute on a somewhat consistant basis. After seeing how Driskel was throwing the deep balls in the first half he wasn't going to keep going to back that dry well. He went to what was working despite the fact that it appeared predictable and frustrating to watch at times. The middle of the game is not the time to try an figure out why the QB is having trouble on the long balls. Just do what you can to win the game and work on the techniques in practice. That said, obviously, for us to have any success going forward Driskel is going to have to figure out how to hit the deep routes and the offensive line is going to have to learn how to pass block or this offense will not work as designed and we're no better than 7-5. It's also obvious that our defense will not be winning any games for us this year.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
divits;n51331 said:
That said, obviously, for us to have any success going forward Driskel is going to have to figure out how to hit the deep routes and the offensive line is going to have to learn how to pass block or this offense will not work as designed and we're no better than 7-5. It's also obvious that our defense will not be winning any games for us this year.

We only play 11 regular season games this year....

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
BMF said:
divits;n51331 said:
That said, obviously, for us to have any success going forward Driskel is going to have to figure out how to hit the deep routes and the offensive line is going to have to learn how to pass block or this offense will not work as designed and we're no better than 7-5. It's also obvious that our defense will not be winning any games for us this year.

You forgot about our chance at the "Stay Puff Marshmallow Bowl" in Peoria, IL.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
BMF said:
divits;n51331 said:

Good point BMF, Foley doesn't count bowl games anymore.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
BMF said:
divits;n51331 said:

I understand about the bowl game, but usually when someone says "what do you think our record will be this year?" it's usually based on regular season. 2 reasons: 1) you don't know who you're playing in the bowl game, so how can you say we'll win or lose? 2) what if we win the East? Then that's 2 more games. So 7-5 would be wrong...we'd play 13 games this year if we win the East...and possible 14 if we made the playoff and if we win...another game.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
williston_gator;n51362 said:
Keep in mind we are currently top team in the East. 691 pass yards and 6 tds to 1 int on 88 attempts (63.7%) with 496 rush yards and 5 tds 0 fumbles (5.6 ypc). We just had a guy go 15 for 226 yards and 2 tds FFS. I'd say things are at the very least looking up.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/stats/_/id/57/florida-gators

And that is with one of our games being cancelled.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator said:
Gator Fever;n51308 said:
Yep I thought it was smart to start pounding KY when we did. We probably lose the game if we didn't go that route.

So you agree that giving the ball to Jones repeatedly was a good idea?
If Driskel keeps the ball when they crashed on Taylor a few times he would have had a TD on one play and huge gains on another 2 I saw.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We put up a total of 3800 yards last year and are already at 1187 after TWO games. Not that it'll continue like that, but still.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
25 total offensive TDs last year to the 11 in two games this year.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
williston_gator;n51375 said:
We put up a total of 3800 yards last year and are already at 1187 after TWO games. Not that it'll continue like that, but still.

I think 20 points against KY in regulation is kind of telling however with all those dink and dunk type plays.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Defense gave up points too. that seems to easily get lost in all this.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n51308 said:
Yep I thought it was smart to start pounding KY when we did. We probably lose the game if we didn't go that route.

That's right. And the ground game worked all night. You could sense it in that last OT that perhaps UF had broken UK's spirit.

I also think Roper's playcalling is fine. We had over 500 yards of offense. Last year we would have killed to have those numbers. I would expect that Roper is implementing in small doses and he puts more in this week. We see what he did against an overwhelming FSU in the ACCCG last year. We have not seen the super Up tempo that he ran at Duke. So far its been more like just a regular no huddle. I would expect to see UF really speed things up this week. See more of the slip screens and challenge a bit more down field. JD did miss some open deep balls last week but the WR's also dropped too. Roper is fine and feel we'll be ok.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
TN G8tr said:
Gator Fever;n51308 said:

That's right. And the ground game worked all night. You could sense it in that last OT that perhaps UF had broken UK's spirit.

I also think Roper's playcalling is fine. We had over 500 yards of offense. Last year we would have killed to have those numbers. I would expect that Roper is implementing in small doses and he puts more in this week. We see what he did against an overwhelming FSU in the ACCCG last year. We have not seen the super Up tempo that he ran at Duke. So far its been more like just a regular no huddle. I would expect to see UF really speed things up this week. See more of the slip screens and challenge a bit more down field. JD did miss some open deep balls last week but the WR's also dropped too. Roper is fine and feel we'll be ok.
You mean A&M ? FSU shut Duke down with no problem last season.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Gator Fever;n51308 said:

No WE DO lose that game if we didn't start and keep pounding them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator