RUMOR: A QB won't be back next year

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
RUMOR: Coach McElwain Discovers Crest White Strips, says he may start using them after the bowl game.

Bowl game-- you mean Mac is still playing with those floaty rubber ducks in the toilet?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
He was looking ok for the few games he had played for us against SEC defenses, and I bet he was only going to improve the more he played. Also he seemed to be "clutch" when we needed it most. Something we hadn't had since Tebow. I don't really think that is something that you can teach, you have it or you don't.

Balls may be the word you're looking for or perhaps winner.....neither of those seem to grow on trees lately ....

He played decently against UK (got benched, 31st pass D), Tennessee (57th ranked pass D) , and Ole Miss (101st Pass D). Other than Tennessee when did he look clutch? He had better tools than anyone we have seen in the last few years, but who did he beat that we shouldn't have beaten? Let's not start comparing him to Tebow just yet. We are calling him a winner because he beat ECU, New Mexico, Tennessee, Kentucky, Missouri, and Kentucky? Really? Shows how far we truly have fallen if this is the list of opponents that gets a Gator qb called a winner, that's just pitiful.

We don't know what we had except a talent that had the potential to be really good.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
He played decently against UK (got benched, 31st pass D), Tennessee (57th ranked pass D) , and Ole Miss (101st Pass D). Other than Tennessee when did he look clutch? He had better tools than anyone we have seen in the last few years, but who did he beat that we shouldn't have beaten? Let's not start comparing him to Tebow just yet. We are calling him a winner because he beat ECU, New Mexico, Tennessee, Kentucky, Missouri, and Kentucky? Really? Shows how far we truly have fallen if this is the list of opponents that gets a Gator qb called a winner, that's just pitiful.

We don't know what we had except a talent that had the potential to be really good.
Yeah it's better for him that he's gone because the stinch of this staff probably would have ruined him anyway....

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah it's better for him that he's gone because the stinch of this staff probably would have ruined him anyway....

Crete, I will agree that I think his tool are better off somewhere else. That's not a knock on him, his skill set is better for a place like WVU where his gun slinging mentality will be fully used. It's not a skill set that is best suited for the offense McElwain has shown at Alabama, CSU, or here. Especially being my guess is that we will have a different coach and offensive system in 2018.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
And I'll go further by saying that most of what little he did wasn't anything that the staff taught him...Ya know useful QB skills like knowing when to haul ass and pick up huge chunks of yardage, or how to actually use a pocket the way a true CFB level QB does to get to his second and third reads.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016

Also I think we were like 10 for 10 on 4th down while he played QB for us, I never said he was Tebow, just said he was "clutch" in the short time we had him. Obviously you were not that impressed with him, I guess you think Del Rio or Treon would have won that Tennessee game last year. The guy was a good player with the potential to be possibly great, if you couldn't see that I can't help you.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
One post sent me a memory-flash on Tebow. Just think how "perfect" he perform as a freshman in that
specialyQB role. Then, I just wonder how stellar he might have been as our full-time first-string QB.??

Further, if Tebow was such an un-ideal thrower why can't someone with super sharp athleticism
be "trained" into being a workable QB-leader. Remember when we were so QB-lost we tried
Wes Chandler as QB ? (a super athletic specimen)

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
And I'll go further by saying that most of what little he did wasn't anything that the staff taught him...Ya know useful QB skills like knowing when to haul ass and pick up huge chunks of yardage, or how to actually use a pocket the way a true CFB level QB does to get to his second and third reads.

Again, I'm not knocking his natural ability, that was evidence. It's the mental and decision making aspect we don't have the evidence to see the progression. He took chances against inferior opponents that worked, against LSU, FSU, and Alabama would those same chances have worked? I don't know. We don't have the evidence. He did have really good field vision, which isn't taught (in my opinion). We also don't know his full potential because of the line he was working behind. I'm not so sure running for your life is a usefull skill, it might have been just trying to live behind our line.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Also I think we were like 10 for 10 on 4th down while he played QB for us, I never said he was Tebow, just said he was "clutch" in the short time we had him.

He was clutch against Tennessee... same was said about Driskel in 2012.

Obviously you were not that impressed with him, I guess you think Del Rio or Treon would have won that Tennessee game last year.

Didn't say that, don't have the evidence for it. But we have had a number of "world beaters" beat Tennessee it's something we are supposed to do at home. Tennessee's defense played us like we played this in the second half of this year. Grier made some great plays, but he didn't make them in a vacuum.

The guy was a good player with the potential to be possibly great, if you couldn't see that I can't help you.

obviously didn't read the last line of the post you quoted.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
He was clutch against Tennessee... same was said about Driskel in 2012.

Didn't say that, don't have the evidence for it. But we have had a number of "world beaters" beat Tennessee it's something we are supposed to do at home. Tennessee's defense played us like we played this in the second half of this year. Grier made some great plays, but he didn't make them in a vacuum.

obviously didn't read the last line of the post you quoted.

2012 Tennessee was no where as good as 2015 Tennessee was and records back that up. I don't remember Driskel going 5 for 5 on 4th down and leading a 13 point 4th qtr comeback either in that game. He had a nice game against a far more inferior team than Grier played. Driskel also had a way better o-line in front of him than Grier did. Not a good comparison as at all, do a little homework next time.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
2012 Tennessee was no where as good as 2015 Tennessee was and records back that up. I don't remember Driskel going 5 for 5 on 4th down and leading a 13 point 4th qtr comeback either in that game. He had a nice game against a far more inferior team than Grier played. Driskel also had a way better o-line in front of him than Grier did. Not a good comparison as at all, do a little homework next time.

So of all the arguments you put forward this is what you are going to defend? Maybe message boards aren't for you. Saying what was said about someone and saying that the two teams were equal are vastly two different things.

Mr. "Do so homework" pull your panties out of the bunch, and lets have a real conversation. I guess Grier all showed he was all world and we would be back to back national titles right now if he was starting right? Who are the quarterbacks to beat Tennessee Driskel, Brantely, Murphy, Tebow, Leak, Grossman, Palmer, Wuerfell, etc.. so lets not pretend beating Tennessee makes you great.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Dougie is a relative of Driskel. He tries.

My only defense of Driskel, was and always has been he wasn't the only issue we had. His best receiver is now a db in the NFL. Driskel was pitiful, but so was everything around him.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Driskel was pitiful, but so was everything around him.
The OL was the best we've had this decade and the RBs were good. But you are right. He wasn't the only issue we had.

He probably could be playing in the NFL today if he had been moved to TE. He is at least as talented as Jordan Reed. It wasn't his fault we had no better QB talent on the roster.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The OL was the best we've had this decade and the RBs were good. But you are right. He wasn't the only issue we had.

He probably could be playing in the NFL today if he had been moved to TE. He is at least as talented as Jordan Reed. It wasn't his fault we had no better QB talent on the roster.

Agree, he would have been a good TE or H back. It still surprises me that he is still on a NFL teams active roster as a QB. Then again it's the Bengals.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
So of all the arguments you put forward this is what you are going to defend? Maybe message boards aren't for you. Saying what was said about someone and saying that the two teams were equal are vastly two different things.

Mr. "Do so homework" pull your panties out of the bunch, and lets have a real conversation. I guess Grier all showed he was all world and we would be back to back national titles right now if he was starting right? Who are the quarterbacks to beat Tennessee Driskel, Brantely, Murphy, Tebow, Leak, Grossman, Palmer, Wuerfell, etc.. so lets not pretend beating Tennessee makes you great.

I apologize for saying " do your homework " I read your quote wrong. A real conversation you seek, ok. How many games did you need to see to believe Tebow , Mathews ,Grossman , Leak and Wuerfell play to think they were gonna be something special? I never once said anything about Grier leading us to natty championships. I think, like many others, that Grier had the "it" factor that we haven't seen at QB around here in awhile. He had a lightning quick release, he was accurate, and he didn't seem to get rattled. Grier played behind a terrible offensive line and had little run support and had limited playmakers around him. Now any of those former great QBs I mentioned before didn't have a lack of talent around them. How would they have done with no o-line and limited offensive support? They wouldn't have been as good that's for sure. So even though the sample size was 6 games, what I saw, like many others , was a budding star. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one, but your in the minority on this one. We're all Gators on this board and have our own opinions and that's why I like this chat room, it's not as censored as other places, which allows for at times some intense debates, criticism, and personal attacks( which I think are funny as hell and don't take them personal when thrown in my direction ). So fire away. Lol

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Agree, he would have been a good TE or H back. It still surprises me that he is still on a NFL teams active roster as a QB. Then again it's the Bengals.
Yeah, I'm a bit surprised but apparently if they take him off the roster then SF gets him back. Next year will be the thing. I suspect he stays on the practice squad. They could always try to switch positions with him to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.