Should Foley be given carte blanche on the next hire?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
New presidents often bring "their guys" with them, especially if they see the need due to a raging dumpster fire.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
gardnerwebbalumnigator;n77903 said:
SOS - not him
Zook - 100% him
Meyer - Bernie, not him
Duncechamp - 100% him

0-2

Answer......HELL NO!

If hiring Meyer was all Bernie, and not him, and we had to fight off Notre Dame for Meyer, then who was Notre Dame's Utah-connection, because according to your logic, it's obvious that no athletic director was involved in our hiring of Meyer, so I guess no athletic director was involved in ND's attempt to hire him.

I guess somebody other than Foley was responsible for hiring two-time national champion Billy Donovan.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n77910]Gatorious, please weigh in on how the search for Machen's replacement impacts going about a potential replacement for Muschamp. The letter you posted indicates the new president will be ratified Oct. 15. Obviously, there's a timing element here.[/QUOTE]

Same e-mail all members of UFAA, including myself, got. Look, even if a new president is selected by the end of this week, if you think that new president will take over within a month or even by the end of the semester, you just don't know how universities work. As a professor at a university (D-II in GA), our current president was selected in early spring semester of the year she started, and didn't take over until the start of our fiscal year, July 1 of that year. It was at least 4 to 6 months before she took over. It's very likely that whoever is selected for UF won't take over the start of Spring semester, at the earliest.

Munk

Quitter
Aug 3, 2014
t-gator;n77921 said:
Who cares if he was coach in waiting at Texas? They sucked worse than we did when we hired him. Is coach in waiting supposed to be some kind of Merritt badge? Is Texas the mecca of college football? Hell no. Tired of hearing about it the truth is half the fan base was extremely disappointed when he was hired and I was one of em.

[youtube]C6cxNR9ML8k [/youtube]

Hindsight is 20/20.

Truth is, other schools wanted to hire the guy as well. I thought it looked good at the time. His pedigree looked good. Players seemed to like to play for the guy. His record as a DC was solid. No way did I, or the majority of fans, think he would screw the pooch harder than Zook. (hell, its so bad now I think the pooch is actually screwing him )... anyways

Wies was a bad hire and it's been a downward spiral ever since.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
SavannahGator;n78052 said:
Same e-mail all members of UFAA, including myself, got. Look, even if a new president is selected by the end of this week, if you think that new president will take over within a month or even by the end of the semester, you just don't know how universities work. As a professor at a university (D-II in GA), our current president was selected in early spring semester of the year she started, and didn't take over until the start of our fiscal year, July 1 of that year. It was at least 4 to 6 months before she took over. It's very likely that whoever is selected for UF won't take over the start of Spring semester, at the earliest.

That being the case, this is likely to end up squarely in Foley's hands regardless. I would like to add that the point of the thread was to solicit whether posters felt Foley should be given carte blanche rather than will he be given it.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I feel Fooley should be fired before the next coach is hired. Not because he hired Chimp but because he didn't fire him when it was obvious he wasn't capable of doing the job.

Munk

Quitter
Aug 3, 2014
Foley is waiting to find out who is going to be next president at UF. He needs to make sure the buyout won't bite him in the arse after those ND like contract extensions.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Why wouldn't the new president let the established AD do his job? that's an honest question.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
williston_gator;n78392 said:
Why wouldn't the new president let the established AD do his job? that's an honest question.

Because then need to complain will never cease. I really feel sorry for the lead janitor at UF. It's just a matter of time before he's part of the problem.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Because the only thing that is established is that Fooley isn't capable of making decisions about hiring football coaches, the only part of his job that really matters.

Maybe if he prays at the goalposts more often, things will change.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n78408 said:
Because the only thing that is established is that Fooley isn't capable of making decisions about hiring football coaches, the only part of his job that really matters.

Maybe if he prays at the goalposts more often, things will change.

He has like 15 sports to oversee. I don't buy into the thought football is the only part of his job that matters.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It doesn't matter if you don't buy into it or not. Football pays the bills, the rest are just sucklings that live off the football teet.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

If Foley really is considered one of the best AD's in the country then no brand new President will override him in picking our new coach.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe Foley will retire as well. Ride off into the sunset. i think we need some new blood in here from the top down. The time is nigh.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n78417 said:
Maybe Foley will retire as well. Ride off into the sunset. i think we need some new blood in here from the top down. The time is nigh.

Maybe, but right now Foley's legacy is tied to Muschamp and he d#$% well knows it. I think he'll want to make the next hire to take credit for 'righting the ship'.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
G 2;n78460 said:
Maybe, but right now Foley's legacy is tied to Muschamp and he d#$% well knows it. I think he'll want to make the next hire to take credit for 'righting the ship'.

Question is, does he try to make it a double or nothing proposition?

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
You know what I hate? After reading this entire thread I can't stand the fact that I hate my own school football coach with every fiber of my being. I can't believe I would ever feel that way about my alma mater's coach. I hate that part most of all. It's like I've got a migraine and I can't get rid of it. Watching the clip of Muchamp in his playing days on another thread didn't help much. No more Muschamp pressers for me for the sake of my mental and physical health. Sheesh...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.