Should Foley be given carte blanche on the next hire?

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n78415 said:
It doesn't matter if you don't buy into it or not. Football pays the bills, the rest are just sucklings that live off the football teet.

I think that's a bit short-sided. I'm not denying that football plays a big role, but people seems to think it's the only sport that AD's need to focus on. It's more than that. I know you and everyone are frustrated though and I get that.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This board tires me.

I read all of the discontent. I see a lack of contextualization. I am clearly composed differently than many, if not most, of the posters here. Though I'm not a strong contributor, I read / lurk on this board every day. Perhaps I need to make myself scarce around here until things turn around 'cause it's hard for me to read all of the definitive, negative comments about our AD, head coach, and QB. ...and most of you certainly don't want to hear what I would say about these subjects or in response to most of these comments, name calling, and other manifestations of "fan-hood."

Perhaps I should say it this simply. I have confidence in Foley. I'm not convinced that Muschamp is a failure yet. I don't think Driskel is the long-term solution, though he might need to play enough to smoothly transition to Treon. I know I'm in the minority, but that, in itself, doesn't prove who's right or wrong.

Regardless, reading this board is beginning to affect me the way Drake describes Muschamp's pressers. Sheesh is right...

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
The candidates for UF president don't jump out at me as having any football experience. Cornell, NYU, and University of Groningen don't scream football power houses. So Foley hired 2 duds. All athletic directors hire duds at some point. This doesn't deter from the great hires he has made. Let the man do his job.

http://presidentsearch.ufl.edu/about/chairman-updates/

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
cornbread;n78053 said:
please don't use logic savannah, it's not welcome here

Yeah, and it's even worse over at GSMB, which I frequent as well. There, logic has been totally left behind.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n78415 said:
It doesn't matter if you don't buy into it or not. Football pays the bills, the rest are just sucklings that live off the football teet.

Football TV contracts pay the bills. And win or lose, we're still getting a LOT of gelt from those football TV contracts. Unless for some bizarre reason we decide to do what SC did in the 1970s, when they left the ACC to become an independent. Since we're not leaving the SEC, I don't think I'd worry about the constant rivers of cash flowing into the athletic department.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
SavannahGator;n78706 said:
Football TV contracts pay the bills.
Not really sure what point you are making their. I guess you are agreeing that football pays the bills.

The difference between a sold out stadium and the one with the sundeck nearly empty funds all the programs except basketball.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
MidwestChomp;n78678 said:
The candidates for UF president don't jump out at me as having any football experience. Cornell, NYU, and University of Groningen don't scream football power houses. So Foley hired 2 duds. All athletic directors hire duds at some point. This doesn't deter from the great hires he has made. Let the man do his job.

http://presidentsearch.ufl.edu/about/chairman-updates/

Well yes, UF is THE University of Florida and at 48th among ALL major universities (according to US News & World Report) and 14th among all public universities, does anyone here seriously think that the first mission of The University of Florida is something other than academics? Among those three academics, only the provost of Cornell is from a university that has a football team, and they are in the Ivy League. Whichever one is hired from those three will almost certainly defer to Foley in all matters of athletics.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
EuroGator;n78664 said:
This board tires me.

I read all of the discontent. I see a lack of contextualization. I am clearly composed differently than many, if not most, of the posters here. Though I'm not a strong contributor, I read / lurk on this board every day. Perhaps I need to make myself scarce around here until things turn around 'cause it's hard for me to read all of the definitive, negative comments about our AD, head coach, and QB. ...and most of you certainly don't want to hear what I would say about these subjects or in response to most of these comments, name calling, and other manifestations of "fan-hood."

Perhaps I should say it this simply. I have confidence in Foley. I'm not convinced that Muschamp is a failure yet. I don't think Driskel is the long-term solution, though he might need to play enough to smoothly transition to Treon. I know I'm in the minority, but that, in itself, doesn't prove who's right or wrong.

Regardless, reading this board is beginning to affect me the way Drake describes Muschamp's pressers. Sheesh is right...

You need to raise your expectations.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
G 2;n78724 said:
You need to raise your expectations.

I don't think so. I'm not satisfied with the results, but I don't ignore the context in which certain things occur.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
EuroGator;n78664 said:
This board tires me.

I understand this feeling and wouldn't blame you for not coming back if it's really that depressing to you. It's a rough time, and some people can't handle it emotionally. I would recommend to anyone feeling that way to avoid any fan message boards until a new coach is hired. When that happens, you're going to see a LOT of people come out of the woodwork to get unified in support again. It sucks when the fan base isn't on the same page.

I often wonder what this board would be like if it was done in the Tebow era. I'd bet you we'd have AT LEAST triple the membership, and probably more. Too much apathy these days.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
SavannahGator;n78722 said:
Whichever one is hired from those three will almost certainly defer to an AD in all matters of athletics.
FIFY.

No guarantees that the new guy doesn't want his own people. That is always the case when you get a new boss in any organization.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
SavannahGator;n78722 said:
Well yes, UF is THE University of Florida and at 48th among ALL major universities (according to US News & World Report) and 14th among all public universities, does anyone here seriously think that the first mission of The University of Florida is something other than academics? Among those three academics, only the provost of Cornell is from a university that has a football team, and they are in the Ivy League. Whichever one is hired from those three will almost certainly defer to Foley in all matters of athletics.

Was that necessarily the case in full when Machen came in?

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n78771 said:
I understand this feeling and wouldn't blame you for not coming back if it's really that depressing to you. It's a rough time, and some people can't handle it emotionally. I would recommend to anyone feeling that way to avoid any fan message boards until a new coach is hired. When that happens, you're going to see a LOT of people come out of the woodwork to get unified in support again. It sucks when the fan base isn't on the same page.

I often wonder what this board would be like if it was done in the Tebow era. I'd bet you we'd have AT LEAST triple the membership, and probably more. Too much apathy these days.

I am afraid the apathy is worse than the complaining... I used to whine and carry on... now, like KC, I think I will just find something else to do on Saturday... It is just too depressing to watch this slow motion firing play out... I would not be at all surprised if Muschamp was retained for one more year and Foley retired so he did not have to hire another coach... It feels like the whole program is in limbo and none of the decision makers want to pull the plug....

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
EuroGator;n78664 said:
This board tires me.

My opposite. What would it take to finally convince you at this point?

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
I would welcome apathy from some of you. Oh, and please don't sing, "In all kinds of weather.." Spare us. We all want things to get better.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n78771 said:

I appreciate your response and, while I didn't write that to be a "pre-Madonna" and get a response, I figured you would. While I don't always agree with your posts, I respect the way you take responsibility for this board and make a huge effort here. So... thanks for that.

To be clear, I can handle the "mixed success" we're experiencing - perhaps better than most on the board. ...which is why it's harder to read constant negativity toward our program - often in ways that are pretty "catty" or in ways that I see as clearly blaming "preferred targets" rather than the appropriate ones. For instance, if a WR doesn't play hard, the blame still goes to the coach for not motivating them or the QB for not inspiring them. That sort of thing. I can "handle" what we're going through, but if others fill the board with attitudes and resultant, often misappropriated negativity, I may just choose to quit "hanging out" with them until their mood changes - new coach or increased success. Before I belabor this more....

Again, props on creating, improving and maintaining this place. Good on you.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n78830 said:
My opposite. What would it take to finally convince you at this point?

From what I've seen in your posting, I'd agree that we're pretty dissimilar. Having said that, I'm not sure I could tell you. If I were to see enough failure that I would attribute to the coach, that I think he could have or should have prevented (as opposed to it being unavoidable or out of his control) and I don't see sufficiently acceptable growth in him, then I'd be convinced. I see a capable guy who is improving as a coach and whose staff continues to improve. Though I also see areas that he need to improve. As much as he says, "...and that's on me" in his pressers, I don't always agree. I do sometimes ...but not always. I'm not convinced that he's a good enough coach for UF, but I'm not convinced that he's not either.

There's one other perspective too. I read about a important employee who made a huge mistake which cost his company a couple of million dollars. He was a very promising employee outside of that, but he made a huge mistake. When his CEO came to talk to him, he assumed he was getting fired. The CEO basically said, "No way! You just learned a big lesson at my expense. I'm not going to let you go and have another company benefit from that!" I feel like Muschamp is a very promising head coach. He's made some mistakes and I believe he's learned some huge lessons at UF. He's also faced adversity that he didn't create. I'm not sure if he's learned enough and/or is worth retaining, but I think this year will reveal it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.