SOURCE: Hugh Freeze is top coaching target Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n118208 said:
Neither should have been on anyone at UF's short list to begin with.

I guess Air Force took Colorado State's coach off the list also. Crazy stuff on a Friday.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n118274 said:
I guess Air Force took Colorado State's coach off the list also. Crazy stuff on a Friday.

Can't really speak to McEwain's prospects (haven't followed him enough), though I believe he has promise as a HC someday, but I don't think 2015 would be that season. And I don't think Foley is going to go into the Saban tree anytime soon again.

The last weekend both days Friday and Saturday always something crazy happens. Remember what happened in 2006 to open the door for us to have a shot at the National Title.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
According to Dooley he thinks Hugh freeze is the main target with Larry fedora as the back up plan. I'd be happy with both. With freeze it would be a quicker turn around because he'd have an immediate impact on the recruiting trail. With fedora he's probably got a better offense and eventually recruiting would take off. Two very good choices imo.

Fun N' Stun

Nov 15, 2014
A candidate all but lined up?

We reported Wednesday that a second source had informed us that Ole Miss coach Hugh Freeze has legitimate interest in the Florida job and would seriously consider it if offered.
Our sources have only solidified their positions on that line of thinking in the last 48 hours. From what we're hearing now, not only would Freeze consider the Florida job, but he would likely lean toward taking it as things stand now.
The story with Freeze has always been two-fold: 1) Is he fooling the people close to him into thinking he has legitimate interest to draw a raise from Ole Miss? 2) Is Florida actually interested in him and/or close to offering him the job?
Starting with the latter, at least two media entities have already claimed Freeze has an offer. GatorBait.net has not been able to confirm that, and any offer Freeze may have would likely be an informal one anyway.
Even though it's possible Jeremy Foley has made some progress in lining up who he wants to offer first and discussing it some via back channels, he's not going to publicly extend a formal offer until the regular season is over for a coach.
That said, it's really just semantics. If Foley has his guy, there's almost certainly been some groundwork put in place already.
Remember, Foley has been working on this since just after the Missouri loss. He'll want to move quickly to help salvage Florida's recruiting class, which means being pretty sure about his top target is important.
If Freeze is the guy, it's easy to envision a scenario where both Florida and Ole Miss play their games at 3:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, then Foley flies out to Oxford after getting permission to speak with Freeze late Saturday night or early Sunday morning. In that case, there could be movement on the coaching front as early as Sunday or Monday.
That would be absolute best-case scenario for Florida, allowing the Gators to potentially salvage not one but two recruiting weekends before the dead period in mid-December.
But back to our first point: Is Freeze serious about considering Florida? After all, he's an Oxford native, he's doing well at Ole Miss and the Rebels have all but guaranteed him an extension and a raise.
Freeze could just as easily be fooling the people close to him into thinking he has serious interest in the Florida job only to draw a bigger raise out of Ole Miss. Both of our sources close to Freeze insist he's serious about the job, though.
It's a move that makes sense: Florida can pay well, Freeze would have a much stronger recruiting base and he can more consistently hope to compete for conference and national titles.
In any case, we should get some clarity on the Freeze front soon. Freeze's window for contact for the job would open Saturday night, and there's absolutely no reason for Jeremy Foley to wait if Freeze is the guy he's targeting.
Freeze is the top name to keep an eye on going into this weekend.

Neal McReady, who works for the Ole Miss Rivals site, is calling it "a fluid situation".

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n118373 said:
According to Dooley he thinks Hugh freeze is the main target with Larry fedora as the back up plan. I'd be happy with both. With freeze it would be a quicker turn around because he'd have an immediate impact on the recruiting trail. With fedora he's probably got a better offense and eventually recruiting would take off. Two very good choices imo.

I like Fedora better, but it's all semantics at this point. I'm just ready to get excited about Gator football again.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I Have No Friends :(;n118379 said:
I like Fedora better, but it's all semantics at this point. I'm just ready to get excited about Gator football again.

Yeah I think fedora has more potential aswell. I think he'd be a good fit here. If they announce either one of these names I'm going to pumped

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Fedora might be a decent candidate but he'll never get an offer from Foley. I am sure Jeremy will not forget how Fedora and some of the former Zook staff were condutcting themselves the week leading up to the peach bowl vs. Miami.

MatthewM.

Founding Member
Chief Queef
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
People would be happy with Fedora? My how far we have fallen.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Law98gator;n118144 said:
Yup cant lose in week 14. Its in the rules.

Especially when you have about a quarter of the talent of the team you lose too...oh, and a broken QB and it's on the road to a team trying to win a divisional championship, by a TD. Boy that loss is so bad they should send the moving trucks to his house so his stink doesn't permeate their illustrious football program that is Arkansas.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Gator Fever;n118274 said:

Don't worry Mullin and MS will make all the Freeze pumpers wish he wasn't on the list later today.....

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n118417 said:
Don't worry Mullin and MS will make all the Freeze pumpers wish he wasn't on the list later today.....
And what are you going to say if Ole Miss wins? Not that it's relevant. I think Freeze is the guy Foley wants, and the game today isn't going to change that.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Cowbell will have their hands full today. Ole Siss beat BAMA at home and this is a true rivalry game for them.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Bleacher report had linked an article trying to give credit to that radio guy for breaking that when you had it here over a week prior to him and Scout.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
The Original DC;n118062 said:
Jimbo Fisher's Noles beat Gus Malzahn last year for the title, so would you rather have Fisher as coach over Malzahn? Frank Beamer beat Urban Meyer, but I'd rather have Urb over Beamer. And using your analogy, Freeze beat Saban, so how do you square that? Muschamp beat Richt.

My point is, you can't place all your emphasis on head to head match-ups, there is way more to the story. I respect your opinion, but Beleima would be a big fat HELL NO for me.

Great point DC. It isn't one game or head to head it's experience and results . UF IMO needs a coach with 10 years or so with a PROVEN track record including championships and bowl wins. We have a hodge podge of offensive players. My belief is we need a coach who can make adjustments to our personnel and win right away. I don't think you can just plug a system into a program and do that unless you happen to have a Cam Newton, Tim Tebow or Johnny Football type QB. We also need a guy who can maintain our defensive integrity while manipulating the offense.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
oxrageous;n118424 said:
And what are you going to say if Ole Miss wins? Not that it's relevant. I think Freeze is the guy Foley wants, and the game today isn't going to change that.

If OM losses today ending the year on a 4 game losing streak and Foley hires him I won't be shocked. He kept a coach that ended last year on a 7 game losing streak......But if it happens I won't post on here for say at least 1 day, deal ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator