SOURCES: Coaching rumors - Bob Stoops? NFL coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Dad Mullen and Rick Rodriguez not among candidates according to espn

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n108303 said:

Yep a few places saying it now. They are more likely to be right with their sources on who isn't a candidate usually than who the hire will actually be.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorbreath;n108297 said:
OK, Ox: assuming it is Stoops, what does Deep Throat say about when an official announcement might be made?
All I've heard it that Foley wants the new guy in "very, very, soon" - I would expect it to happen before the bowl game, which would probably be between Christmas and New Year's....assuming we win one of the last two games. I guess it's possible it could be announced the week following the FSU game, first week in December, but that's all speculation. It probably depends on what Stoops has going on tying up loose ends on his side.

jmskjrgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I will be shocked if Foley doesn't hire a proven HC with a record of a high
scoring offense.

The problem was no offense. We need offense offense offense, not
another defensive HC.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n108303 said:

Saw this also, but really nobody had a clue last time... so how do we know they do or don't this time.

williston_gator

Founding Member
Twitter junkie
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
@onlygators: MT @Jake_Trotter: Bob Stoops on the Florida job: “All I want to be is a candidate at Oklahoma. I’m not a candidate anywhere else." Says he's finished with that question.

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
williston_gator;n108348 said:
@onlygators: MT @Jake_Trotter: Bob Stoops on the Florida job: “All I want to be is a candidate at Oklahoma. I’m not a candidate anywhere else."

Maybe 'cause the job is his?! :dunno: Seriously though, what else would he say?!

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
@onlygators: MT @Jake_Trotter: Bob Stoops on the Florida job: “All I want to be is a candidate at Oklahoma. I’m not a candidate anywhere else." Says he's finished with that question.

About what I'd expect.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

Was just going to post this. I would be shocked if it is Stoops... there are always rumors about him and they are NEVER true. Not getting my hopes up.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I would love to be wrong on this one but 16 years of success at OU? He's just going to up and leave? He may think about it but when it comes time to actually make a decision I think he stays at OU. I have a bad feeling that Foley is putting all his eggs into this basket as well. And he'll be left standing at the altar again.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
ATXGator;n108352 said:
Was just going to post this. I would be shocked if it is Stoops... there are always rumors about him and they are NEVER true. Not getting my hopes up.

He may not come, but his quote above is typical coach speak, and happens to be incorrect. He just said as much recently.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Hell, I think that quote makes me feel even better about him coming here. I would have expected something a hell of a lot stronger than that if he was without a doubt staying.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Reason it may NOT be Stoops....

"In 2010 and 2011, Stoops’ Oklahoma teams faced Florida State in a home-and-home, at the time coordinated on defense by his younger brother, Mark Stoops. The Sooners won both games, 47-17 in Norman in 2010 and 23-13 in Tallahassee a year later, and the elder Stoops has never been more miserable.
“I felt the entire week that it would be a miserable experience. Then I said after the game I was sure, now that I’ve done it. I’ve never been so conflicted and miserable about winning a game,” Stoops said at the time.

“Playing your brother for a championship, that’s OK. One of you is going to win a championship, and the other played for one, did well. If it isn’t that case, you spend your life fighting for your brother. You go play another neighborhood in whatever. You bring your brothers with you. They’re always on your team or you’re sticking up for them. You’re always helping each out. Then all of a sudden, you’ve got to beat each other, it’s not what you want. It’s not natural.”

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...b-mark-stoops/

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
divits;n108373 said:
Reason it may NOT be Stoops....

"In 2010 and 2011, Stoops’ Oklahoma teams faced Florida State in a home-and-home, at the time coordinated on defense by his younger brother, Mark Stoops. The Sooners won both games, 47-17 in Norman in 2010 and 23-13 in Tallahassee a year later, and the elder Stoops has never been more miserable.
“I felt the entire week that it would be a miserable experience. Then I said after the game I was sure, now that I’ve done it. I’ve never been so conflicted and miserable about winning a game,” Stoops said at the time.

“Playing your brother for a championship, that’s OK. One of you is going to win a championship, and the other played for one, did well. If it isn’t that case, you spend your life fighting for your brother. You go play another neighborhood in whatever. You bring your brothers with you. They’re always on your team or you’re sticking up for them. You’re always helping each out. Then all of a sudden, you’ve got to beat each other, it’s not what you want. It’s not natural.”

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...b-mark-stoops/

I'm sure he would talk to his brother before he took the job and Mark would tell him he doesn't plan on being at Kentucky long...He may not even be there next season.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I think if Bob Stoops turned down a job he genuinely wanted because he'd face his brother once a year (at godawful Kentucky, no less), then I think I'd be glad he did. It's so stupid it's hard to even comprehend.

Gator_Chompz

Founding Member
Marine 4 Life
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
OX is a genius. Adds fuel to the fire with the obvious candidates per say to generate traffic to this forum. Well done Sir.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
oxrageous;n108364 said:
Oh God, don't let F18 see that Schiano part! :suicide:

I haven't had time to read this whole thing but as I said earlier I've heard there's a good chance it's Schiano.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator