SOURCES: Coaching rumors - Bob Stoops? NFL coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n108480 said:
Can we even find an example of an AD getting fired because of two bad coaching hires?

Seriously? Not even going to start with you. You've been on blast as of late and I really don't feel up to it. Sorry...

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
The Original DC;n108485 said:
And so it begins, Stoops seemed to shoot down his candidacy today, fairly emphatically saying, "I just want to be a candidate for the Oklahoma job, I'm done with that qeuestion." Who knows what to believe.

Well, apparently some feel that this means just the opposite. Such is the nature of message boards. ;)

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
At this point I don't care who it is, I'm just looking forward to most of the fan base being united again and buzzing about the possibilities the next staff can bring. Hand me the orange and blue glasses and keep that kool-aid coming... Gators are coming back!

LadyGator74

Sep 21, 2014
Chizik just said he sees no way Stoops would go to UF. Too much energy to start over and he has it too good at OU. Said it just makes no sense at all.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n108495 said:
Foley has also been quoted saying he's looking for someone from the offensive side of the ball

Good point...that would point to someone other than Stoopsie

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
divits;n108440 said:
By itself it doesn't seem like a very good reason and I can't claim to know what motivates Stoops, but when added to the fact that he won't make more money at UF, he gets along very well with his current AD, has never had a difficult time recruiting good players to OK, and he has a much better chance of playing for a championship at OK, playing against his brother every year may make the UF job a little less attractive to him.

No I agree with that. It just seems like if he's not 100% on board to come to UF, there are dozens of reasons to stay put. But if he is, it seems like a trivial matter to me. If two equal jobs were open at the same time, and one featured an annual showdown with family while the other did not, then I think it probably matters a lot more. We'll see.

And yeah, the Schiano talk is horrible. Plenty of good reasons that have been given, but I also really don't want an NFL guy who would likely jump back to those ranks the first chance he got. I don't want to be doing this thread all over again in 2-4 years.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I Have No Friends :(;n108496 said:
At this point I don't care who it is,

Zook? Muschamp? Schiano? You should care at least a little. Need a solid hire on this one.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
t-gator;n108495 said:
Foley has also been quoted saying he's looking for someone from the offensive side of the ball

He clarified this statement saying it did not have to be an offensive minded coach rather a coach that has had success on the offensive side of the ball.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n108495 said:

That is a misquote... what he said and he clarified this is that he is looking for somebody who has had success on the offensive side of the ball. That could be a defensive HC (like Stoops or Patterson) whose teams have been good offensively.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n108484 said:
Originally posted by Captain Sasquatch View Post

Can we even find an example of an AD getting fired because of two bad coaching hires?

Seriously? Not even going to start with you. You've been on blast as of late and I really don't feel up to it. Sorry...

This cracks me up. :lol:

In All Kinds Of Weather

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n108495 said:

You do realize Stoops has had two Heisman winning quarterbacks and was a pioneer of the uptempo offenses a few years back, right? Foley said he wants someone with a "track record of success on the offensive side of the ball". Not an offensive minded coach. I'd say Stoops, although not strictly offensive minded, is not opposed to high tempo scoring offenses. So if you pay attention to the wording of Foley, Stoops would appear to be an even more likely candidate. Stoops is the guy imo.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n108502 said:
No I agree with that. It just seems like if he's not 100% on board to come to UF, there are dozens of reasons to stay put. But if he is, it seems like a trivial matter to me. If two equal jobs were open at the same time, and one featured an annual showdown with family while the other did not, then I think it probably matters a lot more. We'll see.

And yeah, the Schiano talk is horrible. Plenty of good reasons that have been given, but I also really don't want an NFL guy who would likely jump back to those ranks the first chance he got. I don't want to be doing this thread all over again in 2-4 years.

Your statement assumes he'd actually have success here. The track record both in college and more recently with Tampa Bay, and his general demeanor, suggest otherwise.

Schiano = Muschamp 2.0, in my opinion.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gator_Chompz;n108459 said:
What is Foley supposed to say? He will deny all rumors and said he hasn't talked to anyone. Anybody that believes that is a fool. I am sure he has held private unofficial conversations with other coaches.

What is he supposed to say? Did you even listen to his press conference? He said TWICE that he hasn't talked to any coaches. He said he hasn't started his search. And he said that he won't be doing any backroom deals by agent to agent. They will do it upfront and let the AD of the school know they have interest. So he didn't need to say any of that.

Or he simply could have said, what he said when a reporter asked about what he was looking for in a coach "Now isn't the right time to talk about that".

So someone is lying their face off. Don't know why Foley needs to go to such lengths.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
t-gator;n108495 said:

Still boggles my mind that for all his football knowledge, and having full awareness of what was on the line, WM couldn't just step back and let an OC run that side of the ball. For Foley to make that comment indicates to me that he had to have given Muschamp a heads up that we needed to get that side going. And he still stayed the course. Defies logic.

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
Foley made a point to clarify that he was looking for a coach who's TEAMs were successful offensively. Not Necessarily an offensive coach.

LadyGator74

Sep 21, 2014
gatormandan;n108504 said:
He clarified this statement saying it did not have to be an offensive minded coach rather a coach that has had success on the offensive side of the ball.
This^. Foley called out the reporter for misquoting him and clarified as per above.

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
divits;n108487 said:
Well, apparently some feel that this means just the opposite. Such is the nature of message boards. ;)

Yeah, so lets see...Saban never denied he was interested in Alabama multiple times before it was announced? Yeah, this sort of thing ONLY happens on message boards.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n108505 said:
That is a misquote... what he said and he clarified this is that he is looking for somebody who has had success on the offensive side of the ball. That could be a defensive HC (like Stoops or Patterson) whose teams have been good offensively.

Thanks for clarifying LOL...that makes a ton of sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator