SOURCES: Coaching rumors - Bob Stoops? NFL coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
divits;n108373 said:
Reason it may NOT be Stoops....

"In 2010 and 2011, Stoops’ Oklahoma teams faced Florida State in a home-and-home, at the time coordinated on defense by his younger brother, Mark Stoops. The Sooners won both games, 47-17 in Norman in 2010 and 23-13 in Tallahassee a year later, and the elder Stoops has never been more miserable.
“I felt the entire week that it would be a miserable experience. Then I said after the game I was sure, now that I’ve done it. I’ve never been so conflicted and miserable about winning a game,” Stoops said at the time.

“Playing your brother for a championship, that’s OK. One of you is going to win a championship, and the other played for one, did well. If it isn’t that case, you spend your life fighting for your brother. You go play another neighborhood in whatever. You bring your brothers with you. They’re always on your team or you’re sticking up for them. You’re always helping each out. Then all of a sudden, you’ve got to beat each other, it’s not what you want. It’s not natural.”

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...b-mark-stoops/

Again, I'd be shocked if Mark is at UK for very long. I know they've looked bad of late, but that's very common for teams without adequate depth. And he can be the greatest coach in the world, but will struggle to change that at UK. He'll either jump to something better, or--if he truly isn't very good--he'll be fired within a year or so.

Seems like and odd reason to not take a job like UF if you truly want it. But who knows.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n108303 said:
Dad Mullen and Rick Rodriguez not among candidates according to espn

I don't see how Rich Rod made it on anyone's list. Foley would never in a million years hire a guy that was responsible for major violations that put a program on probation. Doesn't matter if he's a good coach or not. His resume is in the bottom of Foley's garbage can.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
So no stoops, Mullen or dick rod. I'm not shocked

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n108388 said:
I haven't had time to read this whole thing but as I said earlier I've heard there's a good chance it's Schiano.

Don't let that d bag near our program. The fans hated him in Tampa. He's an azz of the highest levels. That victory crash garbage was the tip of the iceberg. My gawd, Foley should be offed if there's even an inkling he's thinking about it...lol.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n108314 said:
Originally posted by Gatorbreath View Post
OK, Ox: assuming it is Stoops, what does Deep Throat say about when an official announcement might be made?

All I've heard it that Foley wants the new guy in "very, very, soon" - I would expect it to happen before the bowl game, which would probably be between Christmas and New Year's....assuming we win one of the last two games. I guess it's possible it could be announced the week following the FSU game, first week in December, but that's all speculation. It probably depends on what Stoops has going on tying up loose ends on his side.

So we're staring down the barrel of potentially 6+ weeks of speculation, gossip, and all measure of rumors from across the the internets??
:suicide:

Gonna be a long holiday season filled with anxiety and likely lots of laughs at the sillier rumors......

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n108415 said:
Don't let that d bag near our program. The fans hated him in Tampa. He's an azz of the highest levels. That victory crash garbage was the tip of the iceberg. My gawd, Foley should be offed if there's even an inkling he's thinking about it...lol.

NFL scouts hated him when he was at Rutgers because of how he would treat them. He is a no all the way around for a program that is about transitioning kids to the NFL.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n108404 said:
Again, I'd be shocked if Mark is at UK for very long. I know they've looked bad of late, but that's very common for teams without adequate depth. And he can be the greatest coach in the world, but will struggle to change that at UK. He'll either jump to something better, or--if he truly isn't very good--he'll be fired within a year or so.

Seems like and odd reason to not take a job like UF if you truly want it. But who knows.

By itself it doesn't seem like a very good reason and I can't claim to know what motivates Stoops, but when added to the fact that he won't make more money at UF, he gets along very well with his current AD, has never had a difficult time recruiting good players to OK, and he has a much better chance of playing for a championship at OK, playing against his brother every year may make the UF job a little less attractive to him.

JohnCoctostan

Oct 27, 2014
oxrageous;n108361 said:
Hell, I think that quote makes me feel even better about him coming here. I would have expected something a hell of a lot stronger than that if he was without a doubt staying.

I agree. He's not technically a candidate yet.

Gator_Chompz

Founding Member
Marine 4 Life
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
At least Foley said if we go to a bowl game it won't be coached by Muschamp.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think I might take the next few weeks off from the board. The speculation just may be more ridiculous than the pumpers vs haters war. Foley is probably going to pull another Foley and hire somebody none of us never even considered as a possibility. His track record for hiring high profile proven guys isn't exactly his strong point. He seems to prefer to find the diamond in the rough kind of guys. I believe it's an ego thing/problem. And do go jumping on me about Meyer. Everyone knows that was Machen more than Foley.

Gator_Chompz

Founding Member
Marine 4 Life
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Would it be a fair assessment that if Foley flubs the next hire he would be on the hot seat?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Well I guess Foleys statement at the press conference pretty well puts the kibosh to this whole thread....good one Ox.

Gator_Chompz

Founding Member
Marine 4 Life
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
What is Foley supposed to say? He will deny all rumors and said he hasn't talked to anyone. Anybody that believes that is a fool. I am sure he has held private unofficial conversations with other coaches.

Gator_Chompz

Founding Member
Marine 4 Life
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Btw Foley just said he would like to have a coach prior to Xmas. Let the speculation continue.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Gator_Chompz;n108451 said:
Would it be a fair assessment that if Foley flubs the next hire he would be on the hot seat?

99% of ADs don't survive Zook & Muschamp. They don't. Not sure how anyone trusts Foley to make a good hire at this point. He thought Muschamp was the GUY and it sounds like he still didn't want to fire him. Unless it Stoops... having Foley make this decision is probably a bad idea.

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n108455 said:
Well I guess Foleys statement at the press conference pretty well puts the kibosh to this whole thread....good one Ox.

How so?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Looks like Foley is looking for someone from the offensive side of the ball. According what someone reported on the br app.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n108468 said:
99% of ADs don't survive Zook & Muschamp. They don't. Not sure how anyone trusts Foley to make a good hire at this point. He thought Muschamp was the GUY and it sounds like he still didn't want to fire him. Unless it Stoops... having Foley make this decision is probably a bad idea.

Can we even find an example of an AD getting fired because of two bad coaching hires?

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
One thing to consider. Commissioner Slive has been pretty firm on not wanting teams hiring away other Head coaches within the conference. Don't think it's necessarily enforceable. But might effect the search somewhat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.