SOURCES: Coaching rumors - Bob Stoops? NFL coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
G8RNGA;n108219 said:
I think many of us are hoping your sources are accurate - only time will tell. If money is no object, then I can see this. With Stoops just receiving an extension, you have to believe that the buyout clause is similar to Sumlin's and in the $5M range. That on top of the $7-$9M buyout of Muschamp and staff as well as putting at least $5.5M-$6M on the table for Stoops would put the UAA somewhere in the neighborhood of a $20M hit. I'm not saying it wouldn't happen, but it will certainly speak volumes about how much they wanted Stoops and want to turn things around.
No question. Part of the rumors this whole time were that the boosters had given Foley a "blank check" to do what needed to be done. I think many of them were willing to dig deeper into their pockets than usual. After the last four years I'm not surprised, are you?

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n108221 said:
No question. Part of the rumors this whole time were that the boosters had given Foley a "blank check" to do what needed to be done. I think many of them were willing to dig deeper into their pockets than usual. After the last four years I'm not surprised, are you?

Not a bit. I really could see this happen and that they would be willing to go after a guy and pay top dollar to prove UF is the big league. Sort of like what Alabama did when they lured Saban away from the NFL. That was a lot of money back then and about $2M (if I recall) over the salary of the highest paid coach at that time. They made a statement, took a gamble, and it's had a pretty good ROI.

OcalaGator83

Not Hopeful
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2014
I also wonder if Stoops is just a decoy to throw everybody off the real trail or take the pressure off the real prospective coaches in the process.

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
OcalaGator83;n108224 said:
I also wonder if Stoops is just a decoy to throw everybody off the real trail or take the pressure off the real prospective coaches in the process.

He just received a raise this past summer, so I wouldn't think it an opportunity for Stoops to leverage as many have in the past. Not to mention, I don't think the regents at OU will be as quick to give him a boost to keep him since it just happened and based on how the perception is of how he's doing this season as a head coach.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
oxrageous;n108221 said:

If you recall, I stated a few weeks back that Stoops was simply a monetary issue, and that he was certainly open to the idea. If didn't then, and I'm still not predicting him to land here because I have no clue. But I can guarantee that those words indicating an interest in UF were definitely spoken. If we want him, and pay him, he is absolutely a real candidate.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I know that many people think that Harbaugh isn't an option, but I think Foley should at least give it a shot.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJB;n108253 said:
I know that many people think that Harbaugh isn't an option, but I think Foley should at least give it a shot
Agree, what's wrong with asking out Kate Upton? Worst thing that could happen is she says no... but what if she said yes???

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Durty South Swamp;n108259 said:
Agree, what's wrong with asking out Kate Upton? Worst thing that could happen is she says no... but what if she said yes???

You would crap yourself and pee your pants and embarrass yourself??

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Durty South Swamp;n108259 said:

Exactly. And it's not like Oakland is a dream job or anything. Is the worst program in the NFL really that much better than one of the best in college?

G8RNGA

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
I found this article from a few weeks back. What's interesting is how the comment about how OU measures team standards versus Florida! After the last 5 or so years of watching our football team, I think what they are complaining about would be a major upgrade.
Mistakes may have cost OU the game, but Wolken thinks the fanbase might have grown weary of Stoops, and the loss might cost the fans their coach after this season because of it.

“But the best way to measure coaches is sometimes as simple as looking at their Wikipedia page, and here’s what Stoops’ says: in 15 previous seasons as a head coach, he’s been to nine BCS bowls, won eight Big 12 titles and beaten ranked teams nearly twice as often as he’s lost to them. In this day and age, Stoops’ run of consistency over such a long period of time is very difficult to pull off,” Wolken said.

“Stoops may feel at times as though he’s underappreciated by the Oklahoma fan base and that the standard of competing for championships every year is unrealistic, but it’s the standard he set between 2000 and 2008. If he doesn’t think he can get back to that, it might be tempting to take a look at the NFL or perhaps a job such as Florida or Michigan if they open up.

“At those schools, they won’t care so much about the nitty-gritty of why Oklahoma has failed to live up to expectations. They just want what’s on the Wikipedia page.”
http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews....ff-hopes.html/

gatorfan81

Founding Member
Done
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
I think Stoops would be the best hire. He knows the sec he always fields high quality teams. I know we cant compete for national championships every year but with Stoops least we'll be in the hunt late in the season and not out of it by the third or fourth game. Also i want to be in the top 25 at the beginnig of the season and at the end. Like his sooners always are.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I just went through this whole thread.

1. Nobody knows what is going on. Foley keeps this stuff very close to the vest so I would be shocked if any sources really know.

2. I LOVE the idea of Stoops with Chizik as DC and Spurrier being a mentor after he retires and hands the reins over to WM (who will become DC and HCIW at USCe). I also don't think this will happen. Stoops has turned us down a lot. Fool me once shame on you...

3. I would take a shot at Chip Kelly, but I think that is doubtful.

4. Petrino would be a horrible hire. I LOVE the University of Florida and want it represented with class. Petrino has no class. The way he screwed over the Falcons and all those assistants who moved their families to coach with him was as low as it gets. I don't want a guy with that character coaching at UF. I wouldn't like this hire, but would still support him as Gator HC... hell... I supported Muschamp because he was our HC, but he was also a class guy IMO.

5. Schiano - NO... HELL NO.

6. Harbaugh is waiting on Michigan.

7. I like the idea of McElwain or Hudspeth. Up and coming HCs who have shown the ability to win. Based on history I really would not be surprised for Foley to go with somebody nobody has thought of. I will support whoever it is (unless it is Kiffin).

8. I would love Patterson, but not sure he is leaving TCU. I think there is a better chance of that then Briles. Briles is a Texas guy and I don't see him leaving.

SavannahGator

Founding Member
Behind Enemy Lines
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n107327 said:
Okay, here's a follow-up. It appears the NFL thing is really just speculative:

[/FONT][/COLOR]

But despite getting hammered by the Packers yesterday, Kelly and his Eagles are still in the thick of the playoff race. I just don't see him. I think Stoops is more likely, and that he would hire a top offensive coordinator.

And besides, doesn't the NCAA have some kind of "show cause" on Kelly for his shenanigans at Oregon that would make it tough for UF or any other university to hire him? Correction - the 18 month show cause restriction on Kelly ends during this college off season. Still, I don't think he's coming.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
G8RNGA;n108219 said:
I think many of us are hoping your sources are accurate - only time will tell. If money is no object, then I can see this. With Stoops just receiving an extension, you have to believe that the buyout clause is similar to Sumlin's and in the $5M range. That on top of the $7-$9M buyout of Muschamp and staff as well as putting at least $5.5M-$6M on the table for Stoops would put the UAA somewhere in the neighborhood of a $20M hit. I'm not saying it wouldn't happen, but it will certainly speak volumes about how much they wanted Stoops and want to turn things around. If Stoops is their man, then I wouldn't be surprised if we offer him in the range of where Saban is at - $6M+

We're going to have to seriously open the wallet to get any of the top tier 1 and 2 candidates. It's time we do that, money won't hold UF back from anything.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Stoops would obviously be a great hire and it would energize both us and him. Rich Rod would be a good hire too cause his offense would most likely work and he seems to have that it factor. He didn't have the talent in Michigan so I am not worried that he failed there cause no one is winning at Michigan right now. Dabo Swinney would be an ok hire, not sure a lot of people would want him here. Chip Kelly won't come cause he just got to Phily. Mike Shanahan is too old and I'm not sure why his name keeps popping up for this job opening. I just imagine him popping in his false teeth right before he goes into a recruits home. Dan Mullen has been less than stellar at MSU besides this year. Kevin Sumlin won't leave Texas A&M, same with Charlie Strong at Texas. Mike Gundy and Todd Graham are secondary choices if we are turned down by our top candidates. We know we will get great offenses most likely by both guys but not sure about the defense. Doc Holliday is way down the list and hasn't been at a big school as a head coach so that would be a reach. Gary Patterson would be good but he is mostly a defensive coach. There are some pretty good options so we will see how it goes. Its an exciting time so let's see how it pans out. Stoops is the frontrunner, no doubt about it. Go Gators!!

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n108214 said:
Just reporting the info I have gotten from multiple sources, boys. One of them actually didn't think it would happen, as he said some anti-Stoops people were in Foley's ear. THEN I got a PM less than an hour later confirming from that same person he had just gotten off the phone and the hire was indeed going to be Bob Stoops.

I guess time will tell, but you have my word I haven't made anything up. Whether or not my sources have is unknown. I'm not sure what's in it for them to lie to me in private conversations.

OK, Ox: assuming it is Stoops, what does Deep Throat say about when an official announcement might be made?

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
If Stoops is Foley's ace in the hole and he doesn't deliver he should be forced into retirement immediately. Let the new ERA begin with fresh blood and perspective. Foley crapped the bed twice already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator