Take it for what it's worth

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm sorry guys but this is just silly to me. If the negativity on this board is driving recruits away then the opposite must be true. So, if the board becomes overwhelming positive then recruiting will rise with nothing else changing. I don't buy it.
That's like the law of attraction to me, I'll pass.
I remember being on campus when UM was here and I was busting my butt studying and trying to excel. I would be waiting for the bus or walking and I would see the little UAA go cart with the plastic sides with a recruit and his family. I used to just imagine what that experience was like meeting the coaches and university big wigs, having access to locked door facilities, and being given vip treatment to go to the college that I worked so hard to get in.

I highly doubt that at some point that kid said, "all this is great coach, but swamp donkey calls you butters"
A couple of things...
One, in some cases, recruits are looking for a reason not to go to a school. They see schools A and B as being comparable. They need something to tip the balance. In many cases, its negative things vs positive things. Thus being positive is not going to work with the same inverse effect.

I think people are reading too much into being positive. The reasons for being negative are very valid. But over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over. What is being question is are we being fair in the assessment? And if others do not have the same conclusion as you at the moment, or see weaknesses in your logic, oh well. Personally, I am just looking for a little balance and more constructive criticism. Not sure why in fandom it works different than the real world.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If Butters was winning games and fielding a competent offense, no amount of negativity on the internet would affect him.

Butters created this. It's his failure that caused the rightful analysis of his failures.
Here is where I see there needs to be a recognition that 1) are current situation is not all Mac's fault and 2) there have been some improvements from where we were.

I fully, and believe most others, agree we are not where we should be or hoped to be. We are not saying we are. At least I am not.

Mac is Not a good recruiter, maybe even a horrible one. There is evidence indicating poor. However, after the bowl game not to acknowledge some of his people looked pretty good is disingenuous and not acknowledging that maybe Florida needs to rebuild the Team concept may just require a reset. Further, assuming everything is going to hit the fan before it does and basing primarily on rumors also needs to be acknowledged.

Somethings I think Mac deserves some credit....arrest ratio (*), bringing back the pass (not very good but at least able and willing to throw a long ball), and marginal improvement on position management. Is that enough? Personally no, but it is positive and deserves mentioning.

*an important metric for me.

Gator2222

Nov 25, 2016
Another post deflecting the blame where it belongs...Mac.

It's the fans. Laughable. If we have the much affect on recruiting then they should hire some us.

2222Goebbels is working overtime.

LOL

Now you're calling me a Nazi? Honestly T Rex, you don't have to be scared of me just because I think differently than you.

revgator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
For the record, I am a pumper and I still see positives with Mac. But I think the OP is giving fans too much credit.
These young recruits are rarely altruistic. They aren't looking for a "positive environment" to play in. I mean, look at Penn State, that is a negative environment. According to the premise, no recruits should have went.
These recruits are looking for the best avenue to get to the NFL. College is a means to an end. Muschamp was a defensive guy and could sell that, Mac is an offensive guy and is having a hard time selling 127 place. I also don't think Mac "speaks" football in the way other coaches do and is having a hard time selling his vision.
The product on the field is what it is. The reason I don't think we're seeing the recruiting we need is because I think mac is having a hard time selling what we're seeing.
TBH, I'm a pumper and I have a hard time selling it to myself.
I think mac is building deep, and building a strong foundation, that's hard to sell when the immediate is still kind of ugly.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Most the people I know, when they're considering buying a significant product, they go on the internet
to find unbiased reviews of that product (& that manufacturer). If their research of those reviews shows
4.5 out of 5 likes i.e. 9 out of 10 positives, then they buy the product that's being sold. But if that review-rating
yields a 1.5 out of 5 i.e. 7 out of 10 negatives, then the shopper looks for another "manufacturing house".
That is the way I-net customer reviews are used to create the buying decision of the shopper. It works that way.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Name one.
1) We actually won the East. While not a great division, we won it twice....Muschamp did not.
2) We have OLine numbers and an improving OLine
3) We have playmakers on offense. Not at QB yet but we have good RB's and WR corp. If not for Grier being an idiot he MAY have developed. He showed potential.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Chimp had four of five OL in the NFL. His numbers were all ****ed up but he had three 4 star OL coming when we fired him and no doubt he would have landed a couple more. Butters has a dozen 3 star kids now. So far the OL is still a dumpster fire and they just got the OL coach fired. Claiming improvement is just hope, not fact. I'm certainly not defending Chimp, he was a disaster but Butters has been no better unfortunately.
We have playmakers on offense. Not at QB yet but we have good RB's and WR corp.
2014 Chimp had DRob, Dunbar, and AB; Jones, Brown, Taylor, and Lane.
Butters inherited DRob, BP and Callaway; Taylor, and the Jordans.
Now Butters has Callaway, BP and Cleveland; Scarlett and Peerine.

Huge difference? Sorry, I doubt anyone except an O&B goggle types sees much difference. Looks like a wash to me.

127th says it all.

Last edited:

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Chimp had four of five OL in the NFL. His numbers were all ****ed up but he had three 4 star OL coming when we fired him and no doubt he would have landed a couple more. Butters has a dozen 3 star kids now. So far the OL is still a dumpster fire and they just got the OL coach fired. Claiming improvement is just hope, not fact. I'm certainly not defending Chimp, he was a disaster but Butters has been no better unfortunately.

2014 Chimp had DRob, Dunbar, and AB; Jones, Brown, Taylor, and Lane.
Butters inherited DRob, BP and Callaway; Taylor, and the Jordans.
Now Butters has Callaway, BP and Cleveland; Scarlett and Peerine.

Huge difference? Sorry, I doubt anyone except an O&B goggle types sees much difference. Looks like a wash to me.

127th says it all.
If you want to swim in shyt by all means swim in your shyt, but what did Chump leave on the OLine? That's where we were when Mac took over. So how many scholarship OL did Mac have? Like 2 or 3? When Mac took over we had Jordan and Sandifer committed. We had one OL commit defect, but I forget who he was. It's also a bit ironic that you constantly talk about how DT's and OL don't need to be 4 and 5 stars, but I guess it doesn't fit your narrative this time. What we have now is better than the couple of OL that Mac inherited. Not sure how you function with walk-ons on the OL, but that was what was inherited. The OL is better, and we actually started to get some push at times last year.

Our class when Mac took over was Tyler Jordan, Camrin Knight, Andrew Ivie, Kalif Jackson, and Brandon Sandifer. No Cronk, no Scarlett, no Callaway. I can't believe you're calling DRob a playmaker. Since when? Dunbar? He has made a job in the NFL on the other side of the ball. Give me Callaway, Cleveland, and Hammond/Wells over Muschamp's corp. Taylor deserves a lot of credit, but Lane had one game....ONE. So as a stable, Scarlett, Perine, and Thompson (not to mention Davis and potentially Lemons) is better. However, I will not minimize Taylor, and would have been better had Chump not decimated the OL.

If you're going to argue your point, don't use fake news. You're better than that...well maybe you aren't but you should be.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If you want to swim in shyt by all means swim in your shyt, but what did Chump leave on the OLine? That's where we were when Mac took over. So how many scholarship OL did Mac have? Like 2 or 3? When Mac took over we had Jordan and Sandifer committed. We had one OL commit defect, but I forget who he was. It's also a bit ironic that you constantly talk about how DT's and OL don't need to be 4 and 5 stars, but I guess it doesn't fit your narrative this time. What we have now is better than the couple of OL that Mac inherited. Not sure how you function with walk-ons on the OL, but that was what was inherited. The OL is better, and we actually started to get some push at times last year.

Our class when Mac took over was Tyler Jordan, Camrin Knight, Andrew Ivie, Kalif Jackson, and Brandon Sandifer. No Cronk, no Scarlett, no Callaway. I can't believe you're calling DRob a playmaker. Since when? Dunbar? He has made a job in the NFL on the other side of the ball. Give me Callaway, Cleveland, and Hammond/Wells over Muschamp's corp. Taylor deserves a lot of credit, but Lane had one game....ONE. So as a stable, Scarlett, Perine, and Thompson (not to mention Davis and potentially Lemons) is better. However, I will not minimize Taylor, and would have been better had Chump not decimated the OL.

If you're going to argue your point, don't use fake news. You're better than that...well maybe you aren't but you should be.
He's on a roll.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Better and better.

And yet, 127th.
Never said the offense was better Hillary, just that we had a better OL than what was left to Mac and a better RB and WR corps. You said to name one thing better. You didn't ask if everything was all rosy and wonderful. QB position sucks, but I'll remain hopeful for Trask and Franks this coming year. The recruiting has been okay, but not for someone striving for championships. We are too reactive and not proactive, starting with LB recruiting in 2015 and DT recruiting in 2015 and 2016. I think we can do better than Nuss, but he's not as bad as people state on here. He's made some bonehead calls, but if our QB could execute and read a defense, those calls probably don't have to be made. I would have preferred us hiring Cristobal and Locksley as co-oc's, release Nuss and let Mac call plays.

I really don't think we are too far off from being competitive with the elites. We need good QB play this year, but we'll need ace recruiters to get us to realistically think we can win those games.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
1) We actually won the East. While not a great division, we won it twice....Muschamp did not.
3) We have playmakers on offense. Not at QB yet but we have good RB's and WR corp. If not for Grier being an idiot he MAY have developed. He showed potential.
Numbers do not show proof of your 3rd statement, and yes we don't have a Qb but if the system is "executed" which it's not then you can be effective. I for one don't believe we have any true play makers on offense. What I mean by this is no coach from another team has to game plan for a certain player like you do when you play a Fornette, Cook, Ridley, Watson ect. And what does it say about Mac if you do believe we have better talent on offense now but our numbers are worse than with Muschamp. If that correct then you should believe Muschamp did better with less talent.

alcoholica

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Numbers do not show proof of your 3rd statement, and yes we don't have a Qb but if the system is "executed" which it's not then you can be effective. I for one don't believe we have any true play makers on offense. What I mean by this is no coach from another team has to game plan for a certain player like you do when you play a Fornette, Cook, Ridley, Watson ect. And what does it say about Mac if you do believe we have better talent on offense now but our numbers are worse than with Muschamp. If that correct then you should believe Muschamp did better with less talent.
Not that difficult, Muschamp had a much better OL before he left Mac the few scholarship linemen that were left.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
There is nothing wrong with criticizing the staff when they fall short as often they have but it's all together different to be disrespectful as many are. I bleed orange and blue and am on this board daily, although I rarely post but I absolutely would be turned off if I were a recruit with no UF allegiance as I have.
+ 1000

gatorgrad'02

Aug 10, 2015

I would have to agree. We have some nice pieces on offense, but no centerpieces. In a dynamic offense Callaway is your 2nd or 3rd best receiver, not the primary option, and Scarlett is probably your number 2 back.

Compare the receivers and backs to the 2001 team. I'm not sure that Callaway even gets in the game before halftime with Gaffney, Caldwell, and Jacobs playing ahead of him. And Scarlett probably doesn't see any carries ahead of Graham and Gillespie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator