MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Well:

Lunardi's 6s are: Creigton, Maryland, Notre Dame and St. Mary's
Palm's 6s are: Maryland, Minnesota, St. Mary's, Virginia

So I think unless you get an upset opposite you, you are going to face tough team in the round of 32. The only advantage of a 3 over a 1 or 2 is the slight chance of that upset. A 1 is assured of playing a tough team in the round of 32.

Give me Maryland, St. Mary's or UVA. Rather not play the other teams listed in the 2nd round. Especially not ND, bad matchup.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Give me Maryland, St. Mary's or UVA. Rather not play the other teams listed in the 2nd round. Especially not ND, bad matchup.

Kenpom says Virginia (8 before the loss to Miami tonight), St. Mary's (16), Creighton (23), Notre Dame (26), Maryland (31), Minnesota (39)

Sagarin says Virginia (10 before the loss to Miami tonight), Creighton (21), Notre Dame (23), St. Mary's (26), Maryland (33), Minnesota (38)

I would take UND as they are not particularly big and UF matches them quite well athletically.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Kenpom says Virginia (8 before the loss to Miami tonight), St. Mary's (16), Creighton (23), Notre Dame (26), Maryland (31), Minnesota (39)

Sagarin says Virginia (10 before the loss to Miami tonight), Creighton (21), Notre Dame (23), St. Mary's (26), Maryland (33), Minnesota (38)

I would take UND as they are not particularly big and UF matches them quite well athletically.

Meant to add Minnesota to my previous list. UVA is terrible, they struggle to break 50 points a lot of games lol. I disagree about ND, I don't think we match up well-- they can really shoot it and I think Ferrell would give Hill and Cheese issues.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
How did you find this and who's blog is it.
Don't know exactly. I had seen it in passing while searching around Google for some news on recruits and then someone posted it on another Gator site...not sure which one, maybe GatorCountry

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I get your point about Robinson's skills translating better to the NBA than to college, but I don't think he is close to as good as Parson's was in his junior or senior year. Parson's actually had the ability to take over the game and really dominate. I haven't seen Robinson show that yet. I think he does have the skills to do is, especially as he gets better with his pull-up jumper. For some reason I never feel like he is aggressive enough when he has the ball.
Yep, Parsons was SEC POY his senior season - DRob would really need to up his game to even come close to that level. He's still likely gone after this season, but you never know. Would love to have him back for his last year.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
You are probably right about the announcers. As of now I see UF having the following players and signess on the 2017-18 roster: SRs: Chiozza, Egbunu, Robinson, JRs: Allen, Hayes, Hudson, SOPHs: Hester, Gak, Stone, FROSHs: Ballard, Bassett, Johnson, Okauru, Stokes which as you say puts UF one over if everyone stays.

I am not sure I think Robinson should stay particularly if his group has a good run in the tourney. He could be a guy like Parsons with good college numbers but measureables and skills that translate better to the NBA.

I did get to know a UF player's father a few years back. He said that then in the Donovan era players were offered scholarships after UF filled up for the next season on a contingency basis in order that they committed. That would mean that if UF does not have anything open up Okauru would be out. If Pons happened to commit to UF now, then Okauru would get first openning then Pons the second. Of course Donovan is not here not and there is a new AD too, but that was how the situation was described to me a few years back.
How do figure Robinson's skills translate better in the nba? He has the body of a small forward and he has zero perimeter skills. He is a tweener. Too soft to play the four and he does nothing that scares anyone on the perimeter. Where's he gonna play? If he leaves early, he'll be playing Europe.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Meant to add Minnesota to my previous list. UVA is terrible, they struggle to break 50 points a lot of games lol. I disagree about ND, I don't think we match up well-- they can really shoot it and I think Ferrell would give Hill and Cheese issues.
Their guards aint better than kentucky's and their center us like 6'5". I love us in a match up with notre dame.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Yep, Parsons was SEC POY his senior season - DRob would really need to up his game to even come close to that level. He's still likely gone after this season, but you never know. Would love to have him back for his last year.

Do you even look back when you make statements like that to check your memory? Parsons was SEC POY his SR year because:

1. There was no clear candidate that year.

2. UF had never had an SEC POY and that was getting a bit embarrassing to those picking given the recent back to back NCs and other great UF players snubbed going back to Walk.

3. Parsons had a pretty good year, not quite as good as his JR year, but pretty good.

4. Once again UF was good and winning the SEC over a pre-season favored UK team.

Now onto the facts:

Parsons JR: 31.0 min per game, 12.4 Pts, 6.9 Rebs, 3.8 A+S+B, 2.0 TOs, 49.3% on 2s, 35.8% on 3s, 66.2% on FTs in 34 games.

Parsons SR: 34.1 min per game, 11.3 Pts, 7.8 Rebs, 5.1 A+S+B, 2.3 TOs, 48% on 2s, 36.8% on 3s, 55.7% on FTs in 36 games.

Robinson JR: 24.9 min per game, 11.1 Pts, 5.8 Rebs, 2.2 A+S+B, 1.1 TOs, 47.5% on 2s, 37.5% on 3s, 75% on FTs in 27 game so far.

So they are similar players though Parsons was a much better assist man while Robinson is a much better free throw shooter and has fewer turnovers.

And Robinson put up similar numbers to Parsons in significantly fewer minutes. If you inflate Robinsons numbers this year to Parsons SR year 34.1 minutes you get:

Robinson JR: 34.1 min per game, 15.2 Pts, 7.9 Rebs, 3.0 A+S+B, 1.5 TOs.

That shows you how much of the difference between the two is an artifact of the minutes played. Donovan played 10ish players much of the time early in his tenure at UF. Then he won back to back titles with a short bench and shortened his bench the rest of the time at UF. So Parson played 30+ minutes a game while there is not much chance Robinson will this year or as a SR even if he comes back. But it is clear from these numbers Robinson is every bit the player at UF that Parsons was.

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Do you even look back when you make statements like that to check your memory? Parsons was SEC POY his SR year because:

2. UF had never had an SEC POY and that was getting a bit embarrassing to those picking given the recent back to back NCs and other great UF players snubbed going back to Walk.

3. Parsons had a pretty good year, not quite as good as his JR year, but pretty good.

4. Once again UF was good and winning the SEC over a pre-season favored UK team.

Now onto the facts:

Parsons JR: 31.0 min per game, 12.4 Pts, 6.9 Rebs, 3.8 A+S+B, 2.0 TOs, 49.3% on 2s, 35.8% on 3s, 66.2% on FTs in 34 games.

Parsons SR: 34.1 min per game, 11.3 Pts, 7.8 Rebs, 5.1 A+S+B, 2.3 TOs, 48% on 2s, 36.8% on 3s, 55.7% on FTs in 36 games.

Robinson JR: 24.9 min per game, 11.1 Pts, 5.8 Rebs, 2.2 A+S+B, 1.1 TOs, 47.5% on 2s, 37.5% on 3s, 75% on FTs in 27 game so far.

So they are similar players though Parsons was a much better assist man while Robinson is a much better free throw shooter and has fewer turnovers.

And Robinson put up similar numbers to Parsons in significantly fewer minutes. If you inflate Robinsons numbers this year to Parsons SR year 34.1 minutes you get:

That shows you how much of the difference between the two is an artifact of the minutes played. Donovan played 10ish players much of the time early in his tenure at UF. Then he won back to back titles with a short bench and shortened his bench the rest of the time at UF. So Parson played 30+ minutes a game while there is not much chance Robinson will this year or as a SR even if he comes back. But it is clear from these numbers Robinson is every bit the player at UF that Parsons was.

The numbers you posted show DRob would be as good as Parsons if he got the minutes - and thanks or taking the time to do the work. But DRob hasn't shown that he can't handle the ball as well as Parsons, he can't shoot the ball as well as Parsons, thus keeping him on the floor (like you would with a guy like Parsons) isn't always the best call, especially when he disappears sometimes. DRob can likely defend better than Parsons when he has his head in the game, I'll give him that.
Parsons got more minutes because he could sustain his level of play on a consistent basis, he was more versatile and a better shooter, thus he was a more valuable player than DRob currently is. If DRob could sustain consistency for longer stretches, he'd be getting his 30 mpg, but he's just not the consistent impact player that Parsons was, yet. I still believe DRob can get to the level to be the impact player that Parsons was, and get drafted, as Parsons was. But as it stands right now, I don't think he'd get drafted this year if he declared. I really hope he comes back and proves me wrong and that he can be best player he knows he can be.

Last edited:

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

Now onto the facts:

The numbers don't tell the whole story. Parsons was the top option on the team. Defenses planned against him as a key. They don't do that with Robinson. You can watch the games and see that Robinson doesn't impact the game and create opportunities the way Parsons did.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
The numbers don't tell the whole story. Parsons was the top option on the team. Defenses planned against him as a key. They don't do that with Robinson. You can watch the games and see that Robinson doesn't impact the game and create opportunities the way Parsons did.

T. But DRob hasn't shown that he can't handle the ball as well as Parsons, he can't shoot the ball as well as Parsons, thus keeping him on the floor (like you would with a guy like Parsons) isn't always the best call, especially when he disappears sometimes. DRob can likely defend better than Parsons when he has his head in the game,

Ok, ATX I agree the numbers do not tell the whole story, but Parsons was certainly not the top option on a team with E. Walker. E. Walker was E. Walker's first option and he had the ball. Defenses did not plan for Parsons, they planned for UF's leading scorers where E.Walker, Boynton, Macklin then Parsons. Actually when I watch the games, I see a player in Robinson who is treated almost exactly the same as defenses treated Parsons. Heck Parsons and Robinson both have the same big play, put back dunks.

Bart you need to look at my post more closely. Robinson is objectively a better shooter than Parsons. Robinson is slightly better from 3 point range, Parsons was slightly better inside the arc, Robinson is drastically better from the FT line. Also one of the key factors with Parsons at UF was his bad handle. Robinson is not great or confident dribbling the ball, but he is certainly not as bad as Parsons was at UF. AU's 6'3" SFs almost ran Parsons off the court because Parsons could not handle the ball around such players.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Ok, ATX I agree the numbers do not tell the whole story, but Parsons was certainly not the top option on a team with E. Walker. E. Walker was E. Walker's first option and he had the ball. Defenses did not plan for Parsons, they planned for UF's leading scorers where E.Walker, Boynton, Macklin then Parsons. Actually when I watch the games, I see a player in Robinson who is treated almost exactly the same as defenses treated Parsons. Heck Parsons and Robinson both have the same big play, put back dunks.

Bart you need to look at my post more closely. Robinson is objectively a better shooter than Parsons. Robinson is slightly better from 3 point range, Parsons was slightly better inside the arc, Robinson is drastically better from the FT line. Also one of the key factors with Parsons at UF was his bad handle. Robinson is not great or confident dribbling the ball, but he is certainly not as bad as Parsons was at UF. AU's 6'3" SFs almost ran Parsons off the court because Parsons could not handle the ball around such players.
I think you were watching different games. While Walker liked to shoot he was not the first option by design. Macklin was. Boynton certainly was not a focus of the D because he couldn't shoot consistently. Walker was too short to present much of a problem when he drove. The most offensive dynamic and aggressive player was Parsons.

Ask yourself these two questions.

1. Would you rather have Robinson than Parsons?

2. Who would you rather have with the ball in their hands and game on the line?

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Okay Insti, I'll concede that both are pretty close to each other shooting-wise and Robinson's got better numbers from the FT line. Although CP shot 70+ more FTs than DRob in their second to last seasons.
I'll still contend Parsons was the more complete player. If I'm not mistaken, I remember Parsons playing point every now and again - I don't think DRob's ever done that.
I'm looking at the last two years for both, so depending on the season:
CP averaged 1 to 3 rebounds per game more than DRob.
CP averaged 2 to 3 assists per game more than DRob.
DRob averaged about 1 turnover less than CP.
Advantage CP, though he was a year older than DRob when comparing these numbers.
Do I think DRob can be better than CP? Yes, but he's got some work to do, mainly be more consistent in impacting the game with his abilities, IMO.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah UVA managed a whopping 48 points at home in overtime against Miami last night. :lol:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I think you were watching different games. While Walker liked to shoot he was not the first option by design. Macklin was. Boynton certainly was not a focus of the D because he couldn't shoot consistently. Walker was too short to present much of a problem when he drove. The most offensive dynamic and aggressive player was Parsons.

Ask yourself these two questions.

1. Would you rather have Robinson than Parsons?

2. Who would you rather have with the ball in their hands and game on the line?

1. I would take Robinson at UF over Parsons at UF.

2. I would rather have Robinson with the ball in his hands and the game on the line over Parsons mainly because over Robinson's superior handle and ability to jump quicker to get off a mid range jumper.

BTW, I am more in the compare the two guys in the upperclass seasons, ie Parsons JR and SR to Robinsons on going JR seasaon. I think that is a more reasonable comparison.

Last edited:

GatorBart

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
1. I would take Robinson at UF over Parsons at UF.

2. I would rather have Robinson with the ball in his hands and the game on the line over Parsons mainly because over Robinson's superior handle and ability to jump quicker to get off a mid range jumper.

BTW, I am more in the compare the two guys in the upperclass seasons, ie Parsons JR and SR to Robinsons on going JR seasaon. I think that is a more reasonable comparison.
Gave DRob (and you) some props for his performance last night in the USCe game thread.

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
I was going through ESPNs Recruiting player rankings for next year and this year and just saw some great news. They updated their rankings

#59 Isaiah Stokes
#64 DeAundre Ballard
#98 Chase Johnson

Stokes made a huge jump and Johnson did as well I think

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.