The Texas Job - AC (After Charlie), Mac on their list

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
Someone start a firestrong.com then a hireMac.com I would love to see this non recruiting clown out of Gainesville

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
must be a Full Moon!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I remember scratching my head at how terrible Ron Zook's STs were given his experience.
Zook's STs were terrible when he got demoted from DC to STC also. I honestly dont remember him being good at anything except recruiting.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Being a good recruiter just means you are a good liar!

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Zook's STs were terrible when he got demoted from DC to STC also. I honestly dont remember him being good at anything except recruiting.

From people who know him personally, he would pound Natural Lights until midnight, get up at 4:30 and be working out by 5. Every day.

So there's that.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
From people who know him personally, he would pound Natural Lights until midnight, get up at 4:30 and be working out by 5. Every day.

So there's that.
So, he'd be good at strength training coach?

He should have been fired just for drinking Natty Light. We can't have shyt like that associated with our university. No offense, T.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I can't believe Gruden didn't make he list. Or does Texas not want to compete with Tennessee?
In all seriousness, apparently Gruden isn't happy with ESPN. As most know, that place has gone to the shïtter. They've run off all of their best talent, especially those with a high paycheck. Gruden is the highest paid person. He's not happy they got rid of Mike Tirico. I believe this is the last year of his contract...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Tinerc will fire Bytch on the spot if they think their Grudenator is finally available.

Last edited:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
To get valid on these recent "coach-dump" movements perhaps someone could collect and present
data on past big-big successfully coached programs, plotting the various numbers of years that
coaches took before reaching the top ? All with a look towards : Have fan bases gotten quick-fix fever ?
Is fan-rabies making shambles out of reasonable HC development careers ?

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
I don't see Mac going anywhere at least till after the 2017 season if we continue to do just average. I thought that only way Strong could save his job was to beat OU, so he's gone and I see him coming here to replace Collins. I believe Collins will be a HC next year. As for Texas if they don't get their first choice of Tom Herman (I thought that he wouldn't leave Houston, but with no invite to the "Big 12" he could be gone) I see in this order as their top choices Fedora, Miles, and on the outside looking in Jimbo .

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
I would be excited of the prospect of Strong coming here if Mac were to go. However I seriously doubt Mac would take that job. Taking the HC job at Texas is a death wish.
You honestly think the expectations there are higher than they are here?

Have you read this board?

I'll have what you're having :lol:

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
Yeah, if Foley was still AD, he'd be fumbling all over himself right now writing up a lifetime extension for Mac.
Joke's on you, he has until November 1st to get that deal done.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Reminds me a little of when there was talk Muschamp was on some colleges radar for their HC job prior to the collapse in 2013.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Sending mac to texas would be sweet revenge for them sending us muschamp.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
From what I heard from sources close to the program Texas would not pursue McElwain, Freeze or Dykes.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I've been one of the harshest critics of certain areas of the program under Mac(i.e recruiting). But I'm honestly surprised at some of the thinking here. I hate to go broken record here, but many felt in early 2015 that we were 3 years away from being a real contender, even for the pathetic East. There was no illusion of us becoming great overnight. The reality is, after completely defying the odds in year 1, we are one really bad half of football from having a two game lead again this year.

As was pointed out, we're no where near where we need to be offensively, but we all knew that it would be ugly due to WM's horribly unbalanced recruiting. It isn't good yet, but it is still considerably better than what we witnessed for 4 years. And I'm not sure what system works effectively when you inherit the OL situation we have.

Again, I'm not saying Mac absolutely is the answer. But the quickness with which some of you are anxiously willing to throw in the towel is shocking. Things could obviously go south between now and the end of the year. But considering we're way ahead of what most expected through 1.5 seasons, I think it's reasonable to a least give it that.
I get what you're saying and I see some positives but the complete collapse from last year and the fact that we really haven't played anyone this year leaves a lot of us uncomfortable.....Recruiting also says perception around the program is still wait and see.

The offense is better in design no doubt but it still stutters and stammers around for 3/4 of most games, no "true superstars" are emerging either. The defense went into limp mode the first time they were tested by real athletes of the same caliber(UT) just like the same as over the last 5-6 years. Depth in the trenches is and will be a glaring problem going forward especially on defense next year......this has not been addressed at all.

Mac is so far 2-2 in rivalry games and I believe 1-5 against ranked teams. We constantly struggle with far inferior opponents which pushes our starters deeper into games where backups should getting game reps and it is taking it's toll on the starters health(injuries). Some of this might be on the players motivation and effort but isn't that a sign of a top tier coach. Meyer, Saban and Harbaugh dismantle the lessor teams on their schedule quickly and then turn it over to the young guys to cut their teeth for the future...

Luckily for us UGA sucks....we'll win BUT we won't know the real measure of this team until we make a road trip to play the Pigs in November. Win that one and I think we'll stay the course....fail and well as I like to say, if you're going to fail better to fail fast then start again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.