UCF has a coach, quarterback and team on the rise. Should we go after Scott Frost?

Status
Not open for further replies.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Its not worth it bro.

Yeah.....yeah, you're right.
giphy.gif

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Every one of these threads includes a comment or three about the need for a home-run hire. I laugh. It's delusionary. There are none. Home-run hires are guys you feel 100% certain you could plug in and go out and immediately compete for a championship. Problem is, none of the home-run hires -- Saban, Meyer, Swinney -- is going anywhere.

Kelly, Stoops and maybe Gundy are the only guys you could conceive of adding to that elite group and yet there are myriad reasons why none of them is a practical choice.

That leaves a slew of hot prospects and also-rans, all heaped in a speculative pile.

I can think of maybe one UF home-run hire in my lifetime -- Spurrier -- and even then there were people who doubted his discipline and commitment. As much as some of you will argue in hindsight, Meyer was not a home-run hire. He was a young up-and-comer no different than Frost. We rolled the dice and won.

It'll probably end up that way again.

FlGator19382

Oct 7, 2017
Every one of these threads includes a comment or three about the need for a home-run hire. I laugh. It's delusionary. There are none. Home-run hires are guys you feel 100% certain you could plug in and go out and immediately compete for a championship. Problem is, none of the home-run hires -- Saban, Meyer, Swinney -- is going anywhere.

Kelly, Stoops and maybe Gundy .

I highly doubt Gundy is going to leave his alma mater to come to UF.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Kelly, Stoops and maybe Gundy are the only guys you could conceive of adding to that elite group and yet there are myriad reasons why none of them is a practical choice.

That leaves a slew of hot prospects and also-rans, all heaped in a speculative pile.

I can think of maybe one UF home-run hire in my lifetime -- Spurrier -- and even then there were people who doubted his discipline and commitment. As much as some of you will argue in hindsight, Meyer was not a home-run hire. He was a young up-and-comer no different than Frost. We rolled the dice and won.

It'll probably end up that way again.

I'm going to disagree here regarding Meyer. The man had an undefeated season under his belt, BCS bowl victory, and had improved multiple programs significantly at a young age when hired.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm going to disagree here regarding Meyer. The man had an undefeated season under his belt, BCS bowl victory, and had improved multiple programs significantly at a young age when hired.

He did improve bowling green and Utah... but Meyer wasn't a slam dunk. The jump from non-P5 to SEC is a large jump. Some guys who excel at the lower levels do not make the jump.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member

Agreed. Meyer had the pedigree and worked his way up to "the next big thing". He was as can't miss as you can possibly get.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
He did improve bowling green and Utah... but Meyer wasn't a slam dunk. The jump from non-P5 to SEC is a large jump. Some guys who excel at the lower levels do not make the jump.

..... now GatorNation, as a whole, is ready to take a fiying leap.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
UCF is already scrambling to keep him.

@CFTalk: Given Scott-Frost-Nebraska chatter, UCF announces funding initiative #collegefootball http://wp.me/p14QTT-1D6E

It seems inevitable that Nebraska is going to fire Riley. Terrible hire from the get-go. If they do I this year, it's very, very likely Frost takes it (it's all over the Nebraska and national sites). He'll likely get a few other offers that could be attractive. He's from the state of Nebraska, so I have a really hard time thinking he'd turn the job down. But Bob Stoops was offered Iowa and chose Oklahoma instead, which is understandable - it's a better job, better tradition, etc. But you have to think that UF would be an attractive offer to him....if it's even available. I still think we're getting one more year of Butters, so Frost is likely off the list.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It seems inevitable that Nebraska is going to fire Riley. Terrible hire from the get-go. If they do I this year, it's very, very likely Frost takes it (it's all over the Nebraska and national sites). He'll likely get a few other offers that could be attractive. He's from the state of Nebraska, so I have a really hard time thinking he'd turn the job down. But Bob Stoops was offered Iowa and chose Oklahoma instead, which is understandable - it's a better job, better tradition, etc. But you have to think that UF would be an attractive offer to him....if it's even available. I still think we're getting one more year of Butters, so Frost is likely off the list.

The problem also with Frost not only did he play there, but I believe they are a multi-generational family with Nebraska. Multiple generations of his family played there. It will be a hard sell to pull him away from that tradition. It is probably what caused him to transfer from Stanford to Nebraska.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
The problem also with Frost not only did he play there, but I believe they are a multi-generational family with Nebraska. Multiple generations of his family played there. It will be a hard sell to pull him away from that tradition. It is probably what caused him to transfer from Stanford to Nebraska.
I'm not so sure about this. He did go to Stanford when that was the best opportunity for him and he's in Florida now. I think he'd be open to going wherever the best opportunity for him was.

Personally I think he is thinking bigger than pining away for Lincoln Nebraska as his ultimate goal. I think he's going to end up in the NFL as a HC eventually.

What better leap than to spend a few years leading UF back to the top of the SEC and toppling the Old man at Bama? Saban ain't getting any younger and someone in the SEC is going to figure him out eventually, or he'll retire or die, one or the other. Whoever topples him will be on top of college football (like Dabo was until they blew it at 'Cuse) Then he can have his pick of any open NFL job he wants and I'll wish him all the best as I stare at our 4th National Championship trophy. Hey, we can dream, can't we?

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
I posted this on that other forum arguing with the guys who are trying to downplay Frost because of the quality of the teams they have played. I might as well post it here:

These are facts:

-UCF is leading the nation in points per game, 5th in yards per game and are ranked and undefeated. No matter how you want to spin how terrible the opponents are, this is their record. What's ours in the 3rd year of the current staff?

-Frost comes from an incredible pedigree, Coaches he was taught by at one time or another; Bill Walsh, Tom Osborn, Bill Parcells, Bill Belichick, Chip Kelly and Jon Gruden. But despite this he doesn't try to duplicate a template of his mentors programs because he knows that generally doesn't work (sound familiar?)

-Frost might be the only candidate for the job who has experience serving as both and OC and DC and HC. As DC at N. Iowa 2008 his team lead their division in scoring defense and rushing defense and finished 3rd in total defense in all of FCS. If you check UCF's record now you'll see this is no Texas Tech type team where you average 50 points a game but give up 45. They're winning by an average of 5 TD's. Okay, the competition isn't that good (but at least equal to UCF in recruiting). What is he supposed to do, beat them by 6 TD's? Then would he have proven himself?

-Frost is actually playing Scout QB in UCF practice. The guy is literally strapping on a helmet and lining up with his players teaching them how to defend against Navy's Option attack. He does this regularly strapping on cleats and working with the players on special teams. The guy is as energetic and fully engaged with winning as you can get.

-Frost is going to get an offer for Power 5 Job this year, probably multiple offers.

What is opinion, not fact;

Frost is an excellent candidate to lead us out of a decade of offensive ineptitude while maintaining defensive excellence. He might be the most promising candidate to come along since Urban Meyer and we will likely only have one shot at him, that being this year. Frost might just be the type of coach it would take to challenge the old guard in Tuscaloosa for an SEC title. He's already recruiting the state and would be a great recruiter being able to offer the kids a chance to play for him at the flagship University. Frost would come in believing he could build a program to beat Bama. Do you think McElwain really believes that? SEC East Champion rings and special Tee Shirts he had made up tell me otherwise. Mac's motto might as well be "Not just good, but good enough".

How do you think players like playing for Frost? Do you think Muschamp or McElwain ball is fun for the players, especially the offensive players?

"Festive and loose atmosphere sums up the UCF football program these days — fun and energetic while in the midst of one of the more impressive turnarounds in college football.

"The kids just love to see that," UCF athletic director Danny White said of the coaching staff participating in Friday practices. "We have a youthful energy around our program right now that makes it fun to be around."

It all starts with Frost, the Knights' 42-year-old coach.

The former Nebraska quarterback is about winning but he also is about his players enjoying the experience and staying in the moment.
"

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I would be thrilled to see Frost as UF's coach in 2018.

That is all.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Meyer took a perennial 4-8 win per season team in Utah and went 10-2 his first season and 12-0 the next. Previously he turned around a 2-5 win Bowling Green team into 8-9 wins. Meyer took bad teams and took them to heights never seen. Meyer had four years of HC experience when he took the UF job.

Frost has accomplished nothing, yet. UCF regularly finishes at the top of their conference, playing ranked teams close and sometimes winning. They went 6-7 last year. They are off to a good start this year but have yet to face a ranked team and may not all season. Frost has 1.5 years of HC experience.

There is no comparison of the accomplishments of Meyer to Frost. Yeah Meyer was a risk but at least you could point at his record and say that he was a winner and improved each team he coached. Maybe Frost turns out to be a good one but if I'm a Bull Gator I'm not placing money on that bet. I'm still paying for Chump, and will have to pay twice as much to dump Mac. I'm not rolling the dice on anyone with that short of a resume.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Meyer took a perennial 4-8 win per season team in Utah and went 10-2 his first season and 12-0 the next. Previously he turned around a 2-5 win Bowling Green team into 8-9 wins. Meyer took bad teams and took them to heights never seen. Meyer had four years of HC experience when he took the UF job.

Frost has accomplished nothing, yet. UCF regularly finishes at the top of their conference, playing ranked teams close and sometimes winning. They went 6-7 last year. They are off to a good start this year but have yet to face a ranked team and may not all season. Frost has 1.5 years of HC experience.

There is no comparison of the accomplishments of Meyer to Frost. Yeah Meyer was a risk but at least you could point at his record and say that he was a winner and improved each team he coached. Maybe Frost turns out to be a good one but if I'm a Bull Gator I'm not placing money on that bet. I'm still paying for Chump, and will have to pay twice as much to dump Mac. I'm not rolling the dice on anyone with that short of a resume.

UCF was 0-12 before Frost took he took over. I guess that's a little different than finishing at the top of their conference. And it's a totally different market than when Urban came out. Today he never would have made it past BG before he got a better gig. Frost at UCF is Urban at BG, not Urban at Utah, which happens to currently be a power 5 program.

Back then there were a handful of programs that could pay the big money and we were one of the few haves among the sea of have-nots. Today there are 20 coaches, not a typo, 20 coaches making over 4 million a year. Over 3 million and that list balloons to 36 coaches.

Bottom line is use your eyes and your ears, go watch some of his press conferences. He has HC experience and has done a remarkable job and is going to get a bigtime job. Look at the clowns who have been SEC head coaches commanding huge salaries over the last few years, Muschamp, McElwain, Jones, Derek Dooley, Orgeron, Mullen, etc, etc.

Frost has winner written all over him unlike the last couple of losers we hired. He would be a great hire and if we passed on him because he didn't have enough HC experience it would be a big mistake in my opinion.

Check out the interview after his first year and before this year. He's got real confidence, not Mac-stank's false bravado.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member

There's a great thread on another site about hiring. To sum it up, you're not going to get the resume you are looking for anymore. TV money has really leveled the playing field. Take Fuente for example. He's not leaving. That ship sailed. Va Tech can and will pony up the money to keep him. No one really moves from P5 to P5. Rarely if at all. I think it said maybe 9 in the last few years, Franklin being one of the best.

Everyone is a gamble at this point. Frost is going to cash in, probably NU but he'll have major offers. If we are going to rty to hold out for some golden goose...it ain't happenin'. It's not.

Grab your dice.

EDIT: lagator, great post.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
There's a great thread on another site about hiring. To sum it up, you're not going to get the resume you are looking for anymore. TV money has really leveled the playing field. Take Fuente for example. He's not leaving. That ship sailed. Va Tech can and will pony up the money to keep him. No one really moves from P5 to P5. Rarely if at all. I think it said maybe 9 in the last few years, Franklin being one of the best.

Everyone is a gamble at this point. Frost is going to cash in, probably NU but he'll have major offers. If we are going to rty to hold out for some golden goose...it ain't happenin'. It's not.

Grab your dice.

EDIT: lagator, great post.

Yep, no higher-level P5 school is losing their coach to another program. Bielema from Wisconsin to Arkansas, Gary Anderson from Wisconsin to Oregon State, and Mike Riley from Oregon State to Nebraska are outliers. Franklin to Penn State (from Vandy) makes sense. It's a top level P5 school, a blue-blood. No one is staying at a Vandy, Duke, Wake Forest, Kentucky, Purdue, Minnesota type program for a blue-blood. Va Tech isn't necessarily a blue-blood, but it's a top football school. They're fan base is rabid (I live in Virginia, trust me).

I think a PJ Fleck would leave Minnesota, Brohm would leave, and a few others. But thinking we're pulling a coach "with a resume" is nuts....or unrealistic at best.

ThreatMatrix keeps harping on Frost not being ready. I disagree. I just think we're not going to be his landing spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.