UF hires Houston OC Brian Johnson to be QB coach

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
Lol. Exchange “Fulmer” for “Law” and whatever they call major Vol boosters for Bull Gators. They are living that hell.

You really think that Law has the experience and training to determine who might be a decent coach with Fulmer? No matter what you might think Phil has years of experience, has been a coach, and knows many people in the industry. I bet he would have liked others, but just as with us they were not coming.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
JFC guys. This is regarded by most not on this board as a really solid hire. Dak really liked how he was able to develop under him, so you have a good player referral on his coaching. He is reported to be an excellent recruiter. He won’t be calling plays even if he gets an OC title of some sort.

What I am more concerned about is that we look to have 6 offensive coaches coming in. I understand we need the offense to pick up, but our defense needs help too.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not comfortable with all the yes men. Sorry.
You do realize assistants are generally subordinate to the head coach, right?

Were you hoping for a lot of arguing?

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015

I understand what you are saying, but coaches hire those that they know, I would also prefer a more diverse in experience staff instead of one just associated with the HBC. That said we will see what success they have and if he declines to adapt he will be fired eventually. That the lack of cooperation with his bosses, and the stupid death threats is what got Mac., not just losing and bad football.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I understand what you are saying, but coaches hire those that they know, I would also prefer a more diverse in experience staff instead of one just associated with the HBC. That said we will see what success they have and if he declines to adapt he will be fired eventually. That the lack of cooperation with his bosses, and the stupid death threats is what got Mac., not just losing and bad football.
If I were assembling a coaching staff, I'd consider it vital to surround myself with people I knew, people I knew I could work and communicate with, and above and beyond all people I knew I could trust.

I doubt I'd do it much different than Mullen.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
I understand what you are saying, but coaches hire those that they know...

Exactly. This is common practice in coaching, corporate and military circles. You certainly hope nobody hires “yes men,” although it happens. Senior leaders value cohesive teamwork at the highest level because everything, good or bad, rolls downhill.

I’m optimistic Johnson is a good hire. Why? He’s NOT NUSS!

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
JFC guys. This is regarded by most not on this board as a really solid hire. Dak really liked how he was able to develop under him, so you have a good player referral on his coaching. He is reported to be an excellent recruiter. He won’t be calling plays even if he gets an OC title of some sort.

What I am more concerned about is that we look to have 6 offensive coaches coming in. I understand we need the offense to pick up, but our defense needs help too.
Grantham will get his guys. He just got on board.

Durfish

Feed me!
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
Exactly. This is common practice in coaching, corporate and military circles. You certainly hope nobody hires “yes men,” although it happens. Senior leaders value cohesive teamwork at the highest level because everything, good or bad, rolls downhill.

I’m optimistic Johnson is a good hire. Why? He’s NOT NUSS!
I'm with my fellow Master Chief on this. Hiring people you know does not equate to "yes men". Trust does not mean lack of diversity in opinions. In my experience I trusted most those who could show me my "blind spots" and give me alternatives. Finding people who do that as part of a solid team is gold.

I'll trust Mullen and his hires until I have a reason not to trust them. Now, if he holds on to a turd a la Butters...

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
I'm not comfortable with all the yes men. Sorry.

Yeah...he should hire a bunch of guys he has no clue about and cross his fingers they all gel together....cause hiring people you know and have worked with before is terrible. Because they know each other, they wont respect authority....:confused:

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
I'm with my fellow Master Chief on this. Hiring people you know does not equate to "yes men". Trust does not mean lack of diversity in opinions. In my experience I trusted most those who could show me my "blind spots" and give me alternatives. Finding people who do that as part of a solid team is gold.

I'll trust Mullen and his hires until I have a reason not to trust them. Now, if he holds on to a turd a la Butters...

What DM needs is a Command Master Chief on his support staff. Can I get a witness, bruthah??!!

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Doesnt matter, they are all scumbag losers. Not one of them can coach and we will only win 2 games next year....sound about right?

... surely there is a trophy-point bundle ox can award you for working so hard on your optimism.;)

... like the contrarians Saban keeps around ... the envy of all CFB CEOs.

If I were assembling a coaching staff, I'd consider it vital to surround myself with people I knew, people I knew I could work and communicate with, and above and beyond all people I knew I could trust.

I doubt I'd do it much different than Mullen.

That way Mullen can utter one sentence and know his coach has the paragraphs pop into his mind. There'll still be new and different lines drawn on the I-Pads.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Rex proving once again his only care in life is to be mad at something
Total bull**** as usual. I love the basketball team and coach White. That doesn't jive with your theory though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator