Why didn't we hire Charlie Strong back in 2010 again?

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n92192 said:
We dont know who he was referring to. He never called program out by name. It could have been on school; it could have been multiple schools.

Again, I did not say anything. I did not even mention Foley. Stop trying to put words in my mouth. I just quoted people in ESPN articles.

We don t know who he was referring to. I don't think anybody said it was definitely Florida who he was talking about.

"Well I'll just come out and say it. Word on the street was that boosters did not like his wife." - Gatoravatara

I didn't put any words in your mouth, I just asked you whether you think Foley would put up with the crap you've suggested.

Look man, quit pussy footing around about it by using plausible deniability phrases like "word on the street" and "I've heard" . You started out by saying that Strong wasn't hired because of racist boosters at Florida. When you make claims like that you better be able to back it up with facts.

divits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n92276 said:
That is just silly. I remember on Gatorsports people were saying this. Then Strong said the same thing in the article. These are not my words. Dont make me dig up the Gatorsports. Here is the exact quote:

"For years, a popular rumor in Southeastern Conference circles has Florida defensive coordinator Charlie Strong missing out on head-coaching jobs because his wife, Victoria, is white. Strong, who is black, even acknowledged the rumors to the Sentinel's Mike Bianchi at last year's national championship game. "Everybody always said I didn't get that job because my wife is white," Strong told Bianchi in January. "If you think about it, a coach is standing up there representing the university. If you're not strong enough to look through that (interracial marriage) then you have an issue."

So I guess you could narrow it down to schools in the SEC. It could have been several schools in the SEC. So yes it was on the streets.

OK, let's review because you're all over the place. That article and quote was never in question.

The title to this thread is, "Why didn't we (Florida) hire Charlie Strong back in 2010 again?"

And your very first response was, "Well I'll just come out and say it. Word on the street was that boosters did not like his wife."

Back stoke all you like, but there is no other way to interpret that than you're saying racist boosters at Florida didn't want Strong hired in 2010 because of his white wife. That is not the case and as I said before, Foley wouldn't let that happen.

divits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n92306 said:
That was my mistake. I did not see the 2010 part. I just noticed it now. So for that I apologize. But the OP is confusing. Louisville hired him on Dec 2009. How would we be able to hire him in 2010?

I think we've both spent too much of our lives on this debate. :D

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Interesting Thread. Timing had more than likely 95% of the issue here. I think deep down Strong loves UF but it never worked out. Even with Meyer resigning and then unresigning I feared that he was wanting the Daztard to inherit the program. We'll never know as Louisville came calling. With firing WM now the timing still would suck for hiring strong.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Maybe there is truth to the rumor, maybe the boosters really didnt like his wife. But does that mean they are racist? I dislike some people, including some women; does that mean im racist? Maybe she was just a b*tch and they didnt like her or maybe dislike was due to the fact that they played the race card. I sure can't stand it when people pull that card. Not taking sides, just pointing out how ridiculous this whole debate is, even if rumors about boosters disliking his wife are true. Dislike does not automatically equate to racism.

ntcrze

Founding Member
Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Because his wife is white. Gator boosters is filled with old white men that didn't like that. That's why!

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
ntcrze;n92502 said:
Because his wife is white. Gator boosters is filled with old white men that didn't like that. That's why!

if you believe this you're the racist.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
SavannahGator;n91749 said:
Here we go again. This topic keeps coming up, both here and on other boards. It has NOTHING, NOTHING, NOTHING to do with Charlie "not being ready" for a HC job, Charlie being African-American, or any other reason, other than timing.

Let's go back a short while in Gator history to Saturday, December 5, 2009. We had just been clobbered by Bama in the SECCG. Evidently, known only to Urban, his wife Shelley, and (I think) AD Foley, Urban had his chest spasms in the stadium after the game, and especially, when he got home. He must have just let it pass, and within days, Charlie was contacted by, and days after that, hired as Louisville's HC. Later in that December, days before our Sugar Bowl match with Cincinnati, Urban decided to "retire." Then he "unretired." So he was still going to coach us into 2010, and Charlie was GONE.

Fast-forward to early December, 2010. Urban decides to leave, for REAL. Charlie has been a HC, but for just one year at Louisville, the team that gave him a chance at HC. He wasn't going to leave them after just one year, and I believe he made that clear. So he was "off the board."

So Charlie had just completed his first year at Louisville when we hired Will. That's it. There's no "conspiracy theory," no "crap about Strong not haveing any head coaching experience," NONE of that. It was all a matter of timing.

I still contend that if Urban KNEW he was quitting on December 6, 2009, and was committed to that, he could have told Foley he was quitting after the Sugar Bowl and to appoint Charlie the HC. But Urban didn't do that.
I agree with the timing mentioned above, but he could have been hired last year. I also realize that this is beating a dead horse but he was available after the dumpster fire a year ago. Instead of hiring Charlie, or anybody for that matter, Fooley decided to throw gasoline on the fire this year which leads to this discussion.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n91810 said:
Not really picking a fight, that was a pretty damn good team we faced that night. They finished ranked 11th in the country and were favored to beat us pretty handily anyway. Besides, two of their touchdowns were on a blocked FG and a punt return, so it's not like their offense was rolling up and down the field on us. Offense couldn't do sh*t and Chris Leak kept sliding short of the 1st down marker on 3rd down.
That's right. Leak started getting into the "ducking mode" after every throw as well a long time before that. And then the sliding short crap. I've always hated that sliding business anyway. But you nailed it captain.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
dubster1;n91897 said:
coach strong will win big at texas.once he put out the tire fire mack brown started.
You notice the chump was with Mack Brown. Maybe it was the chump that started the fire. They had no offense OR defense.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
dubster1;n91921 said:
yep! you are correct. too bad i actually think the guy can coach. hell and about his white wife,whats the problem they dont have to sleep with her."geesh" he's coaching football
I don't know whether Strong is a great HC but I do know that he is a great recruiter and all the ties he has in Florida is just a plus. We also know he is a good defensive guy. He could actually hire a decent OC and let him do his job. It's hard to believe that he would not be a good fit at Florida.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
crosscreekcooter;n92036 said:
"I think the whole thing is a bit sideways," McCombs said of the selection process during an interview with ESPN 1250 San Antonio. "I don't have any doubt that Charlie is a fine coach. I think he would make a great position coach, maybe a coordinator.

Are you sure he wasn't referring to the chump?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator