Why didn't we hire Charlie Strong back in 2010 again?

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n91988 said:
From what I heard, they did not want him to be the HEAD coach. Other positions were fine. Witness what happened to Strong when he first was chosen at Texas. One booster said he was only qualified to be a positions coach. It was nice of Louisville to break that barrier. Some people still cringe when they see interracial couples, but times are slowly changing. I think that if the same situation presented itself now at Florida, Foley would go ahead and pull the trigger on it. I remember when the big issue was why arent there any black coaches in the NFL, NBA. Now that issue has completely gone away. Now if a black coach is fired, everybody knows it is not about race. Also, it seems as all the NBA players have white girlfriends or wives.

And I heard that that was a bunch of crap and that he and his wife were welcomed as were all of the coaches and their wives. And I'm missing what Texas has to do with Florida. He was never in a position to be our head coach. The timing of his career and the head coach openings at Florida didn't jibe. We had a chance to get the hottest coach in the country in Meyer and we took advantage of that opportunity.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Gatoravatara;n92002 said:
Nobody now a days is going to say I dont want this guy because of his race. I think that might be illegal. Everybody is PC now. They will say it behind closed doors.

" Red McCombs Bashes Texas hire"

"Longtime booster Red McCombs is not a fan of Texas' decision to hire coach Charlie Strong away from Louisville, calling it a "kick in the face" during a radio interview Monday."

"I think the whole thing is a bit sideways," McCombs said of the selection process during an interview with ESPN 1250 San Antonio. "I don't have any doubt that Charlie is a fine coach. I think he would make a great position coach, maybe a coordinator.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ie-strong-hire

I don't doubt that any school is going to have its share of backwards thinking supporters(not unique to the south either). But as I said above, if Texas--with the good ole boy money that they have--was willing to hire him despite ruffling a few feathers, do you really think it was the issue at a place like UF? Come on. By your own admission, Louisville broke the ice. The vols were falling all over themselves to land him. And eventually Texas did. You really think Foley was watching this and yet didn't or couldn't make a move because of a few redneck boosters?

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n92002 said:
Nobody now a days is going to say I dont want this guy because of his race. I think that might be illegal. Everybody is PC now. They will say it behind closed doors.

" Red McCombs Bashes Texas hire"

"Longtime booster Red McCombs is not a fan of Texas' decision to hire coach Charlie Strong away from Louisville, calling it a "kick in the face" during a radio interview Monday."

"I think the whole thing is a bit sideways," McCombs said of the selection process during an interview with ESPN 1250 San Antonio. "I don't have any doubt that Charlie is a fine coach. I think he would make a great position coach, maybe a coordinator.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ie-strong-hire
You failed to paste some other important portions of the story. McCombs gifted 100 million to UT. He said that prior to the AD hiring Charlie Strong, McCombs publicly lobbied for Jon Gruden as the new coach. McCombs also said that when Mack Brown was hired, the boosters had a lot of input. The kick in the stomach comment was related to the fact that during this hiring process the boosters (or more specifically McCombs) had no input, not because of Charlie Strong's skin color. You remember your purely innocent race baiting thread don't you?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
xcsc.gif

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n92014 said:
People will never publicly say I dont like this guy because he is black or his wife is white. They will say this behind closed door. I know this for a fact.

You evidently know a lot more racists than I do so I'll defer to your expertise.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n92164 said:
Look, Strong was the one who thought race was a factor. Why don't you ask him?

Strong was the one who thought race was a factor.....with whom??

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n92164 said:
Look, Strong was the one who thought race was a factor. Why don't you ask him?

But as we've shown time and time again, Strong was not speaking of Florida when discussing the race issue as you continue to allude. The very same Florida that hired him on three separate occasions. And do you really think that poorly of Foley that you believe he would bend to any such claptrap? You sure wouldn't if you met him. Boosters are influential at Florida for sure, but they sure as hell don't run the athletics department like they do at other SEC schools.

Do you really think Strong would be giving interviews about how Florida was racist at the same time he was getting ready to coach Florida in the national championship game?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator