Will Muschamp press conference recap

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n72976 said:
It bothers the hell out of me when people defend driskel and shake morningwig off.

Well I only did the latter so you should be fine.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n73035 said:
He hasn't been given the ball hardly.

When he has, he has not performed. Instead of hitting the hole like he did last year, he is dancing and pausing. Instead of taking what he can, he is continually trying to hit the big play. He isn't playing strong (aka scrong for our FSU readers), and even early in games being knocked down by single contact. He isn't playing like he did last year, there could be mulitple reasons for that change, but to say he is playing the same way he was playing last year would just be O&B glasses talking.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n73037 said:
When he has, he has not performed. Instead of hitting the hole like he did last year, he is dancing and pausing. Instead of taking what he can, he is continually trying to hit the big play. He isn't playing strong (aka scrong for our FSU readers), and even early in games being knocked down by single contact. He isn't playing like he did last year, there could be mulitple reasons for that change, but to say he is playing the same way he was playing last year would just be O&B glasses talking.

He isnt going to get much going when he is only brought in for a few plays a game and the defense is crashing on him most of those plays because the few times he is brought in they have seen the ball is given to him usually. He showed what he could do when our line was terrible last season and he was getting the carries. He is just not one of Muschamp's guys.

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
ufgator2002;n73017 said:
I believe this week we will see a difference in the passing game and it is because of CJ Worton. I know he is freshman but the kid has great hands and route running ability. Also he plays in the slot where most of our drops have come from. I think he will make some good catches early that will aid in opening things up a bit for some play action as well as free up DRob more on the outside. It will will also give JD a bit of confidence and will be enough to give us the win. Not saying JD will be light years better, but I think he will do enough to win. Go Gators!

I think Worton can lessen the blow of losing McGee. Kid seems like a gamer than knows how to get open and make plays. Hopefully he can get a connection with JD and be that go to guy.

TheBigClaw

Founding Member
Proud to be a Gator
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
As long as Driskel doesn't lose us the game we should be fine, won't be pretty but hopefully we walk away with a W

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Coach9;n73043 said:
I think Worton can lessen the blow of losing McGee. Kid seems like a gamer than knows how to get open and make plays. Hopefully he can get a connection with JD and be that go to guy.
Yea maybe he can catch 2 of driskels 8 completions

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n73035 said:
He hasn't been given the ball hardly.

He is behind a RB that is running better than he is. I get the feeling that Kelvin is trying to make everytihing a 15 yard run instead of sometimes taking the 3 or 4 yards in front of him. If he takes the 3 or 4 yard runs, it will open up the bigger plays for him.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Gator Fever;n73042 said:
He isnt going to get much going when he is only brought in for a few plays a game and the defense is crashing on him most of those plays because the few times he is brought in they have seen the ball is given to him usually. He showed what he could do when our line was terrible last season and he was getting the carries. He is just not one of Muschamp's guys.

I'm critical of virtually everything WM does, and was quite certain that KT was the guy this year. But you're wrong on this. If Jones wasn't playing well, then you could argue things. But that hasn't been the case, and Douglas stated exactly what I'vesaid as well. Taylor is dancing and trying to make the big play instead of taking what's there. With our offense being what it is, we can't afford that.

Call it Sophomore-slump, or just a considerable improvement by Jones, but MJ has been better so far this year.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
ATXGator;n73050 said:
He is behind a RB that is running better than he is. I get the feeling that Kelvin is trying to make everytihing a 15 yard run instead of sometimes taking the 3 or 4 yards in front of him. If he takes the 3 or 4 yard runs, it will open up the bigger plays for him.

We will just disagree but it is what it is.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n73049 said:
Yea maybe he can catch 2 of driskels 8 completions

If he catches the ball that is an improvement over our current receiving corp. Maybe Driskel has 10 completions instead of 8 and we get a couple of first downs.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n73042 said:

Fever, I'm sure he is one of Muschamps guys after what he did last season. One of a few bright spots from last season. He didn't look good against either Alabama or Tennesse (which I think is in part due to the spear he took against Kentucky). He has been out of position on a few pass plays, including a third down screen against Alabama which he converted until it was called back due to him being over the line of scrimmage. There are plenty of excuses you can put to it, and he is our most talented back. But in the end it comes down to performance. This year he has under performed when he has been on the field. In 30 rushes this year, he has broken 8 tackles (Matt Jones 23 tackes on 72 rushes). Against EMU 8.5 ypc (8), Kentucky 4.3 ypc (15), Alabama 2.8 ypc (4), and Tennesse 0.3 ypc (3). As I said earlier I think especially against Alabama he was still feeling the effects of the spear against Kentucky.

You can't use the line crashing down on him, because last year with a worse line and him being our only option that was happening. In those games he averaged 4.6 ypc. What other options did we have on offense last year compared to this year?

Now he has limited opportunties, but if you want to be on the field you have to perform in those opportunities. Taylor's best game was against Kentucky (EMU is a glorified scrimmage), and we need more of that Taylor. Comparitively against Kentucky both have 15+ carries Taylor at 4.3 ypc and Jones at 5.4 ypc. Those numbers are not due to lack of distribution in a 2 back system. If you get 15+ carries you have to perform as good as the other guy.

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
Being a defensive guy Muschamp knows how those big backs can wear on you. No matter what offense we are running, he wants to be able to run the ball effectively in the 4th quarter to close out games. I think some of that showed at the end of the game against Tennessee. If we can get some rhythm to the offense and run 80 plays, there will be plenty of carries for everyone.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Guys, please stop with this childish debate about Matt Jones/Kelvin Taylor. This thread is about WM's press conference. Please keep it on topic.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n73064 said:
Guys, please stop with this childish debate about Matt Jones/Kelvin Taylor. This thread is about WM's press conference. Please keep it on topic.
:lol:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I think Kelvin is pressing a little bit. He's probably a lil frustrated too but Jones is playing really really well.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
WobbleGator;n73064 said:

I thought it was required that every thread eventually become about Muschamp needing to be fired, Driskel being horrible or Taylor vs. Jones ;-)

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
There was nothing from the presser that gives you any optimism about the Treon situation. I don't know if that's just because nothing was really said or not. Guess I was just hoping for some positive nugget. Anything. Throw me a frickin' bone here.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Coach9;n73072 said:
There was nothing from the presser that gives you any optimism about the Treon situation. I don't know if that's just because nothing was really said or not. Guess I was just hoping for some positive nugget. Anything. Throw me a frickin' bone here.

He hasn't been charged.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Coach9;n73072 said:

That's because there hasn't been any change yet. Police are taking their time investigating, and from what I understand, bringing TH in to talk to him again.
One could argue whether that's good or bad for whatever reason, but I don't take any optimism or pessimism from the presser simply because nothing is/was different at the time of the presser that isn't already known. In other words, the presser doesn't really mean anything towards it.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Coach9;n73072 said:

You aren't going to hear it from Muschamp. It will probably be a university annoucement if he isn't charged saying that he has been re-instated since the investigation has been completed and he has not been charged.

There is nothing Muschamp can say at this point since the investigation is on-going.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator