Recruiting 2019 Early Signing Day Thread 12/19

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Dude, safeties have been lining up on slots since the dawn of time.

As for Stewart and Davis? Who are they? All I saw out there was Stiner and Taylor, whiffing on tackles and usually not managing to stay in the same TV screen as any player running a deep route.

DMVGator

Aug 15, 2018
Man. Can't win with this group. Fact is, thanks to Foley (which means Urban's quitsies-no-quitsies-dazzio crap, chump and butters), WE ARE A 3 STAR SCHOOL. That's our brand right now. Our facilities suck just as much as our program has sucked for the last 8 years when the match was first thrown in the dumpster. The kids we are recruiting this year were 8 years old the last time we won a NC or was relevant. All they have seen us do is suck for most of their lives.

Mullen was hired to come here and FIX THE OFFENSE and change the culture. So far ... he is doing it. Yesterday was a big step in fixing the offense the right way ... starting with the OL. Throw in picking up a good QB for the 2nd year in a row as well as a good prospect on the board already for next year and I think he is doing it right. Add Wright into the stable of RBs we have as well. He is fixing the O!

With that said, he is going to fail if he breaks the D in the process. Recruiting isn't over yet though and he still has time as well as good prospects still out there to get. Now he needs to go get them and kicks Michigan's azze on the way.

Thats my take on how we sit right now. A lot of positives to like along with the obvious potential negatives coming our way in Feb if he doesn't get some stuff for our D.

Texas hasn’t done anything since what? 2005? Tom Herman didn’t have trouble with his bump class. A&M hasn’t won squat since the 40’s and they will likely finish with a top 5 class.

Oregon’s last championship was when? Yeah their facilities are great, but Cristobal is a great recruiter. They will have a top 10 class and got a consensus top 5 recruit in Kayvon Thibodeaux. Tennessee is going to sign a 5 star recruit. When was the last time we got one? The 2015 class.

Penn State hasn’t won a championship in forever and they only have one commit that isn’t at least a 4*.

This class isn’t terrible, but people need to stop acting like it’s acceptable. First it was “it’s only April, May, June, etc” then it was “wait until we show it on da field.” Or my favorite “2019 recruiting doesn’t matter right now.” Now y’all wanna parade around and laugh and giggle about the 2020 and 2021 classes. Can’t have it both ways. The excuses never stop.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Texas hasn’t done anything since what? 2005? Tom Herman didn’t have trouble with his bump class. A&M hasn’t won squat since the 40’s and they will likely finish with a top 5 class.

Oregon’s last championship was when? Yeah their facilities are great, but Cristobal is a great recruiter. They will have a top 10 class and got a consensus top 5 recruit in Kayvon Thibodeaux. Tennessee is going to sign a 5 star recruit. When was the last time we got one? The 2015 class.

Penn State hasn’t won a championship in forever and they only have one commit that isn’t at least a 4*.

This class isn’t terrible, but people need to stop acting like it’s acceptable. First it was “it’s only April, May, June, etc” then it was “wait until we show it on da field.” Or my favorite “2019 recruiting doesn’t matter right now.” Now y’all wanna parade around and laugh and giggle about the 2020 and 2021 classes. Can’t have it both ways. The excuses never stop.
All of the schools you mentioned are in significantly better situations than UF. Significantly. For one, all of those schools have administrators that care about the football program and it shows. Even Tennessee’s facilities blow ours out of the water.

The last 10 years are about as bad of mismanagement of a football program I could ever imagine. It’s almost like it was done on purpose, it was that bad.

If you want to call it an excuse, go for it. I’m not criticizing Mullen at this point.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
If you want to call it an excuse, go for it. I’m not criticizing Mullen at this point.

Yup. If we actually invest in the program and get it close to a competitive option and he fails then I'll be pissed.

Look at it this way. Imagine you had been selected to win an all expenses paid trip to a resort of your choosing - are you going to stay at Club Med or a Holiday Inn Express? There is not a team in our division that does not have way more to offer as far as standard of living for student athletes than we do. Even UK for crying out loud.

The era of kids staying home in large numbers because of loyalty to the school they grew up rooting for is more or less over. You still have kids that do it - but it is nowhere near the percentages it was in the 80's and 90's. The millenials and post-millenials are far more "experience" oriented. Other programs prepared for that and UF didn't.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Dude, safeties have been lining up on slots since the dawn of time.

As for Stewart and Davis? Who are they? All I saw out there was Stiner and Taylor, whiffing on tackles and usually not managing to stay in the same TV screen as any player running a deep route.

I noticed Davis was gaining PT later in the season. Maybe he was struggling with assignments early on?

Stewart had a suspension and 1-2 injuries that took him out of some games. Remember, he had a pick 6 vs lswho and an awesome leaping pick over the middle vs msu(?). When he’s been in the game, he’s done fairly well - maybe needs more consistency?

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
... Yes, we are a third tier, probably lower third tier, SEC school. And yet, the man is getting paid top six money to fix it.

Top six money means top results, not not the same Ole Quiverlips' excuses.

I understand you being too emotional to be rational after not filling all key needs on ESD, but to list UF as a "probably lower third tier SEC school" is melodramatic.

Even with the team from the "land of misfit toys" that was left to Mullen, he managed to coach the Gators into being the 3rd highest ranked SEC team in the final regular season CFP standings. And though he didn't fill several key defensive needs, if we had to field next year's team with the guys that he already has coming in and coming back, he'd have upgraded talent over 2018's team. And he still has time to upgrade in the defensive needs as well by NSD.

I don't think anyone is satisfied with where Gator football is right now, and particularly not this coaching staff. The facilities are long overdue for an upgrade, no doubt about that. But to think that the Gators are trending anything but upwards is letting your negative emotions overtake objective reasoning.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014

Traz, wanted your thoughts on Kimbrough. Read somewhere he looked better in camps than his 3* rating would indicate. Was that pumping or could he be a solid CB? If we can’t flip a 4* Safety, I’m hoping we get enough stud CBs to allow Dean to move to S.

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016
Obviously not related to anything UF but awesome nonetheless.....

But what was his star rating?

(seriously, though, I wish that hat was a different shade of orange and blue. The value a guy like this brings to a locker room is immeasurable.)

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Steele IS early enrolling.
Many CBs to us still. Perhaps he did sign. Still equals a teens class though, maybe 14th.

Maybe he can start recruiting for us after the announcement. He seems to be popular.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I’m hoping we get enough stud CBs to allow Dean to move to S.
I considered that a given, but I guess I dont understand the thought process that had Stiner and Taylor starting (or ever on the field) anyway.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
I considered that a given, but I guess I dont understand the thought process that had Stiner and Taylor starting (or ever on the field) anyway.

See my post #431. Doesn’t explain it all, but it’s my brief observations... along with the fact that mac’s DB classes dropped significantly from what chump brought in.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017

I believe it was due to a suspension of both Steward and Edwards (or whatever you want to call it - they were both out after rumors surfaced that Stewart was suspended for cutting class). Mullen didn't directly deny it - he just said he made those decisions not the internet. I suppose you could have put CGJ back there for one of the spots but you lost both starting CBs too and there wouldn't be an obvious choice to take his spot at STAR.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I believe it was due to a suspension of both Steward and Edwards (or whatever you want to call it - they were both out after rumors surfaced that Stewart was suspended for cutting class). Mullen didn't directly deny it - he just said he made those decisions not the internet. I suppose you could have put CGJ back there for one of the spots but you lost both starting CBs too and there wouldn't be an obvious choice to take his spot at STAR.

I think it was also because Stiner had two game clinching interceptions

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.