Recruiting 2019 NSD: 4* DE Khris Bogle and 4* CB Elam signs

CHAMPIONSHIP: If you were forced to have dinner with one of these members, who would you choose?

• Swamp Donkey

• Swamp Queen

• Durty South Swamp

• dubster1

• BNAG8R

Results are only viewable after voting.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Very little difference between this thread and the "convinced' thread.

One set of posters looking at the relative improvement versus another that is dead set on total potential.

Improvement tends to happen in increments, not in one fell swoop.

Although I agree with your point, I'd appreciate it if you'd leave your swell foop out of this.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
In general terms this is as good of a class as we could have hoped for during the football season. Most thought we would finish ranked 12-15 at best and many feared worse. Without context one might say this class 'isn't good enough,' but with the context of recent coaches and knowing how the recruiting class played out, this is as good as could be imagined.

We seem to have done very well in many positions and well in all positions except DL. We have one position that wasn't substantially improved.

I think this line of thinking is wrong - not because we don't need to be leading recruiting rankings to be the best on the field - but because it buys into a discrete, descending value of the classes. Even if these rankings took 'needs met' into account (which they don't), they still wouldn't accurately show this kind of 6 is better than 7, 7 is better than 8, etc. reality. In reality, this is more of a tiered situation.
Tier 1 - Bammer, UGA
Tier 2 - aTm, LSU, UF, Barn, 11esee,
Tier 3 - USCe, Miss, Ark, Miss State
Tier 4 - UK, MO
Tear 5 - Vandy

Realistically, I don't think we will know how this class stacks up against others in our tier (or outside of it for that matter) until they've played a few years. As of now, we could have the 3rd or 7th best class in the SEC. With the balance in the class and the Orange & Blue glasses upon my nose, I'm excited about the class.

tl;dr - You've got to look at these rankings in a tiered arrangement, not strictly discrete, descending value of the classes.

:chomp: :chomp:
This.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
While it absolutely pains me to agree with Swonkey....this is a good, not great, class. Where are we ranked in the SEC? 4th? 5th? To achieve our goals, we need to be 1 or 2...consistently. Top 5 nationally - consistently.

I am impressed and excited with the “recovery” of this class, and 8 or 9 is above my expectations, but 8s and 9s won’t get us to the promised land. This “8 or 9” however, together with an exciting 2019 season, will get us to where we need to be IMO. I’m on the Mullen train.

I need a shower now.
This is a fair post. I dont think anyone has said anything negative about Mullen. Great season. The next step is that one special class. That's ok. We're on the right track. Saying this aloud is not dumping. I hope the vag that is having issues accepting reality takes a xanax. You look silly. I'm pissing rainbows.

Mornengswede

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2017
Classes by blue chip percentage (rivals/247):

2005: 44% / 41%
2006: 78% / 75%
2007: 74% / 62%
2008: 73% / 73%
2009: 71% / 61%
2010: 78% / 79%
2011: 58% / 58%
2012: 59% / 70%
2013: 55% / 57%
2014: 54% / 38%
2015: 33% / 19%
2016: 40% / 36%
2017: 65% / 48%
2018: 78% / 65%
2019: 60% / 68%

Total blue chips (rivals/247)

2005: 8 / 7
2006: 21 / 18
2007: 20 / 18
2008: 16 / 16
2009: 12 / 11
2010: 21 / 22
2011: 11 / 11
2012: 13 / 16
2013: 16 / 16
2014: 13 / 9
2015: 7 / 4
2016: 10 / 9
2017: 15 / 11
2018: 14 / 13
2019: 15 / 17

Make of it what you will. I’ll only point out that Zook recruited better and left the program (and brand) in much better shape than Mac. Meyer took over a very different program in a very different league than Mullen.

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
You mean this cryptic tweet?

Probably regretting not taking Alabama's bags last year. He is a freshman and was injured for most of last season. Not sure what there is to complain about. He will definitely see more playing time next season.

LurkingGator

Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2016
A few NSD thoughts from a lurker:

I'm really happy with the class and the ranking, but not just because of the end result. There was a real problem with recruiting up until close to Early NSD. Most of that was a culmination of the a downhill slide the last ten years, but the current coaching staff was struggling to overcome it. But the fact that they were able to turn it means a lot. That was the one area where the jury was still out, but that seems to be fixed now. They made a breakthrough. It was too late to get a top tier class. The momentum has shifted, and on merit, not luck or false hope. Finally.

I keep reading that we can't compete with Bama and UGA without equally ranked recruiting classes. Maybe Bama because their coaching is solid, but we can beat UGA if we just don't have major deficiencies on the roster. We need to get back to winning the East first. Then the SEC, and then we are in the playoffs. Potentially, we are in the playoffs without even winning the East in some scenarios. Just getting back to that level of on the field success will get us back into the elite tier of recruiting. Perhaps even more so if the perception is that Mullen can coach guys up better than most of the competition.

If you look at 247Sports team composites, we out-kicked the coverage this year. We were ranked 12th in team talent. By comparison, UCSw was 4th, FSU was 5th and they sucked. They were both highly ranked the last few years. Clemson was 6th this year and won it all (possibly with some extra special vitamins). LSU, #7, beat #3 Georgia, and we beat #8 Michigan, and FSU and LSU, all ranked ahead of us. Counting back, Clemson has been #6, #9, #9 and #13 - and parlayed that into three national championship games and two titles. We need to get into the top tier of talent, because of we are in the toughest conference and can't coast through a cakewalk schedule to the playoffs, but coaching and development must count for something.

Things are looking up and I feel a lot better about the future of Gator football than I did three months ago. They improved and finished strong down the stretch and there is great momentum going into the off season.

Go Gators!

jaywalker72

Founding Member
Current Status: Dumper
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I am quite happy. The crosstabs on this class continues an excellent trend up under Dan, complete with high character cornerstone type recruits like Elam. This is not your slightly older brother's recruiting class.

However, the trend must continue way up for the franchise to get back to the excellence Spurrier/Meyer showed was possible here. It is looking good, so far, but closing a top class next year, along with the needed positional targets as Mullen mentioned, is what is needed to truly declare that we are back.

jaywalker72

Founding Member
Current Status: Dumper
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
On a more somber note, I think the Taggert ride will be over way too soon, much like the Butters era ended too soon for our rivals. This recruiting cycle continues the opposite trend as our trending under Mullen. No QB, guys splitting on their commitments, no real plan in place and a terrible product on the field. It has all come unraveled way too quickly.

We might need them to pull out some miracles next season (except for our game) to keep WT on board another season, but given his complete incompetence, a third year, from this vantage point with their games AND recruiting in the burning fire, seems very unlikely.

Alas, I will enjoy watching them flail about for one more year.

Musclepug

never go full retard
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2018
Copied from espn.....for what it's worth, they rated sow a b

i
Florida Gators

Grade: A | National rank: 9

Dan Mullen continues to reel in talented classes in Gainesville. The 2019 class will finish in the top 10 after the signing day flip of ESPN 300 edge rusher Khris Bogle from Alabama and the live ESPN announcement of Kaiir Elam to the Gators over Georgia. The QB in this class is ESPN 300 Jalon Jones, who could end up at receiver if quarterback doesn't work out. ESPN 300 DT Jaelin Humphries was a very nice win out of the Peach State, as were ESPN 300 OLB Mohamoud Diabate and four-star OLB Tyron Hopper. The signing of ESPN 300 CB Chris Steele out of California is a huge win over USC and Oregon. Flipping ESPN 300 OLB Diwun Black from Ole Miss was a nice win if he qualifies, as was signing four-star CB Jaydon Hill out of Alabama. ESPN 300 OT Will Harrod and OG Ethan White were key wins at need positions and are joined in the class by OT Wardrick Wilson and OG Riley Simonds out of Georgia. The faxes from ESPN 300 OT Michael Tarquin and OC Kingsley Eguakun from Miami ensure a terrific OL class. The Gators' domination at Lakeland (Florida) High continued in 2019, with ESPN 300 OG Deyavie Hammond, ESPN 300 TE Keon Zipperer and four-star DE Lloyd Summerall. Four-star WR Dionte Marks will bring more speed to Gainesville, as will four-star RB Nayquan Wright. ESPN 300 WR Arjei Henderson is committed but has yet to sign.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
On a more somber note, I think the Taggert ride will be over way too soon, much like the Butters era ended too soon for our rivals. This recruiting cycle continues the opposite trend as our trending under Mullen. No QB, guys splitting on their commitments, no real plan in place and a terrible product on the field. It has all come unraveled way too quickly.

We might need them to pull out some miracles next season (except for our game) to keep WT on board another season, but given his complete incompetence, a third year, from this vantage point with their games AND recruiting in the burning fire, seems very unlikely.

Do not despair. It is very, very difficult to find a great coach who is actually available and able to reverse the bad trends.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Im so cornfused. We read on here every single day that until we upgrade facilities and join the arms race, we will never again sign top classes. Then when we sign a very strong class but fail to sign a top class, I hear how the staff has to recruit better. So, if the staff recruits better we don't need to update facilities? If we update facilities does that mean the staff doesn't have to recruit better? So cornfusing..:confused:

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I am quite happy. The crosstabs on this class continues an excellent trend up under Dan, complete with high character cornerstone type recruits like Elam. This is not your slightly older brother's recruiting class.

However, the trend must continue way up for the franchise to get back to the excellence Spurrier/Meyer showed was possible here. It is looking good, so far, but closing a top class next year, along with the needed positional targets as Mullen mentioned, is what is needed to truly declare that we are back.

Exactly.

This class had been the one lagging piece in an otherwise stellar first 15 months. He pulled his D at midterms last August up to a B+ with a solid final at ESD and class project at NSD.

What we don’t see yet are those transformational players/leaders as obvious recruits or emerging on the field. Even after a top 10 finish and huge rise in production, no one on offense is an obvious star, All-American type. And Henderson is the only healthy one on defense returning. I love that the team is playing so well and together, though.

In Meyer’s year 2 (2006) it was Tebow, Harvin & Spikes - 3 5-star anchors that would be supplemented with a handful of others in that class plus the 2007 class. It will be fun/interesting to see who might emerge this spring & fall. The seeds are being shown right now in the weight and film rooms.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

This is a really difficult thing to project. He's going to be very expensive to fire even after next year, and it's difficult to know how much money they have. They already carry about twice our debt, but their boosters commingle money with the University. All I can go off of is that FSU fans in Tallahassee seem to think they don't have the cash to buyout WiLLLLLLLie and hire a good coach. So even if they do buy him out, it could make things worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.