2019 Quarterback Competition

Ray Finkle

Fallen Mod
Lifetime Member
Jul 28, 2014
Didn't take long to start the first offseason thread :headslap: Take some time to celebrate this one and what our guys accomplished. It's been a while and it feels good.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don't doubt EJ could be a great QB here, but he hasn't done a single thing in any meaningful game time to warrant a starting job next year. Some of you slapdicks were foaming at the mouth over Treon Harris when he threw a couple TD bombs against Eastern Michigan his first game. And are we really saying EJ is better because he pitched the ball on a designed play and it gained a lot of yards? I could find DOZENS of examples of that from Franks this year. :rolleyes3:
Not at all what anyone is saying. It's projecting what the two athletes may do in the spring and beyond based on results, on future promise and mixed in with a tad bit of speculation.

In college terms, from now until September is an eternity. So much can happen.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
We have no idea what kind of QB EJ will be, but after three years in the program, Franks still didn't see a wide open Toney right in front of him in the end zone today. Franks is what he is, a guy that routinely misses on open plays and occasionally makes a good play. EJ was a big time recruit that fits Dan's system. The upside is much higher with him. That's why I'm hoping EJ wins the job in the offseason.

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
I don't doubt EJ could be a great QB here, but he hasn't done a single thing in any meaningful game time to warrant a starting job next year. Some of you slapdicks were foaming at the mouth over Treon Harris when he threw a couple TD bombs against Eastern Michigan his first game. And are we really saying EJ is better because he pitched the ball on a designed play and it gained a lot of yards? I could find DOZENS of examples of that from Franks this year. :rolleyes3:

I would think the real competition will be between the two Jones's for #2, unless that remains Trask.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
EJ was a big time recruit that fits Dan's system. The upside is much higher with him.
This is certainly my take. We leave too many points on the field with Franks.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
I expected to see more EJ in this game, especially with all the time to prep for this game. What did he end up playing, like 4 plays when the game mattered? Spring ball will be very telling. Franks has definitely played better than I ever thought he could, it’s certainly nice not to cringe every time he throws the ball now. Lol. I give Franks credit for improving, but he needs a lot more improvement to lead us to a conference championship or greater. Just can’t see him doing it, maybe he’ll prove me wrong again.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
This will be a topic going forward...but right now...I am going to enjoy this win.

Go Gators!

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
But he frequently goes into the tank for a quarter or so. Inconsistency is his Achilles' heel.
never said he didn’t. he’s just been more consistent at playing better since the loss against Mizzu and his back was to the wall with the potential of Trask actually starting the next game.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Franks is serviceable at best. If EJ doesn't beat him out, that will tell us more about EJ than Franks. Franks is tough, but he doesn't see the field well and he's not very accurate. I don't see either of those things changing.

Very well said. This was a good win regardless of how many Michigan guys sat out or those that did not care. That is why I don;t care about the result. The Gators made plenty of mistakes regardless of the stats, but the physical effort was pretty much there, which is not easy in these bowl games. With that said you are correct about Franks. I think we missed a huge opportunity of not playing Jones a whole bunch today. I still do not think Cousin Eddie wants to play Franks b/c he is really not even a serviceable runner in the called power run game. As an overall QB he will not win you any games which is okay, but I think he can lose you games. which is not good. I know he missed 2 easy TD's today and that is b/c he decides before the huddle is broken. he can't decipher. Even on the throw late in the game over the middle to Hammond, he threw it to the wrong guy. he had a TD on a seam route but instead threw it to the only WR who was double covered. I know it was a great throw and complete, but it was the incorrect throw, regardless of result. I still think it is best for the future growth of the team if Franks departs and Jones gets the bulk of the work in the spring. do I think we can get to final 4 with Franks? No!. Do I think we can get to final 4 with Jones? Don;t know yet, but I know what Franks' ceiling is. I don;t know what Jones' ceiling is yet!

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Franks has made a lot of improvements since last year and even in the last two months. Many here thought he hit his cap last year and would lose the starting job by Oct. I don't know how much Franks has left before he reaches his potential, but I think it's still too soon to write him off.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
never said he didn’t. he’s just been more consistent at playing better since the loss against Mizzu and his back was to the wall with the potential of Trask actually starting the next game.
Totally agree. He came out with a physicality and determination against South Carolina that we'd not seen before. It was if he decided to put the team on his back. He's been a different player from a leadership standpoint ever since. That hasn't gone unnoticed with his teammates.

Part of the point of this thread is bringing to light what makes this offense click on all eight cylinders. That's not happening at the moment. I think we've got great potential. I want to see it fulfulled.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
I'm not ready to bail on the giraffe just yet. He's had one year of legit coaching. He did not come from a football program where he was developed and then, if anything, was put into a situation with coaches that didn't know what they were doing and stagnated. He showed some real promise at times this year - at other times he looked as lost as ever. There are some throws he made which guys playing in the NFL can't make. There were others that most high school QBs would know not to make. But the latter were GREATLY reduced this year from last year.

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016

You're comparing Emory Jones to Treon Harris?? Come on man! There's so many things wrong with that thought. Emory has more talent in his pinkie toe than Treon had in his tiny wanna-be-QB body.

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
This offense will be unstoppable with Emory Jones' running ability. Franks TD run was nice. But that will happen on a regular basis with EJ leading the offense. He's going to be an electric runner.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think he'll be a more electric passer. He's focused and comfortable in the pocket. Tremendous arm and release.

Mullen's offense can get just about anyone open running the ball. He's quick and elusive. He'll do just fine there.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
12-of-16, 124 yards, two TDs, no picks, a 181.9 rating. I can pretty much guarantee the playbook wasn't opened up either.
Dude seriously...there are tougher HS defenses than what EJ threw against in Idaho....Franks completed highly pressured 3rd down passes this season, more than what people want to give credit for and later in the season he learned that by being a willing runner he could make this offense click. Nothing against EJ though but he didn't throw a single pass in any pressure situation this year...none.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
A lot of "wish in one hand.." going on here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator