2019 Quarterback Competition

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not sure why thinking a player like EJ COULD give the offense a higher upside is considered bashing Franks. I'm not bashing Franks, just want to take the offense to the next level.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
You're comparing Emory Jones to Treon Harris?? Come on man! There's so many things wrong with that thought. Emory has more talent in his pinkie toe than Treon had in his tiny wanna-be-QB body.
I'm comparing people drooling over their results against scrubs and cupcakes. The point is, how well they do against Idaho and Eastern Michigan means jack sh*t.

BruceWayne

Dec 12, 2016
Dude seriously...there are tougher HS defenses than what EJ threw against in Idaho....Franks completed highly pressured 3rd down passes this season, more than what people want to give credit for and later in the season he learned that by being a willing runner he could make this offense click. Nothing against EJ though but he didn't throw a single pass in any pressure situation this year...none.

I don't think that means that he can't do it though. Just because he wasn't put in any pressure situations, doesn't mean he can't perform maybe even better than Franks in those situations.
And I really don't think he needs to add 20lbs. He's super quick at his weight now. He'll add some muscle with another year in the s&c program anyways.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Dude seriously...there are tougher HS defenses than what EJ threw against in Idaho....Franks completed highly pressured 3rd down passes this season, more than what people want to give credit for and later in the season he learned that by being a willing runner he could make this offense click. Nothing against EJ though but he didn't throw a single pass in any pressure situation this year...none.
C'mon, man, you're picking apart facts. He did what be could with what was handed him. He certainly didn't phuck it up. I'm not sure what you were expecting. This is part of the player maturation process. It takes time.

Are you doubting his potential? Yes, he probably needs 10-15 more pounds. I'm excited about the kid's future here. I think you should be, too.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
EJ has shown absolutely not a single play this year that’s says he will beat out Franks next year. Zero. Maybe he will.

I agree. I would add that he hasn't had much of a chance - due in part because...
he's a true freshman,
Mullen's obvious preference for Freshmen to sit and develop (and he's mostly right, I think),
Trask was a viable back-up to begin the year and was better able to run the offense, especially in the beginning of the season,
the new Redshirt rules set him up to get in some, but set a real barrier to exceeding limited time

I'm not saying EJ can't or won't surpass Franks (and Trask?) this offseason, but I agree that we haven't seen enough from him yet.

I hope and believe that Mullen is smart enough to bring in good possibilities - so you've got options - and then give them a fair shake and choose the one who gives you the best chance to win. ...without favoring the incumbent, the guy he recruited, the white guy, the black guy, the guy with the hottest mom or any other bad criterion.

Wouldn't it be great to believe that Mullen will choose the right guy - or at least have an honest process? That's what I'm going with. I can't wait to watch it unfold!

:stars: :chomp: :stars:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm comparing people drooling over their results against scrubs and cupcakes. The point is, how well they do against Idaho and Eastern Michigan means jack sh*t.
What they do in practice does. Mullen will make that call.

You seem defensive about the possibility of change. Why? Emory Jones is a Gator, too, isn't he?

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
It started this season in fall practice. While teammates were raving about his leadership, work ethic and film study (particularly the receivers) we were being told here that he was always dragging his ass behind everyone, isolated and alone, looking like shyt. Fake news. We were being told he was in California partying when he was actually at a QB camp. Fake news. We were told he nearly got jumped by his teammates in the locker room after a game and that he got thrown out of a bar for drunken behavior. All fake news. We were told he was a turnover machine yet threw only 6 picks against 24 TD’s (4:1 ratio). Fake news. We were told he couldn’t tote the rock yet he had key runs right up to the last game. Every single pass he attempted....complete or otherwise....was scrutinized and criticized. He was vilified here. Hated more than any Gator player ever. Not even just as a player but personally attacked on his intelligence and character.

Before the first game DM stated while he was our best bet he would not truly be ready for another full year. He is now a 10 win starting Qb. 4 more td passes and he will be #10 on our all time list. I believe with another spring, summer and fall he will indeed be much improved....yet again. He is becoming a very effective QB. Most Outstanding Player of the Peach Bowl no less.

That said...EJ is a special player with unique skills. If he beats out FF then he deserves it. But it will be no reflection on FF. At worst he would be the best backup QB in the SEC. His improvement, leadership, and work ethic has been established and cannot be stripped. The treatment this kid has endured is an embarrassment. Love his grit and commitment to keep grinding.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think he'll be a more electric passer. He's focused and comfortable in the pocket. Tremendous arm and release.

Mullen's offense can get just about anyone open running the ball. He's quick and elusive. He'll do just fine there.[/QUOTE]

You're talking about Franks here? :dunno:

:exactly:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Arm, yes. Release, no. His release is painfully slow due to his windup mechanics.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
While teammates were raving about his leadership, work ethic and film study (particularly the receivers) we were being told here that he was always dragging his ass behind everyone, isolated and alone, looking like shyt. Fake news. We were being told he was in California partying when he was actually at a QB camp. Fake news. We were told he nearly got jumped by his teammates in the locker room after a game and that he got thrown out of a bar for drunken behavior. All fake news.
How do you know all this is fake news? I think there was truth behind all of it.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Arm, yes. Release, no. His release is painfully slow due to his windup mechanics.

giphy.gif

:lol2:

I know everything needs to be extreme these days, but no, his release is not painfully slow. It's not as quick as some, but you're just looking for things to critique. I bet that for most throws, FF's velocity more than makes up for any increase in wind-up duration.

...just for reference, here's the highlights of today's game starting at a pass early in our second drive.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
C'mon, man, you're picking apart facts. He did what be could with what was handed him. He certainly didn't phuck it up. I'm not sure what you were expecting. This is part of the player maturation process. It takes time.

Are you doubting his potential? Yes, he probably needs 10-15 more pounds. I'm excited about the kid's future here. I think you should be, too.
You're damned right I'm excited about his future.....Do we need to throw FF out with the recyclables though? If FF makes the same improvements in the offseason as he did in the last 5 games I'll take that and his experience(he beat the #1 defense today)over POTENTIAL all day long...Remember Driskel's experience?.....I waited on that for 3 years....just sayin

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not sure why thinking a player like EJ COULD give the offense a higher upside is considered bashing Franks. I'm not bashing Franks, just want to take the offense to the next level.
Why can’t Franks get it there? He’s had exactly one year of any kind of coaching in college and was labeled a project when he got here.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
giphy.gif

2:

I know everything needs to be extreme these days, but no, his release is not painfully slow. It's not as quick as some, but you're just looking for things to critique. I bet that for most throws, FF's velocity more than makes up for any increase in wind-up duration.

...just for reference, here's the highlights of today's game starting at a pass early in our second drive.

Yeah, thanks. I think I'll pass on watching 36 minutes of game film. This isn't a new discussion, Euro. I hope the kid can overcome it. It's even more important at the next level.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
From the article aka shared in the Official Game Thread

2. Let the Franks hate go: Florida fans have been all over the redshirt sophomore quarterback during his first two seasons under center, but it's time to let that go. Franks isn't a superstar, but he's pretty darn good. His two touchdowns on Saturday brought him to 31 total scores on the season. That's four behind Gator legend Tim Tebow in 2009, who played in one more game than Franks. That's not to say that Franks should be compared to the 2007 Heisman Trophy winner and two-time national champion; anybody who does that should be immediately checked out by a team of doctors. But it does put into perspective what kind of season he had.

Franks has had the best season by a Florida quarterback this decade, and it's not even close. That's not a high bar, but to take in a new offense, deal with mounting pressure throughout the season and bookend it with a win over the stout Michigan defense is more than enough to endear him to Gator Nation.

Tay Bang

I might have been mean to Byrd
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2018
Very well said. This was a good win regardless of how many Michigan guys sat out or those that did not care. That is why I don;t care about the result. The Gators made plenty of mistakes regardless of the stats, but the physical effort was pretty much there, which is not easy in these bowl games. With that said you are correct about Franks. I think we missed a huge opportunity of not playing Jones a whole bunch today. I still do not think Cousin Eddie wants to play Franks b/c he is really not even a serviceable runner in the called power run game. As an overall QB he will not win you any games which is okay, but I think he can lose you games. which is not good. I know he missed 2 easy TD's today and that is b/c he decides before the huddle is broken. he can't decipher. Even on the throw late in the game over the middle to Hammond, he threw it to the wrong guy. he had a TD on a seam route but instead threw it to the only WR who was double covered. I know it was a great throw and complete, but it was the incorrect throw, regardless of result. I still think it is best for the future growth of the team if Franks departs and Jones gets the bulk of the work in the spring. do I think we can get to final 4 with Franks? No!. Do I think we can get to final 4 with Jones? Don;t know yet, but I know what Franks' ceiling is. I don;t know what Jones' ceiling is yet!

Lol, the “braintrust” is still throwing Franks out with the bath water after leading us to a New Years Six bowl win and a likely final 7 or 8 ranking. Even better, in favor of a completely unproven redshirt freshman.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You're damned right I'm excited about his future.....Do we need to throw FF out with the recyclables though? If FF makes the same improvements in the offseason as he did in the last 5 games I'll take that and his experience(he beat the #1 defense today)over POTENTIAL all day long...Remember Driskel's experience?.....I waited on that for 3 years....just sayin
Lol, threads here are like a game of telephone. In one way, out another.

I'm not against Franks. I love the kid. I simply feel Jones is a better talent and that he'll beat him out between now and our next game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.