Recruiting 2019 recruiting still Butterslike, #17 class

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Yeah, but Tinerc and Arkansas are powerful programs who haven't been dead for a decade like us. /sarcasm off

I don’t understand how Rivals’ ranking formula puts Ut ahead of UF. They have 1 less signee, 2 less 4* and a lower overall average rating. Arkansas has 27 and loaded up on 3*. If you go by average stars UF is higher than both. (And just behind Clempson.)

If this class finishes strong with some more physical DL and elite DB prospects it will upgrade the roster. Things are overall moving in the right direction, this recruiting class being the lagging piece so far.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The class could still be "acceptable" to me (key word ... me), if the above holes are met on NSD AND Mullen makes positive personnel changes to his recruiting dept AND acknowledges that this class is not acceptable to HIM.
Yes. I really said I didn't care what happened on the field this year but wanted to see an elite class. Obviously that isn't happening.

Next is address the recruiting problems.

The sand is rapidly flowing through the hour glass and these last two 2018 and 2019 Butters Part 2 classes only ensure we remain a third tier team for the next two to three years.

It has to change immediately if we expect different results next year.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I think what is happening in Bama and UG is an absolute joke. Recruits are not hiding it anymore with the fancy cars and the bag men. Wtf has Georgia done that gets them a top 2 class two years in a row. Fvvk they can field an entire team of 5 stars at this point.

I was reading an article just the past few months, and it actually rated our facilities higher than Georgia. No idea if that is true or not, but I am not buying this facilities crap.

Ranking the Top 25 facilities in college football for 2018

I am hoping Mullen is more of a Dabo than a Richt, recruiting quality QBs and doing more with teens in talent ranking. Dabo had a rocky start especially after the drop off in his first full year as a coach (or second year as a HC). I honestly think we will have a drop off in performance next year, and hopefully everything comes together in year 3.

Like OX, I enjoyed the past season and look forward to the bowl game and next season. I also think our recruiting class is slightly above what it is ranked now, mainly because OL are underrated, and Steele hopefully signed with the good guys but has not declared.
Hope you're right. Key point would be Mullen is more Dabo (a long term strategist). I'll tune back in in a few years and see how things turn out.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don’t understand how Rivals’ ranking formula puts Ut ahead of UF. They have 1 less signee, 2 less 4* and a lower overall average rating. Arkansas has 27 and loaded up on 3*. If you go by average stars UF is higher than both. (And just behind Clempson.)
Because they also rate each player by tier inside of the 3 stars and give points for those. It's why Chris McWilliams was a 5.7 or 3 star minus and Jawan Taylor was a 5.9 or 3 star plus. They also have some formula for position importance, ie a 4 star WR is more important than a 4 star fullback etc.

In the end though, it doesn't matter much. There is no appreciable difference between #13, #14, #17, #19 etc. It's all third tier.

It's also why I said it doesn't really matter if we are 3rd or 6th as long as we are close to the number of blue chip players the top teams get and we (especially) that we fill our needs. Obviously, we didn't land DTs/SDEs or safeties.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Hope you're right. Key point would be Mullen is more Dabo (a long term strategist). I'll tune back in in a few years and see how things turn out.
Every stars don't matter guy mentions Dabo.

Dabo isn't a strategist. He got clubbed by SOS for a long time. He just had a admin who wasn't going to lose and gave him what he needs.

They can get by with a few less, and have to because of SC being not exactly a football hotbed, but mostly he gets by bc he is in a powederpuff conference and was facing a coach who couldn't do anything without Rapeis.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
This is the third coach in a row that I hear Dabo's name thrown around when any criticism pops up. Comical and always the goto.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member

Dabo isn't a strategist. He got clubbed by SOS for a long time. He just had a admin who wasn't going to lose and gave him what he needs.

They can get by with a few less, and have to because of SC being not exactly a football hotbed, but mostly he gets by bc he is in a powederpuff conference and was facing a coach who couldn't do anything without Rapeis.
I didn't mean he was a game day strategist compared to Spurrier. Few are.

I'm talking about recruiting. Dabo (and his staff) slowly made in roads into NE Florida and eventually took over. I lived in NE Florida for 30 years. It was a Gator lock. It's hard to believe that Clemson, who hasn't been relevant since the year after Georgia won their MNC, has built a consistent top 5 program. Weak conference or not.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016

Exactly. Hell we could finish 10th and what would that end up being, like 6th best in the SEC? Any other conference your probably looking like a top 2 finish in conference. Just shows the ground Mullen and company need to make up.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
This is the third coach in a row that I hear Dabo's name thrown around when any criticism pops up. Comical and always the goto.
For the record... this is the first time I've used Dabos name. Also, I DON'T think Mullen is capable of pulling off what Dabo has. But I don't KNOW that he can't. Highly unlikely... but I don't KNOW.

I'm still a Gator fan and I still have some hope.

That being said ... this class sucks lemons.. so far.

NSD is still ahead, so is the opportunity for Mullen to acknowledge the mediocre early signing results and adjust his staff accordingly.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
I didn't mean he was a game day strategist compared to Spurrier. Few are.

I'm talking about recruiting. Dabo (and his staff) slowly made in roads into NE Florida and eventually took over. I lived in NE Florida for 30 years. It was a Gator lock. It's hard to believe that Clemson, who hasn't been relevant since the year after Georgia won their MNC, has built a consistent top 5 program. Weak conference or not.

Blows my mind why we have seemed to abandon North East Florida in recruiting. Your right, we use to own that area.

Malaka

Sep 6, 2018
Yawn. I'll ask again: what good would pissing and moaning and bashing the staff do right now? It wouldn't make me feel any better. I think I AM being a leader by not freaking out about something I have no control over. Whether Mullen will ever lead the Gators to a single title I don't know, but I do think he's at the very least the transitional coach this program desperately needed. I'm willing to give him more time giving what he inherited.

I have plenty of personal problems. The Gators actually gave me some joy this season for the first time in many years. I expect them, for the first time in many years, to actually give me some joy NEXT season, which is a warm feeling. I'm not worried about trophies being hoisted right now. It's going to take YEARS to dig out of this mess, especially with so many teams passing us by (both in brand and facilities).

It's like watching a toddler throw a temper tantrum only the toddler is smarter because they may actually get what they want. Completely futile waste of time and if there was anything remotely effected by the perpetual pissinig and moaning it is the media and recruits who read these forums.

Try to be bigger than the average toddler....

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
For the record... this is the first time I've used Dabos name. Also, I DON'T think Mullen is capable of pulling off what Dabo has. But I don't KNOW that he can't. Highly unlikely... but I don't KNOW.

I'm still a Gator fan and I still have some hope.

That being said ... this class sucks lemons.. so far.

NSD is still ahead, so is the opportunity for Mullen to acknowledge the mediocre early signing results and adjust his staff accordingly.

I'm not necessarily calling you out but man...it's the goto name for not firing someone after year 3 and when recruiting isn't up to snuff.

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
So is anyone talking about how Dwan Mathis flipped to Georgia without even visiting them?

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It's like watching a toddler throw a temper tantrum only the toddler is smarter because they may actually get what they want. Completely futile waste of time and if there was anything remotely effected by the perpetual pissinig and moaning it is the media and recruits who read these forums.

Try to be bigger than the average toddler....

Recruits don’t read the forums. Can we stop with this BS.

That being said, this class is only about 3/4 of the way done. I actually don’t think it’s that bad of a class with what we still have left. So far we haven’t had any WTF recruits. Which happened every year over the last 10 years.

We’ll see.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not necessarily calling you out but man...it's the goto name for not firing someone after year 3 and when recruiting isn't up to snuff.
Cool. Understood. I don't normally read or partake in conversations on message boards. Too many ways to get into pissing matches!

If I were the King of the World ... I would tell the booster to put up or shut up. I would write a check to Saban and tell him to come fix this ****. Fire everyone.

The whole athletic department personnel needs to be gutted.

Of course, I'm a football fan and could give a rats ass about the other sports. (BBall final 4 and baseball world series are ok...if I'm not busy).

And most important: BEAT THE LEGHUMPERS EVERY YEAR.

Otherwise, the year suck. Even an NC, with a loss to the boot lickers, is a failure. Victory can not be claimed.

Malaka

Sep 6, 2018
Recruits don’t read the forums. Can we stop with this BS.

That being said, this class is only about 3/4 of the way done. I actually don’t think it’s that bad of a class with what we still have left. So far we haven’t had any WTF recruits. Which happened every year over the last 10 years.

We’ll see.

Saying they make decisions based off posters is a bit much but I personally know recruits that read the boards. Silly to think there is some magical line that stops a kid from peeking at what people are saying about their schools of interest. The egos are huge so its not like they are going to get ran off by some anonymous keyboard commandos although some of the comments made about their families have been way out of line and enough to piss some off I imagine. Not necessarily on thia board.

Douchebags like bianchi certainly spin content from the boards into manufactured issues

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Saying they make decisions based off posters is a bit much but I personally know recruits that read the boards. Silly to think there is some magical line that stops a kid from peeking at what people are saying about their schools of interest. The egos are huge so its not like they are going to get ran off by some anonymous keyboard commandos although some of the comments made about their families have been way out of line and enough to piss some off I imagine. Not necessarily on thia board.

Douchebags like bianchi certainly spin content from the boards into manufactured issues

Twitter and Instagram are 100 times more toxic than this board.

SaltyGator

Make the Gators great again!
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2014
Man you guys are too damn worried about stars and rankings. Personally I don't give a rats a$$ if we have the #1 class as long as our coaching staff can actually develop players, something the last staff was completely inept at. If you can do that, you can turn 3* into 4* and 4* into 5*.

We're trending in the right direction, anyone who thinks Mullen should have a top 5 class in his second year given how crappy we've been since Urban left is nuts. It will take time, more than 1 year. He's made great strides with practically the same team that was an embarrassment last year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.