Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, this whole thing was Mike Davis/Marshall level stupid, but I guess some are going to desperate attempt to spin it.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We stand to lose 2 QBs after this spring, the loser of E. Jones and Franks battle and Trask. That's why you need to take 2 QBs or one and a transfer. You don't want to find yourself in FSU's shoes.

Why would EJ leave as a redshirt freshman because he lost to a junior who may very well end up leaving at the end of next year?

leogator

May 5, 2018
Why would EJ leave as a redshirt freshman because he lost to a junior who may very well end up leaving at the end of next year?
Because he does not want to sit another year and Jalon Jones is gaining on him? Maybe he's not making enough progress.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I’m not sure if AR has the skills to be a QB, But he is a fit at QB for our system. He is obviously incredibly raw. But that’s OK – if it takes two or three years to get him ready. We have two guys in the wings behind Franks who should be excellent QBs. This allows for a nice succession plan.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Because he does not want to sit another year and Jalon Jones is gaining on him? Maybe he's not making enough progress.

Where are you hearing any of this?

Everything that I’ve heard is that EJ is neck and neck with Franks. I haven’t heard anything about Jalen Jones gaining on him.

Probably the main reason Mullen would start Franks is because he has not turned the ball over and he can quasi run the offense. EJ could take over as a RS Soph and run the team for 2 years.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
it was just some asswipe on the internet talking. he admitted he had no inside information.

leogator

May 5, 2018
I’m not sure if AR has the skills to be a QB, But he is a fit at QB for our system. He is obviously incredibly raw. But that’s OK – if it takes two or three years to get him ready. We have two guys in the wings behind Franks who should be excellent QBs. This allows for a nice succession plan.
AR really needs work on his passing. I watched all 21+ minutes of his highlights. As far as I can tell from his highlights his receivers are fine. I would like to see the other 50% of his passes that did not make it. His OL was much better than the previous year when he was literally running for his life. He focused on his primary receiver and if he was covered he would take off. He will definitely need two years to be ready. I am thinking of him as slightly better than Franks with a much better set of wheels.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Where are you hearing any of this?

Everything that I’ve heard is that EJ is neck and neck with Franks. I haven’t heard anything about Jalen Jones gaining on him.

Probably the main reason Mullen would start Franks is because he has not turned the ball over and he can quasi run the offense. EJ could take over as a RS Soph and run the team for 2 years.
Neck and neck? I am sure that the giraffe has the longer neck.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
AR really needs work on his passing. I watched all 21+ minutes of his highlights. As far as I can tell from his highlights his receivers are fine. I would like to see the other 50% of his passes that did not make it. His OL was much better than the previous year when he was literally running for his life. He focused on his primary receiver and if he was covered he would take off. He will definitely need two years to be ready. I am thinking of him as slightly better than Franks with a much better set of wheels.

And I think that’s why they should try like hell to get him. Let’s say for a moment he doesn’t pan out - there are other positions you could easily slide him in at. And we’re continuing to take QBs every year anyway.

He’s a learn long-term project with high boom/bust potential. With his measurables he could be a hell of a wide receiver or TE if he doesn’t pan out. Like Cornelius Ingram.

leogator

May 5, 2018
"I didn't actually contact them the day that I did it beforehand, but I had been talking with Coach Johnson about doing it a month or two before I did it, because I just wanted to open up things," Richardson said. "I didn't do it then, but then I got in touch with him afterwards and he wanted to see where my head was and all that. He has been saying the same things as always, keep working hard and doing what I have been doing. Hopefully Florida will be my home."

This is from an interview:
Former QB commit remains interested in UF

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
I think we’ll see a heavy dose of both QBs against Miami. Franks has been in college what a year longer? And that extra year he learned jack squat and was even knocked down a peg or two. They have both been in the same system for one full season. Jones provides way more upside than Franks does. Unless jones just doesn’t have it or Franks has way more than we could ever imagine, I think jones takes the reigns after the 2nd or 3rd game.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think we’ll see a heavy dose of both QBs against Miami. Franks has been in college what a year longer? And that extra year he learned jack squat and was even knocked down a peg or two. They have both been in the same system for one full season. Jones provides way more upside than Franks does. Unless jones just doesn’t have it or Franks has way more than we could ever imagine, I think jones takes the reigns after the 2nd or 3rd game.
Frank's had 2 years under butters.

I agree but I thought Jones would take the job last year, too. I look at some of the quarterbacks Mullinz has had like Fitzgerald and wonder if Mullins will replace Franks having not replaced Fitzgerald, who is even worse than Franks.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017

Franks has absolutely stupid arm talent, but he had absolutely no development at all in high school or apparently under Butters either. Neither one of the Jones boys have shabby arms, but Franks is a cut above them in that respect. Certainly EJ is much more of a duel threat and should have the advantage in most other areas too - at least one would hope.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Honestly you dont need great arm to be a college QB. Some nfl qbs even have weak but accurate arms.

It is the internet forums that get hung up on big arms and tall.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
it was just some asswipe on the internet talking. he admitted he had no inside information.
It was Carson Beck’s QB coach. He also coaches FSU’s commit and is supposed to be taking on AR soon.

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
Franks has absolutely stupid arm talent, but he had absolutely no development at all in high school or apparently under Butters either. Neither one of the Jones boys have shabby arms, but Franks is a cut above them in that respect. Certainly EJ is much more of a duel threat and should have the advantage in most other areas too - at least one would hope.
Jemarcus Russell could throw the ball 100 yards on his knees but he was a Super shytty qb outside of a mildly decent jr year. Jones has way more to provide, its that simple. Even if he doesn’t have that zip his threat of running slows the d down a full beat from what Franks can do. Like I said unless he just utterly sucks And Franks is heisman level I can’t see Jones continuing to ride the pine. We have to also think about 2020 and 2021 and going into the brunt of the Mullen era with a guy who was never a starter isn’t ideal

leogator

May 5, 2018
Franks might've a strong arm but it's not an accurate arm. Nor is he good at the short and medium throws. He's often late in his passes or overthrows. His timing is just off. Not to mention that he does not process the field well. Is EJ better as a passing QB? That remains to be seen. Is he a better runner? We will also see. Just because he was a DT QB in HS does not necessarily make him a better runner in college. We will see what they do in the spring game and practices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.