Status
Not open for further replies.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I first saw this thread this morning, when it was already 7 pages long. I read a lot of it at lunch, when it was up to 13 pages. And now, when I finally have a chance to chime in I feel like everything's already been said. But, I do love GC and even though I don't have time to post as much as I'd like, I do check in daily for Gator news and definitely some entertainment value. And even though I was lukewarm at first on the hire, I'm getting more and more excited about Coach Napier. One thing's for sure: I'm already looking forward to next season. The last time I had so much anticipation was probably 2005. Go Gators!
u need to post more bro. good to 'sea' you.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Good post.
Looks like this guy runs a tightly organized ship. Hopefully he can generate the needed momentum and excitement for some crootin this cycle.
We had a decade of lazy coaching that wasted epic talent. A bit excited to see someone that pays attention to detail and isn’t fooking lazy take the helm.
I am a negative soul and our coaching hires have definitely fed into that. I try not to get neg on the kids. I did a truck load of stupid stuff at their age, and try to focus n the lazy adults not mentoring the players.

Hopefully the Fun n Gun part duex (and not douche) is on its way.

Maybe for next year’s fundraising, you could auction a Ban donk a donk button, good for X amount of usage throughout the year;)

And sister wives?

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
It doesn't matter if we were in worse shape prior to 1990 than we are today. Those late 80's teams were hammered by the NCAA. The recent teams have no such excuse and winning championships has become expected.

That is what I was saying to Ox. This program does not need to be burned to the ground. As Spurrier showed, even in 1990 after probation, gambling suspensions, bad seasons and with strong programs in state, UF's program did not need to be burned to the ground. Unfortunately, Napier is acting like he is taking over Vanderbilt.

Last edited:

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
I want every single member of Gatorchatter to make a post in this thread with their thoughts. No exceptions. Lurkers, pipe up.

This is somewhat long - anyone who responds with "TLDR" gets a ban.

I got to thinking about some things today after Swamp Donkey went nuts out the blue, called me names, and was banned for a week. Then I got an email from him basically saying we'd become Swamp Gas because of my insistence of the board being positive about this hire. He made me think, he often does. This thread isn't about Donkey, but I will say I don't know if he'll return or not.

We've always been known around the Gator Nation as the "negative" board, which I understand. Since Gatorchatter was launched in 2014, there really has been very little to be happy about. The brand has taken a complete dive, dropping UF out of the elite schools that annually challenge for titles. Hence, being negative hasn't bothered me, since we were just dealing with reality and the truth of the situation. However, Donkey made me think of something today, and that's this.

Some people are negative about the program because the program is bad, some people are negative about the program because they want to be negative. They actually enjoy the bashing and negativity. When something positive happens, they don't really like it. They get some kind of kick or power from wallowing in the mud.

While I certainly don't like blind pumperism, being "woe is me" on Gatorchatter for 7+ years now has really taken a toll. We've complained about a lot, and rightfully so. The garbage facilities, the constant cheap tactics from the administration (other than overpaying bad head coaches), their seeming to embrace mediocrity while other schools pass them by, it has really sucked. The product on the field has obviously also suffered as a result.

HOWEVER...

Everything seems to finally be changing. Mullen and his embarrassing group have been jettisoned. The Heavener Complex (which really is nice) is supposedly almost done. Stricklin has decided to throw money in places that we've been demanding for years. No matter what you think of Billy Napier's X's and O's, he certainly seems to have the right attitude about what needs to be done, starting with recruiting. We're going to have a lot more eyes on the team and our opponents. These are going to be a functional, prepared teams. There's a lot to be happy about.

Even after all this came to light, many members of this board were so beaten down (and I really do understand) that they couldn't help be miserable anyway. They hated the hire, they hated everything. It bugged me. It's like they were happier when they were upset, down and pissed. I feel like they would have hated almost any hire just out of reflex. This is the kind of thing I would like to see turn around on this board.

My draconian tactics to control the misery are over - I think I made whatever point I was going for. I'd like for each of you, as part of a 2022 resolution, to attempt to change your mindset about this program. We asked for things and we got them. It really is a new day and it feels like it.

Discuss.

I think there’s a lot of truth here. I think Napier is not the sexy hire, but possibly the right hire.

There’s a lot of equal and opposite reactions happening. On Twitter, it basically is Napier is the greatest coach of all-time and immune to any and all critique or you’re a bad fan/impatient/“trust the process”. I think that’s ludicrous. The super pumping naturally brings the opposite reaction. Hell, ATX called me skeptical because I’ve decided to not praise or Pan the hire until I see results and more importantly, want an OBJECTIVE way to judge. Not some “trust the process” and at some undefined point in the future we may compete and if, IF we are lucky win a SEC Title. That’s what was said until Muschamp/Mac/Mullen were fired and I’m not falling for it again.

I like the infrastructure additions. I like his winning record.

Nothing made me feel less motivated/confident about this hire than him announcing he’s calling plays. He got fired from Clemson, had a 60+ offense at Arizona State and is in the 60’s this year. The one dimensional (defined as the 80+ ranked passing offense) will get killed in the SEC as we’ve seen under several coaches. If his run game was revolutionary, I’d feel differently, but it’s not.

More than anything I am sick of basically seeing and hearing that Napier is perfect. That all recruits leaving are 100% terrible and he should let them go. That he is beyond any critique. That bs strawman about “you know there are other ways to win than passing”.

Then you have IAKOW, posting some beyond stupid poll question about going 3-9 if we get 9+ wins for the next 9 years. No, a losing season should get any coach at Florida fired, period. Also, if we don’t win a goddamn thing, than no it isn’t worth it. This poll just is a great example of the mindset I really hate that has come with this hire.

I want Napier to succeed, but the excuses this guy gets is infuriating so far. I’ll put money down that we here that in a few years he can’t be held responsible for having an awful transition class that set us back and yet, sending away 4* guys who wanted to be Gators was the best decision possible. Just like people STILL defend EJ over Corral to this day.

In short, I’m for being patient IF people give me an objective standard to judge. I’m sick of hearing how there is not a single fair critique and I’m a bad guy if I’m not on my knees at his altar right now.

Last edited:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Not gonna happen...Napier is squeaky clean.

That would be a plus. But like when we had Lon "the social worker" in basketball, being a decent human being is a condition for being a UF coach, but you have to win too. In football you must not get caught cheating by the NCAA, you also must run a decent offense or you will lose the fan base.

Listen I do not disagree that Pell did what he learned at U.A.L., but the NCAA was already on his program as he was leaving Clemson. He should have been able to build up UF without running afoul the NCAA.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
That would be a plus. But like when we had Lon "the social worker" in basketball, being a decent human being is a condition for being a UF coach, but you have to win too. In football you must not get caught cheating by the NCAA, you also must run a decent offense or you will lose the fan base.

Listen I do not disagree that Pell did what he learned at U.A.L., but the NCAA was already on his program as he was leaving Clemson. He should have been able to build up UF without running afoul the NCAA.

I'm not saying Pell did not have flaws...but he was so distraught after, it almost ruined the guy....attempted suicide. UF was Bush league before he brought them and the financial support up to standards.

Napier is not the second coming either. BUT ULL was the pits before he got there. He dominated Sun Belt Recruiting. They University loves him, the players loved him, the area loves him.

Did you listen to his Presser...he warned us...we knew kids would bail...they always do.

But he's done more recruiting in 3 days than has been done at UF in years.

Just RELAX...at least until 2022 is over.

Last edited:

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
I come here for the info and the Lol's, so keep em coming. It took me a long time to start posting here. You literally can't post anything without being ridiculed by Donkey and others. It can be a very hostile place for new posters. After a while, I got used to it and just post anyway.

Basically, I'm a sh!t-poster. I want to make people laugh. Sometimes the over-used mom jokes are boring....find some new humor already.

As much as I hated Donkey highjacking every thread, every day, I've grown used to him. But he does sometimes stifle discussion and discourages new posters/opinions. Having said that, I miss him already and can't believe he's gone, all because he outed Ox? I mean, it's the 21st century, it's okay to be white and gay.

Long Live Gator Chatter and its Fabulous Gay Dictator!
:oxslap:

Last edited:

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I come hear for some intellectual reading

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Or to see the GIFs people post. I love the entertainment and personalities. People get too caught up in the BS sometimes. It's a fun board.

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Well I lived through it and I don't want UF splashed with Pell type mud again.

That is what I was saying to Ox. This program does not need to be burned to the ground. As Spurrier showed, even in 1990 after probation, gambling suspensions, bad seasons and strong programs in state, UF's program did not need to be burned to the ground. Unfortunately, Napier is acting like he is taking over Vanderbilt.

We are currently closer to Vandy than we are bammer. Our record, and the current standing of our ‘brand’ reflects that.

And a lot of the reason Spurrier was able to take off so quickly with what he inherited in 1990 was because of the work done by Pell the decade prior to his arrival. Yes, we had probation issues, but the Gators had finally shown the potential that Bear Bryant said was always a concern for him. The fact that the dirtiest coaches in the SEC at the time ganged up on us in the commissioner’s office, further proves that point.

To be concerned about dirt and violations by Napier because he wants to rebuild the program, and link it to Pell is pretty absurd. There’s no evidence whatsoever for you to reasonably make that correlation. Napier has been praised for his integrity everywhere he’s ever been.

Besides, the main thing that used to get players and programs in trouble (booster $), is now essentially legal with NIL regs. If anything, I want Napier figuring out how to get advertising and marketing $ in the pockets of our players; because whichever coach has the greatest potential to do that in the future, will absolutely dominate recruiting. If you don’t believe me, just watch what happens at USC over the next few years. They’re currently setting that foundation by assigning incoming recruits to graduate PR students who build them publicity campaigns to shop to alumni, Hollywood, and Southern California business owners. All that sh!t they used to do is now legal, and they’re about to openly do it in the same way they did it privately with Bush, Leinart, etc.

The schools that figure out how to do this the quickest will leave others in the stone ages. If Napier learned anything at bammer, I hope he took notes on how them boys got paid.

Last edited:

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
1. I'm not saying Pell did not have flaws...but he was so distraught after it almost ruined the guy....attempt Ed suicide.

2. UF was Bush league before he brought them and the financial support up to standards.

3. Napier is not the second coming either. BUT ULL was the pits before he got there. He dominated Sun Belt Recruiting. They University loves him, the players loved him, the area loves him.

Did you listen to his Presser...he warned us...we knew kids would bail...they always do.

But he's done more recruiting in 3 days than has been done at UF in years.

Just RELAX...at least until 2022 is over.

1. I know Pell took some of the things that happened at UF really tough. I know the NCAA included charges of Alums giving kids lemonade to drink! I know in some sense UF made him the fall guy.

2. UF was NOT bush league before Pell got to UF. UF's program has been good since Ray Graves arrived in the early 1960s. UF had good teams most years. When Graves retired UF went out and hired the coach in Dickey who had won the last two SEC titles. Unfortunately for Dickey the counter culture of the late 60s and early 70s was stronger in Florida and at UF than other places in the SEC. Still Dickey has some good teams, but went away from UF's culture under Graves and so it did not work out as UF and UF fans hoped for a number of reasons. Pell certainly improved the fund raising and facilities at UF, but that is hardly making UF. Pell deserves credit for what he contributed at UF, but the negative is too big to over credit him.

3. Napier most certainly did not DOMINATE recruiting the the SBC. Part of the way to tell that is his team was second in total talent this year. Now sure he might be a good recruiter, so maybe he got the 3 star guys he wanted at UL, but all the SBC teams are pretty close in total talent and very close in average talent meaning total talent is mainly driven by number of players.

2021 College SBC Football Team Talent Composite

Also, I don't care what he warned who of in his presser. He is out there making his job harder when he does not need to. UF representatives made promises to kids who made promises in return. Some of the kids kept their promise despite this season. Now UF in the form of Napier are breaking those promises. When you feel you must break the word of your organization, you need to do it with finnesse. UF is well steeped in transition classes with 5 in the last 20 years. This is by far the most ham handed start we have had to a transition class.

As far as relaxing, I have had it. I was disappointed in the hires in 2002, 2011, 2015 and 2018, but I hope for the best and got behind the hires. As disappointing as those hires were, none of them including 2005 came in with the view he needed to burn the program to the ground and give us a Pell like 0-10-1 season. No one in the UF UAA seems to understand the culture of UF football. I guess when you have a Mississippi State AD you get a Mississippi State style UAA with all the class that implies.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
We are currently closer to Vandy than we are bammer. Our record, and the current standing of our ‘brand’ reflects that.

And a lot of the reason Spurrier was able to take off so quickly with what he inherited in 1990 was because of the work done by Pell the decade prior to his arrival. Yes, we had probation issues, but the Gators had finally shown the potential that Bear Bryant said was always a concern for him. The fact that the dirtiest coaches in the SEC at the time ganged up on us in the commissioner’s office, further proves that point.

To be concerned about dirt and violations by Napier because he wants to rebuild the program, and link it to Pell is pretty absurd. There’s no evidence whatsoever for you to reasonably make that correlation. Napier has been praised for his integrity everywhere he’s ever been.

Besides, the main thing that used to get players and programs in trouble (booster $), is now essentially legal with NIL regs. If anything, I want Napier figuring out how to get advertising and marketing $ in the pockets of our players; because whichever coach has the greatest potential to do that in the future, will absolutely dominate recruiting. If you don’t believe me, just watch what happens at USC over the next few years. They’re currently setting the foundation to assign incoming recruits graduate PR students to build publicity campaigns for them to shop to alumni, Hollywood, and Southern California business owners. All that sh!t they used to do is now legal, and they’re about to openly do it in the same way they did it privately with Bush, Leinart, etc.

The schools that figure out how to do this the quickest will leave others in the stone ages. If Napier learned anything at bammer, I hope he took notes on how them boys got paid.
This is where BN can get a jump into recruiting for 2023. The NIL program is where the resources need to spent NOW for the 2023 recruiting year.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Facilities were pretty bad during Graves. I was there under Pell. He changed The Boosters...brought in huge money.

How about this? Napier gets this program heading in the right direction in 2 years...if not lunch on me?

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think it is getting harder and harder for a football program to rebound nowadays. The system is set up for the rich to get richer. I lived in Gainesville for a few years, and I think it would be an awesome place to spend an athlete's college career.
However, if I was the best QB or tailback or WR or (you name it) recruit, and I wanted to get into the NFL in a few years, I would want to play for Alabama or Ohio State. The cycle feeds itself. They get the best recruits, and so they have the most success, and the most NFL draft picks. And the transfer portal has made it much worse. One of Alabama's best players this year, arguably the best WR in the country, transferred from Ohio State.
So the question is, how does Florida overcome this? I do not envy a new head coach coming in to a program that has had poor leadership, poor recruiting, and poor results lately. These recruits are young and they do not remember the glory days.
I guess the only way to overcome it is to be successful with 3 star players and start building the cycle of better recruiting. It will not be easy to beat Georgia and Alabama when they already have higher quality players.

Dan Mullen on line 1........

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
We’re changing our name to Charley Pell Chatter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.