2022 State of the Board: A new era for UF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avenger48c

No Longer Cautiously Optimistic
Lifetime Member
Aug 24, 2019
I'm cautiously optimistic on the Billy Napier hire. It's hard to be 100% on board when we've been burned before and I think it'll be a longer rebuild than we'd like when all is said and done, but so far so good.

Pros:
- He seems to have a commitment to winning and a drive to succeed that we've been missing. He's definitely not lazy.
- He seems like a program builder, which is something we need. Even if he doesn't work out, he'll probably leave it better than he found it.
- I think he's gotten the admin buy-in that none of our previous coaches was able to get. That's huge.
- I like the assistant coaches so far. He seems to have the wherewithal to assemble an all star cast, and if he succeeds in that it'll drive us forward.

The biggest con and the reason I'm not all in yet is intangible. He doesn't "feel" like a Florida coach, he feels like an Alabama coach/Sabanite. Here's what I mean:
- Spurrier and Meyer were each offensive innovators who weren't afraid to talk sh*t about our rivals. The kind of guys who could back up the talk and bulldoze their opponents year after year, driving them nuts in the process. I'm younger than a lot of guys on the board, but that's the image of a successful head football coach at UF that was imprinted in my mind as I grew up a fan of the team.
- Napier doesn't feel like that, he feels more like a Saban or Smart. Someone who is relatively restrained with the media and focused on process. Someone who plays sound fundamentals without pushing the envelope and bullies other teams with sheer raw talent which is competently but unexceptionally deployed.
- In his introductory presser, the overwhelming feeling he gave off to me at least was a guy who has a process that works and just wants somewhere that'll give him the resources to test it out on a grand scale. He didn't seem to care about the specifics or history of UF, just the resources we could bring to bear. It felt like broadly the same conference he'd have given if he'd gotten the LSU, USC, or Oklahoma job instead of ours.
- I want to win and the programs where a process like he's building has been implemented win a ton of games, I just worry about becoming just like everywhere else. We're not Alabama or Georgia, we're Florida, and I feel like we lose something intangible by following their model in lockstep. It feels like being assimilated into The Process.

I think Napier might very well win us a lot of games, and I'm excited for that. Maybe it's an acclamation process and I just need to get used to the new way of things here, to stop worrying and learn to love the bomb. He's probably the best hire we could've made this cycle, and there aren't any obvious Spurrier or Meyers out there.

TL;DR: We'll see, and I'm hopeful that the results live up to the potential.

EDIT TO ADD: Kinda focused the above on the hire because I think that's the crux of the state of UF Football, which drives the state of the board. I think GC is at its healthiest when there's room for disagreement and people can fight for their side.

After the LSU game last year, it pivoted extremely negative very quickly (wth good reason) from the relatively mixed perspective that existed before. The mixed perspective generated more interesting discussion, at least for me. I think trying intensely to pivot it to universal positivity is a mistake, it would be better to let the discussion proceed and see what comes of it organically.

Last edited:

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
I'll be honest... one of the reasons I don't come to this board as much anymore is because it is so negative.

Look... I get it, the program has been in shambles. The problem is people don't even try to look at the positive or even try to have a positive perspective.... the flip side of that is... they have been right... I support all coaches after a hire and want them to succeed so I take the positive approach until they give me a really good reason not to... I truly want them to succeed... so I supported Champ, Mac and Mullen way longer than I probably should have.

I'll do the same thing with Napier (although maybe he will be a good hire).

Bottom line is... if anytime somebody tries to even create a positive perspective it is absolutely shouted down and it is the same conversation day after day and year after year... where is the value?

It just got less enjoyable to be here because people seemed to want to be negative vs. even trying to take a positive and hopeful perspective.

Just my $.02 from a founding member who doesn't visit much anymore...

Hope you all are well.
Atx you are about half right, they are many Gators here that love and support the Gators in all kinds of weather. The problem lies with the 10 percent that is making 90 percent of the negative noise. Its acceptable here to get gang raped by the mob if you support your coach when things aren't going well, just look at the chit Napier is taking now, its unfuchen believable .
I often wonder how many of these fuchers are really Gators.

PS hope your well too

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I'll be honest... one of the reasons I don't come to this board as much anymore is because it is so negative.

Look... I get it, the program has been in shambles. The problem is people don't even try to look at the positive or even try to have a positive perspective.... the flip side of that is... they have been right... I support all coaches after a hire and want them to succeed so I take the positive approach until they give me a really good reason not to... I truly want them to succeed... so I supported Champ, Mac and Mullen way longer than I probably should have.

Bottom line is... if anytime somebody tries to even create a positive perspective it is absolutely shouted down and it is the same conversation day after day and year after year... where is the value?

It just got less enjoyable to be here because people seemed to want to be negative vs. even trying to take a positive and hopeful perspective.

Hope you all are well.
Comedy gold, Jerry.

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
I'm pretty jacked about this guy Napier, just something about him is different. Like he actually knows WTF he's doing? I've been a Gator forever - listening on the radio before these days of every (or any) Gator game on TV. Ready to see some real success and feel like it'll take a couple of years, but we may have finally found the car keys to get to some higher ground pretty quickly. All In on Coach Billy Napier!

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Atx you are about half right, they are many Gators here that love and support the Gators in all kinds of weather. The problem lies with the 10 percent that is making 90 percent of the negative noise. Its acceptable here to get gang raped by the mob if you support your coach when things aren't going well, just look at the chit Napier is taking now, its unfuchen believable .

PS hope your well too
Some of you take this board way to seriously.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member

PS hope your well too

This is a problem.

You’re complaining about getting attacked for being a pumper yet in the same breath you attack others for not being real Gators.

Guys like Swonk and Fire Foley love the Gators. You can question their judgment, their sanity, even their sexual orientation, but please don’t question their fanhood. To me, that’s more outta line than jokes about banging moms.

You don’t love the Gators any more than they do. Trust me on that. They bleed orange and blue, so do I, so does Coach (our favorite pumper) so does Cover2 (our voice of reason) so does Ox, and so does every single dumper here.

They hurt when the Gators lose. They aren’t satisfied with mediocrity or a managed decline to second-tier status. They desperately want us to return to prominence.

Where we differ is some real fans choose to support the current coach and administration until the bitter end while other real fans have a shorter leash. Either way, we all love the Gators.

Swonk can be insufferable, but he was right about Muschamp, MacElwain, and Mullen (and lots of bad assistants), and he was right about facilities and recruiting loooong before most of the rest of us figured it out.

You support this hire, so do I, but the things Napier is saying (with the exception of being his own OC) is exactly what Swonk has been saying for years.

Disagree with me all you want. Joke about my mom if it amuses you. But please don’t ever question my love for the Gators; and especially don’t do it if your position today is exactly what my position was last year or two years ago.

Alex.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
This is a problem...

Disagree with me all you want. Joke about my mom if it amuses you. But please don’t ever question my love for the Gators; and especially don’t do it if your position today is exactly what my position was last year or two years ago.

Alex.

What my esteemed colleague, Alex, here meant to say was simply this:

gatorsnob1.jpg

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

Hope you all are well.

Hope you all are well.

We miss you brother, we really do. We miss you.

Zodiac

Jul 19, 2016
I wish negativity wasn't allowed in real life. 95% of the world's population would be mutes.

As far as the Napier hire goes, I think we could have done better, but he's earned the opportunity to coach an elite program, so I can't really complain too much.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That would be a plus. But like when we had Lon "the social worker" in basketball, being a decent human being is a condition for being a UF coach, but you have to win too. In football you must not get caught cheating by the NCAA, you also must run a decent offense or you will lose the fan base.

Listen I do not disagree that Pell did what he learned at U.A.L., but the NCAA was already on his program as he was leaving Clemson. He should have been able to build up UF without running afoul the NCAA.
I don’t think Napier is a Pell but Mullen is closer to Doug Dickey. Spurrier’s poor situation was from Hall’s action but the support structure was from Pell’s.

Last edited:

Loogis

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
I want every single member of Gatorchatter to make a post in this thread with their thoughts.
My .02 cents, Ox.
- Love GC. I was a long time lurker on the old GSMB, and followed you and everyone else over here during the great GC diaspora. Became a member. I post as much as I can, but not nearly enough to be considered one of the regulars.
- The negativity is a bit much at times. If we were all hanging out in a sports bar or somewhere similar, some of the things posted would not be said in person, or I would bet a fist or two would be thrown. It’s the nature of social media, I suppose, but I’m ok with it. I will give my shot back if I can, but I typically ignore it. Some people are just d!cks.
- I also think those who are in a constant state of negativity with the Gator program can make good points, but it’s easier to be negative when you can say “I told you so” when things go sideways, and then be pleasantly surprised when a hire actually turns out to be a good one.
- I’m probably more on the pumper side of the spectrum, but it’s my nature to stay positive. False motivation is better than no motivation at times; however, I appreciate the leveling factor some bring to GC. I’ve never been to other boards, and I never will. I like it here, and I’ll ignore anyone who goes too far with it. It’s like what we used to say about Spurrier, “well, he’s our as$hole.” So, here’s to all you as$holes!

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I don’t think Napier is a Pell but Mullen is closer to Doug Dickey. Spurrier’s poor situation was from Hall’s action but the support structure was from Pell’s.

Exactly, Pell knew what it meant to build the infrastructure of a P5 power program, I hope his low level G5 building translates but it's a whole different animal.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member

Hope you all are well.
Perhaps you missed the part where I'm trying to turn over a new leaf, which was the entire point of this thread. Start posting again and be a part of it.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
After 17 pages it’s become obvious we all love sexy but that Mom is a better bet to bring home the bacon.

greengatah

Sep 1, 2018
I am always cautiously optimistic. The recruiting hole is deep. It will take a while to dig out. So i will wait and see. Not up, not down just observing and waiting. 2022 could be a long year. Hope not.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
The donk is and has always been all over the place and calls people names all the time. Giving him a week off wont change anything. Heck, you locked me out of a thread for saying you were so high on the hire that you might move in with him. You have been so protective of anything said against BN that it does remind me of how swamp gas is talked about. I wouldnt know because I have never been there.
:law: realizes he cannot stay away so like the coach in Hoosiers he tells the ref to throw him out of the game. This way he can finally do his important stuff and recharge his mad hatter, crazy uncle batteries.
I missed it. Was this a specific reaction to your sexual proclivities or a generalized one over football?
never underestimate the value of sexual proclivities no matter what they are. Consenting adults as always.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator