2022 State of the Board: A new era for UF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
And how is your comment responsive to me saying UF's program was worse of in 1990 compared to today?
It doesn't matter if we were in worse shape prior to 1990 than we are today. Those late 80's teams were hammered by the NCAA. The recent teams have no such excuse and winning championships has become expected.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Pell was a destroyer of UF, though he did build some facilities if those are more important to you than winning. Napier as another U.A.L. guy gutting the UF program is a good comp to me. Hopefully, Napier won't get UF's program on probation for years ala Pell.

Pell was doing what Bear and Woody had done for years. He made UF...He opened the door for SOS. Winning? 1984? We dominated. And put boatloads into the NFL. One of the best OL in Florida's history.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
How about a "Let's go Donkey" cheer!

I remember being on the outs with Trex because the guy NEVER said anything constructive no matter what happend and that crap got old but he was still a Gator. I wish he wouldnt have quit posting even though I gave him hell about it. Its alot like the donk situation.

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
Well, it's the end of the year and hopefully this thread will increase numbers so lurkers who aren't members will have to read more advertising!

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I’m a huge lurker. Mangino-sized (time spent lurking not actual lb’s). I started around the Chip Kelly to UF days and have lurked so much I should probably send in $ at some point. This board is my main source for Gator football, basketball and water polo news.

I rarely post, but only because I’m a mental midget with insecurities and spend too much time in a thread once I’ve contributed. For that, I’m sorry and I don’t deserve a participation trophy.

My thoughts on the negativity..…there’s a friggin “ignore button”??? Had no idea. Carry on *****ers.

Trash = offensive
Coach nicknames = meh
Mom jokes = timeless comedy

Someone mentioned UF is like GM in the 80's. I agree. And Billy Napier is our Jack Welch. LFG CBN!
Close enough, especially given that yesterday was the anniversary of the Germans bombing Pearl Harbor!

fischerwood

Wake me when we fix this mess
Sep 5, 2014
Pell was a destroyer of UF, though he did build some facilities if those are more important to you than winning. Napier as another U.A.L. guy gutting the UF program is a good comp to me. Hopefully, Napier won't get UF's program on probation for years ala Pell.
You my friend don't know WTF you are talking about...Go Gators...:jog:

Frozen Gator

Lifetime Member
Apr 26, 2016
Pell was doing what Bear and Woody had done for years. He made UF...He opened the door for SOS. Winning? 1984? We dominated. And put boatloads into the NFL. One of the best OL in Florida's history.
You can look right to Johnny Majors and Vince Dooley (Pat's cousin?) for the harshness of the penalties, loss of title and Sugar Bowl appearance. They did the same damn thing.

LaylaGator

Born to Hate Florida State
Lifetime Member
Feb 28, 2021
This is my first Gator message board, and I love it just the way it is. It's brutal at times, but that's what makes it fun. Also, I gain far more insight from reading this board than I do reading any sports column.

My history as LaylaGator began on the old CBS college football message boards around 2008, and then from there I went to a couple of other spin-off boards comprised of fans from all different teams. The last board I was at really deteriorated with Trump Derangement Syndrome, and it was no fun anymore.

I found you guys just in the nick of time, and I do intend to post more frequently as I continue to learn the flow, the sarcasm, and the personalities.

I'm extremely excited about BN's vision for our program, and I will be cautiously optimistic that it takes us back to the top.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
I think it is getting harder and harder for a football program to rebound nowadays. The system is set up for the rich to get richer. I lived in Gainesville for a few years, and I think it would be an awesome place to spend an athlete's college career.
However, if I was the best QB or tailback or WR or (you name it) recruit, and I wanted to get into the NFL in a few years, I would want to play for Alabama or Ohio State. The cycle feeds itself. They get the best recruits, and so they have the most success, and the most NFL draft picks. And the transfer portal has made it much worse. One of Alabama's best players this year, arguably the best WR in the country, transferred from Ohio State.
So the question is, how does Florida overcome this? I do not envy a new head coach coming in to a program that has had poor leadership, poor recruiting, and poor results lately. These recruits are young and they do not remember the glory days.
I guess the only way to overcome it is to be successful with 3 star players and start building the cycle of better recruiting. It will not be easy to beat Georgia and Alabama when they already have higher quality players.
I think there are enough 4 and 5 and even a few “high” 3 star players to go around, for the top ten schools in recruiting, year after year.

I think the composite shows only 34 Five stars currently, Nationwide.

Looks like The top 5 will get the majority with one or two sprinkled amongst the top ten.

Rivals has a top 250 list.

If you look at it as each school can sign A max 25 any given year, there are plenty of great players to go around, especially if we can get to top ten, then perennial top 5 in recruiting.

I think we can get there with Napier by year 3 at the latest.
Top 5 every year.

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
This is my first Gator message board, and I love it just the way it is. It's brutal at times, but that's what makes it fun. Also, I gain far more insight from reading this board than I do reading any sports column.

My history as LaylaGator began on the old CBS college football message boards around 2008, and then from there I went to a couple of other spin-off boards comprised of fans from all different teams. The last board I was at really deteriorated with Trump Derangement Syndrome, and it was no fun anymore.

I found you guys just in the nick of time, and I do intend to post more frequently as I continue to learn the flow, the sarcasm, and the personalities.

I'm extremely excited about BN's vision for our program, and I will be cautiously optimistic that it takes us back to the top.

Way too much measured reason... neglecting to include a 'yo mama' joke in this will probably get you a lot of dislikes, WTFs, and drunks. And if Donk were here, you'd definitely get a loony.

Last edited:

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
I think Ironheadsaid it best when he described this place as full of alpha males. It's true, we have a ton of military, veterans, pilots, contractors, lawyers, doctors, former coaches, and whatever the hell Ancient Reptile and Okeechobee Joe did during the Great Depression.

I was froggin’ your mom down on the bayou.

Last edited:

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
After having some time to get caught up on this thread (in all honestly, I'm not reading all that crap), I'd like to offer some advice to a few people my grandfather gave me when I was a kid. It has served me well over the years: "The opinions of people who don't matter... don't f*cking matter".

Ox, the fact that there are complete strangers scattered all over the world who come here and socialize after so many years, and have grown so close to each other that their feelings can be hurt, speaks volumes for how well you have skippered this ship. This place requires thick skin, and no one should apologize for it. If people can't take it, they should search elsewhere for a spot more comfortable. But, they'll most likely come back. Hell, I'm sure even that skinny jeans wearing b!tch Slevin wishes he were still here.

The only person who I have ever thought deserved to be banned was Alvin. There has never been a bigger POS troll on the internet. If he were a Gator, I'd give him a pass because he'd be one of us. However, he was a bUTtplunger, and there was no point keeping someone around who literally lived and breathed with the sole purpose to annoy the sh!t out of everyone here. Other than that guy, I've never cared about the words of those I didn't like (even Sas; who was a raging, bleeding, hemorrhoid of a human being).

I think @Ironhead said it best when he described this place as full of alpha males. It's true, we have a ton of military, veterans, pilots, contractors, lawyers, doctors, former coaches, and whatever the hell @Ancient Reptile and @Okeechobee Joe did during the Great Depression. We have a lot of opinions, and countless years of experience to draw upon. If people don't like what they read, they should wait a bit, because it's almost guaranteed that someone else will soon chime in with something better. And no one should worry too much about Law's words. He's harmless. Relentless, at times, but still harmless. Sure, he may need a vacation every now and then. But, we must always remember that the kids on the short bus need field trips, too.

And, honestly, where else are people gonna go? @soflagator is the funniest SOB on a keyboard, and there's only one @cover2, and he's ours.
Good post, believable…… except the part about SAS. There’s absolutely no redeeming qualities he possesses and it’s an insult to hemorrhoids everywhere by comparing him to them.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
1. Grow the fcuk up. All of you.

2. Love Swonk. Don't always agree with him though.

3. Napier--He's saying all the right things, everything we've been clamoring for, facilities, recruiting, staff and analysts, accountability, hard work, culture. Clearly, he gets it.

A guy like Spurrier who can make magic with Xs and Os, a guy who can consistently win big with less talent, is incredibly rare. Good luck finding one.

If he really is the organized, disciplined, hard-worker he claims to be, Napier will be successful here. Those kinds of guys run successful organizations whether it's 'Bama football, General Motors, or the 82nd Airborne.

My concern with Napier is him calling his own plays. I'd rather he played the CEO role (which seems to suit him perfectly) and hire an exciting OC. If his offense is pedestrian, then he'll either adapt like Saban and hire an exciting OC, or we'll show him the door in which case the next guy will inherit a good organization, good facilities, and a good talent pool.

I'm cautiously optimistic.

Alex.

Gator by the Sea

Lifetime Member
Mar 9, 2017
I first saw this thread this morning, when it was already 7 pages long. I read a lot of it at lunch, when it was up to 13 pages. And now, when I finally have a chance to chime in I feel like everything's already been said. But, I do love GC and even though I don't have time to post as much as I'd like, I do check in daily for Gator news and definitely some entertainment value. And even though I was lukewarm at first on the hire, I'm getting more and more excited about Coach Napier. One thing's for sure: I'm already looking forward to next season. The last time I had so much anticipation was probably 2005. Go Gators!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.