2023 Fall Training Camp: Mertz named starter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
The Pyburn hype makes him sound like Clay Matthews, who went from being a legacy walk-on at USC to NFL star: his size, relentless motor, ability to play DE or OLB etc.

Now do it.

Buddhakahuna

Sep 26, 2022
The frustration of last year was winning against Utah, then losing to Ky, almost losing to USF, battling along as expected and catching some momentum at A&M, destroying SC then collapsing with losses to Vandy and f$u. I won’t bother with the depleted bowl game squad.

Win or playing well in a loss vs. Utah, I’d like to see consistency and resilience, evidence the culture is different and that the roster is better in talent and effort. I think/hope things are different. Let’s see it manifested on the field.
The ebbs & flows of last year were annoying and prove hard on trying to establish an identity for a program. A first year coach thrust into the toughest conference in CFB. A quarterback given the keys to the offense who proved to be wildly inconsistent. Players who were feeling out the new coaching staff and either were buying in or transferring out.And in the midst of in season game planning laying the foundation for the recruitment & signing of the 2023 class. Napier is aware of the challenges of the seat he occupies & has hired a staff support him. Recruits are buying what he is selling and at this point in time so am I. This season I'm looking for a team identity & an improvement of in game decision making.

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017
The ebbs & flows of last year were annoying and prove hard on trying to establish an identity for a program. A first year coach thrust into the toughest conference in CFB. A quarterback given the keys to the offense who proved to be wildly inconsistent. Players who were feeling out the new coaching staff and either were buying in or transferring out.And in the midst of in season game planning laying the foundation for the recruitment & signing of the 2023 class. Napier is aware of the challenges of the seat he occupies & has hired a staff support him. Recruits are buying what he is selling and at this point in time so am I. This season I'm looking for a team identity & an improvement of in game decision making.
To his credit, Billy did try to warn us, after the Utah game we kinda just ignored his warnings

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
I refuse to get all hyped up for a new College football season, then get all smacked down and depressed by accepting a 4-8 season is coming.
Even before the season starts.

Yes, Utah game will tell us alot. I didn't expect to beat them last year but, I do expect to beat them this year.

I'm very optimistic, It's August.

This coaching staff has a lot to improve on both sides of the ball.
I swear, If I see our D Backs dropping 15 yards at the snap on a 3rd and 5, I'm going to lose my shiit.

So, in the first 10 minutes of the Utah game, we will all clearly see improvements, or not.

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017
Dont think we'll see much dropping with the 4.8 Safeties gone.
That said, If AA doesnt blitz Utah's QB (whether its the starter on 1 leg or the backup whos inexperienced) into submission ill be very disappointed.

Our front 7 will decide if we are a 6 win team or a 8 win team

Silverback Gator

Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
None yet. I think Napier will comment today.
So without Carrol, we are three deep at RB? I know staff tried to shore up RB but that is one position we are not deep. Hope Carrol's injury is minimal, temporary, and the care taken on field was precautionary.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Dont think we'll see much dropping with the 4.8 Safeties gone.
That said, If AA doesnt blitz Utah's QB (whether its the starter on 1 leg or the backup whos inexperienced) into submission ill be very disappointed.

Our front 7 will decide if we are a 6 win team or a 8 win team
I’d like to see sufficient pressure from 4. He’ll disguise who the 4th is much of the time, but I hope he doesn’t overuse bringing the house - and dammit get there when you do. When you don’t get there? That’s how 3rd & Grantham happens.

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017
I’d like to see sufficient pressure from 4. He’ll disguise who the 4th is much of the time, but I hope he doesn’t overuse bringing the house - and dammit get there when you do. When you don’t get there? That’s how 3rd & Grantham happens.
Ok, I may have worded that wrong, I dont want blitzing every down, mainly just sayin dont throw the kitchen sink at our offense in the SG then go to Utah and get scared.
For the first time in years, I feel good about our DL getting good pressure on their own

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
6. RBs were heavily targeted in the pass game.
I see this as good and bad. Could be them just running a base offense but don't think for a second that this will carry us through the season....see 2011 where fat ass had Brantley throwing left and right to the RB's through the first 4 games and then teams caught on....We need a consistent downfield passing game or the 3rd down offense will go to sh!t against the big boys.

I Have No Friends :(

Founding Member
Gator Bait! It's only racist to dumb Fuchs
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Just the way you.......nevermind :lol:
Sesame Street Player GIF by INTO ACTION

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users