Recruiting 2023 Recruiting Thread: 4* OT Caden Jones completes the class

Jack o' Diamonds

My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts...
Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2015
I havent watched any of Archie's film. Even if I did I wouldn't know what to look at. That being said, I think his ratings are heavily weighted with his name. I dont want him. I can't back it up with facts, but the guys a bum.
I'm sure he's had as good coaching as any high school kid ever... Just doesn't mean he has talent.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
i dont care if hes the second coming of jesu cristo... i cant stomach the idea of a manning forehead in a gator helmet. makes me want to puke.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I'm sure he's had as good coaching as any high school kid ever... Just doesn't mean he has talent.
In four tries during his time at Tennessee, Peyton Manning never beat Florida. That's one of the unfortunate facts of the future Hall of Fame quarterback's career that kept him from achieving his goal of a national championship with the Vols.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Florida schools hampered in the NIL payday competition | Whitley

Before we ponder the importance of male hand size, here’s a football riddle: How much cash can fit in the hands of a Texas A&M recruit?

The answer is unclear, though asking it might cause Jimbo Fisher to put his hands around your throat. What is clear is Florida schools can’t fully compete in the new recruiting world.

That’s due to the state’s NIL law, which has quickly become outdated. Some quick background:

NIL is the acronym for Name, Image and Line Your Pockets. After decades of having to buy recruits under the table, it became legal last year for players to get paid by outside sources. Sort of.

The NCAA was clueless as usual, so individual states enacted legislation. That’s made the new recruiting Wild West even wilder.

Florida can't compete on NIL, by law
In Florida, schools can’t directly facilitate deals between businesses and athletes. A bill has been filed to address that, but it hasn’t gotten any traction in the current legislative session.

“To a certain extent it’s like a race to the bottom in college sports,” House Speaker Chris Sprowls said. “How many sports cars can we put in the hands of 18-year-olds?”

As many as they want, Mr. Speaker.

I cringe writing that. We’ve all been conditioned to thinking paying recruits is crooked.

That’s one reason Fisher exploded over rumors Texas A&M spent about $25 million to buy its top-rated recruiting class. Ole Miss coach Lane Kiffin joked the SEC needs a salary cap to contain the Aggies.

“Clown acts!” Fisher said of the rumor-mongering rivals.

He said recruits are flocking to College Station because it’s home to a great school, a great football program and great chicken-fried steaks. Jimbo’s always been a great recruiter, but there’s no doubt NIL now figures into every sales pitch at every school.

How much is anyone’s guess, and that’s the problem.

“We need guidelines,” Florida coach Billy Napier said. “We need consistency across the board relative to what there is to offer.”

That will require the NCAA to quickly figure out rules that are equitable, sensible and don’t violate federal law. Please don’t hold your breath.

You can, however, write your local state representative and ask him or her to pass the NIL bill. Like it or not, paying players is here to stay. If it remains a Wild West, Florida schools will need all the ammo they can get.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I find it hard to believe the Manning kid could go anywhere but olemiss. That being said us landing the #1 overall recruit wouldn't make me mad at all or us having the pub on signing day. Can't imagine we're really in it anyhow.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
He'd probably troll us just for spite. He'd have to, he's a Manning.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This kid is probably our best shot at a high ranked QB in this class. Plays in Alabama and appears to have interest. FL doesn't have a high ranked QB, and GA's highest ranked doesn't appear to have any interest in us at the moment.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
This kid is probably our best shot at a high ranked QB in this class. Plays in Alabama and appears to have interest. FL doesn't have a high ranked QB, and GA's highest ranked doesn't appear to have any interest in us at the moment.

Kid looks like a stud. Hadn't seen there was any interest

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
The NCAA is the Hans Blix of oversight bodies. It’s almost embarrassing they still have an office and make business cards. There has never been a greater issue of concern than pay for play, dating all the way back to Smu. Drug tests can easily be skirted, and grades are a joke as well. It was always about the “purity” of amateur athletics, and when the Supreme Court pulled their pants down for the whole world to see, it dismissed any and all relevance they ever had. I’d love to see them come in all Barney Fife and try to clean things up at this point. It would be hilarious and sad at the same time.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
The NCAA is the Hans Blix of oversight bodies. It’s almost embarrassing they still have an office and make business cards. There has never been a greater issue of concern than pay for play, dating all the way back to Smu. Drug tests can easily be skirted, and grades are a joke as well. It was always about the “purity” of amateur athletics, and when the Supreme Court pulled their pants down for the whole world to see, it dismissed any and all relevance they ever had. I’d love to see them come in all Barney Fife and try to clean things up at this point. It would be hilarious and sad at the same time.

Hans Blix.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

He showed interest in us a year ago, when Trask was throwing the ball.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Try this gator fans: college football is dead. The admin is in the process of getting its wish. NIL makes the link between football and the university so slight and tenuous that schhools like UF will give up big time football. Within a decade we will have a Southern Ivy League of football.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator