Recruiting 2023 Recruiting Thread: 4* OT Caden Jones completes the class

ShelbyGator

Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Comments like "we're back" are definitely premature. While this year's haul is really good and our current coaching staff is doing a great job, it's the consistently great recruiting that will better determine if we are, indeed, back.

The use of the earlier graph helped to illustrate how we still have a long way to go.

I'd like to think that recruiting well simply correlates into great things but it does not do so in and of itself. Other things are needed like good recruiting, consistency in our coaching staff, the ups and downs of our competition and sometimes luck.

If you look at the four red lines, you'll see the high-water marks we've had in recruiting and I've annotated our W/L record for those years but also included the coach for that year and the W/L record for our team three years later. I did this hoping to find a correlation that a good haul, one year, brings us fame and fortune 3 years later...it does not, except for 2006 as that haul translated into 13-1, 9-4, 13-1 and 13-1. However, the other three high-water marks were meh.
View attachment 47366

View attachment 47367
This can't be right. I was always told what a great recruiter Ron Zook was.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Urban wasn't around to coach that 2010 group. I'd wager we might have seen a different result if not for Fooley.
Problem was Urbs was checked out. That’s probably where Dan learned it from. Nonetheless, at least CUM was willing to work on the recruiting trail and could close like a SOB!

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Problem was Urbs was checked out. That’s probably where Dan learned it from. Nonetheless, at least CUM was willing to work on the recruiting trail and could close like a SOB!
Except Urbs checked out after two Natty’s and a third SEC title game. Our last HC, however, never won anything before he checked out. Clearly he didn’t learn very well.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I got something else you can click on
giphy.webp

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
I think Penix making a splash in the portal was premature. He should have stood proud and strong right where he was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.