Recruiting 2023 Recruiting Thread: 4* OT Caden Jones completes the class

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
From what is out there on the recruiting sites (in front of the pay wall!), the following are guys we are allegedly still actively recruiting (with On3 consensus ranking):

DB Cormani McClain - Lakeland (#3)
DT James Smith - Montgomery, AL (#11)
Edge Qua Russaw - Montgomery, AL (#18)
Edge Samuel M'Pemba - IMG/St. Louis (#21)
WR Hykeem Williams - Fort Lauderdale (#22)
OT Zalance Heard - Monroe, LA (#52)
OT Monroe Freeling - Mount Pleasant, SC (#64)
DT Jordan Hall - Jacksonville (#88)
CB Dijon Johnson - Tampa (#98)
Edge Tomarrion Parker - Phenix City, AL (#120)
DL Zavion Hardy - Macon, GA (#146)
WR Daquayvious Sorey - Chipley (#258)
LB Jayvant Brown - Ft. Lauderdale (#270)
WR Traylon Ray - Tallahassee (#286)
DT Kayden McDonald - Suwanee, GA. (#328)
OT Caden Jones - New Orleans (#351)
S Bryce Thornton - Alpharetta, GA (#438)
WR Jaren Hamilton - Gainesville (#448)

Did I miss anybody?

While our chances are clearly better with some than others, who do you guys think we have the best chances with? My best guesses would be McClain, Johnson, Parker, Hardy, and Sorey seem to be the ones we have good shots with.

I only looked at uncommitted players and fully admit I've not heard much about who we have an opportunity at flipping other than Michael Mitchell, the RB from Middleburg who is committed to Utah. Anyone have solid intell on that front, or just even some good rumors?

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
Just read on tos that we are pushing hard for James Smith and Qua Russaw. So guess we aren't done on the DL. That would be pretty amazing if it happened and it sounds like they want to play together at the next level.

Peeling Smith (rated no 2 at DT) and Russaw (no 3 Edge) out from under Satan and grabbing McDonald (no 21 DT) off Kirby would be very nice. Now that DL recruiting is under the staff spotlight you can see them trying to get some steel back into the middle of the defense. Thank the gods.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018

Holy Hell Bern! You post a link to another Chatter page where GR8 2B said damn near the exact thing I already said...
"Winning a national championship in college football requires a lot of things. It takes coaching, luck, timing, scheduling, and yes, talent." //GR8 2B

Good job!

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
We have been going toe to toe with bummer and ugly for recruits and we have won our fair share. We have flipped highly rated kids from other top programs because we gave them the green light. We are in it for some really big fish to finish the class off. We have a solid class of all 4 stars (except 1 that might bounce soon), not a class with some top heavy with a bunch of 3 stars behind them. Over 90% of our commits are from Florida.

We are back muthafuggas and I don't really hesitate in saying it. Yeah, we are going to lose some battles for commits but thats kinda expected when you are recruiting against great teams that are already established. It isn't going to happen this season nor next...but its pretty dang obvious that this staff is bringing us back. The only thing we are probably going to be arguing about going forward is play calling.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
We have been going toe to toe with bummer and ugly for recruits and we have won our fair share. We have flipped highly rated kids from other top programs because we gave them the green light. We are in it for some really big fish to finish the class off. We have a solid class of all 4 stars (except 1 that might bounce soon), not a class with some top heavy with a bunch of 3 stars behind them. Over 90% of our commits are from Florida.

We are back muthafuggas and I don't really hesitate in saying it. Yeah, we are going to lose some battles for commits but thats kinda expected when you are recruiting against great teams that are already established. It isn't going to happen this season nor next...but its pretty dang obvious that this staff is bringing us back. The only thing we are probably going to be arguing about going forward is play calling.

I like your enthusiasm.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
I like your enthusiasm.
Lol...your rant about being 'back' stems from my comment that we are back because we won several recruiting battles for top players against bummer and ugly (see below). Dude...read a room. Did you think I was saying we are winning a natty this year or next? It was just a celebratory comment for muthafuggin beating bama and uga for recruitS they wanted. Class of 2010 was incredible. Where is the trophy they won?

Now...we gotta keep em committed until they sign and play good football. As far as the recruiting side, I think we are back. Its going to take a some time but being able to coach is what will truly get us back.

Last edited:

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Comments like "we're back" are definitely premature. While this year's haul is really good and our current coaching staff is doing a great job, it's the consistently great recruiting that will better determine if we are, indeed, back.

The use of the earlier graph helped to illustrate how we still have a long way to go.

I'd like to think that recruiting well simply correlates into great things but it does not do so in and of itself. Other things are needed like good recruiting, consistency in our coaching staff, the ups and downs of our competition and sometimes luck.

If you look at the four red lines, you'll see the high-water marks we've had in recruiting and I've annotated our W/L record for those years but also included the coach for that year and the W/L record for our team three years later. I did this hoping to find a correlation that a good haul, one year, brings us fame and fortune 3 years later...it does not, except for 2006 as that haul translated into 13-1, 9-4, 13-1 and 13-1. However, the other three high-water marks were meh.
View attachment 47366

View attachment 47367
Great stats and nice graph.

But all that tells me is when Urban Meyer was our coach we kicked ass. When he wasn’t…not so much.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
What makes you think I'm discussing your comment on "we're back"? I'm referring to @neteng saying it from post #5,201 even though I didn't tag him in it or do a reply. So if you said that too then it does apply to you.

So as to you saying we're back implies that we ARE back, ie now. And this year's recruiting ain't even over. I think we'll do even better but I cannot agree that we are back, even though I hope we are.

I maintain that consistency in recruiting will be a better indicator of us being back versus blind faith or being a pumper for just one year.
You dork. We beat out Bama and UGA for a recruit they actually wanted. When was the last time that freaking happened?

We're back. Head to Tallahassee to cheer for your Noles if you don't like it.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Great stats and nice graph.

But all that tells me is when Urban Meyer was our coach we kicked ass. When he wasn’t…not so much.
So, you're saying the Urban ratio is may be more important to winning than the Blue-Chip ratio?

:stirpot:

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Lol...your rant about being 'back' stems from my comment that we are back because we won several recruiting battles for top players against bummer and ugly (see below). Dude...read a room. Did you think I was saying we are winning a natty this year or next? It was just a celebratory comment for muthafuggin beating bama and uga for recruitS they wanted. Class of 2010 was incredible. Where is the trophy they won?

What good does it do to tell me to "read a room" when I can't even understand your phukking post?

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
You dork. We beat out Bama and UGA for a recruit. When was the last time that freaking happened?

We're back. Head to Tallahassee to cheer for your Noles if you don't like it.

Ok, I draw the line at that. Phukk you Mr. Miata.
Sad Happy Hour GIF

LaylaGator

Born to Hate Florida State
Lifetime Member
Feb 28, 2021
Auggie, your normal rationality just doesn't translate well in a room of euphoria. Go back to politics and stick it to Bammer for a while to get your mind right. XXXOOO

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator