Recruiting 2023 Recruiting Thread: 4* OT Caden Jones completes the class

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
What scum recruits think they're getting vs. what they actually get. They are being sold a culture that doesn't exist.

Attachments

• btzmzw6caaew4px.0.1498781765.0.jpg
    btzmzw6caaew4px.0.1498781765.0.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 57370-origin_1.jpg
    57370-origin_1.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 31

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Would you rather we fill the class with mediocre 3 stars like Mullen did? There are only so many five stars available.
Instead of taking no linebackers, one DT and no TE's when there's huge need there, yes I would. 3 stars are usually better than walk ons.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Instead of taking no linebackers, one DT and no TE's when there's huge need there, yes I would. 3 stars are usually better than walk ons.
I'm guessing there are lots of 3 stars in the portal if we implode and have to have warm bodies to fill the slots. Remember the abysmal stats where more than half the kids who enter the portal don't go anywhere? They'll still be there.

Right now I'm fine with swinging for the fences and getting our name out there as being serious about recruiting. Laying back and settling for leftovers before we have to is passive IMHO.

That does not mean I'm happy with Toney or Couch.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Let me get this straight; you'd rather not shoot our shot with elite players and instead take a bunch of low hanging three/four star guys that will never contribute? Look at our transfers, not a single one of them should have been offered a scholarship, the most impactful transfer that we lost was Hopper last year who joined his brother at Mizzou.
Ofcourse we should shoot our shot with elite talent. But at some point you have to throw in the towel expand your board . Find some guys to fill your roster needs that you feel like you can develop.
As far as transfers go, like 90 percent of power transfers do go to lesser schools to get playing time. Even some of the bama transfers are downgrading their situation. The guys that ball out in the group5 conferences that move up.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'm guessing there are lots of 3 stars in the portal if we implode and have to have warm bodies to fill the slots. Remember the abysmal stats where more than half the kids who enter the portal don't go anywhere? They'll still be there.

Right now I'm fine with swinging for the fences and getting out name out there as being serious about recruiting. Laying back and settling for leftovers before we have to is passive IMHO.

That does not mean I'm happy with Toney or Couch.
Here's the problem with that theory. Most players in the portal are in the portal because they are looking for immediate playing time. It's hard to keep the few linebackers we have left if we take a couple transfers that are gonna start over them. We'll still be short on players there.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Here's the problem with that theory. Most players in the portal are in the portal because they are looking for immediate playing time. It's hard to keep the few linebackers we have left if we take a couple transfers that are gonna start over them. We'll still be short on players there.
Wait... I thought you were in favor of taking transfers now to fill out the class rather than swinging and missing on blue chippers.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Why are we recruiting even recruiting these kids if they're " expected " to go elsewhere? If all these guys that we're missing on we're strongly favoring other schools why aren't we recruiting some guys that we can get? Rather than sitting here holding our dicks with only 21 commits? We drug Dan Mullen through the mud because a kid picked ucf over and now Napier gets a pass?
It’s only December. If he’s sitting at 21 commits in February, then we have a problem.

chferg

#CousinEddieTime
Aug 5, 2014
How is it misleading, we're ranked 5th in the conference. Talking about class average, number of recruits and all that bullshyt is misleading. It's like saying Ohio State should be ranked higher than TCU because they played less games but scored more points. Rankings are black and white, fuchers trying to make them grey so you can feel better about us getting our shyt pushed in on recruiting trail and football field by all our rivals is misleading.

We're not winning a damn thing until we out recruit who we play, this recruiting cycle just puts us another year behind in achieving that goal.

Since rankings are so black and white and don't mean anything, you should probably tell that to Tennessee who had the fourth ranked class in 2015 with an 89.48% Avg...they were so much better in the following years than the 7th ranked class of Ohio St who was ranked 7th with a 90.31% Avg.

Your recruiting average reflects the quality/amount of players you have. I know you're not the brightest and probably have trouble understanding it so let me put it in terms you might get.

30 three stars < 20 four stars even though the ranking of the team with 30 three stars will be higher than that of the other team. No teams have won titles with taking huge percentages of three stars regardless of what their ranking says. If you'd like to trade our class with higher ranked teams like UT or Miami that have 10+ 3 star filler, be my guest but Ill take the better quality than that.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
By signing day. That’s when we should judge him.
ESD or NSD?

Final verdict for the first full year should be NSD since most of the Portal will be picked up by then too.

ESD will certainly weigh heavy though. I'm disappointed with it.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I feel like we have an adult in charge for the first time in years. I like strategic organizational management and leadership. I’d like to see a close with 2-3 solid surprises and 2-3 solid portal guys.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Because he's being an anti-Gator, asshat troll right now for reasons I still don't understand. I'm guessing he's getting some kind of personal kick out of it, but I don't recall him ever acting this way before. Many Gator fans are simply broken.

Most are not though. We are simply not willing to hold the current coach to a completely different standard then we’ve held the last two as SOBs, just because we like him more. Keyword, completely. Everyone understands there are certain challenges. But if anyone had suggested a top 10 to 15 finish, or 6-6, they would’ve been mocked here. As I’ve said, still hopeful that we can pull out a strong finish, but I refuse to move goal posts.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Why are we recruiting even recruiting these kids if they're " expected " to go elsewhere? If all these guys that we're missing on we're strongly favoring other schools why aren't we recruiting some guys that we can get? Rather than sitting here holding our dicks with only 21 commits? We drug Dan Mullen through the mud because a kid picked ucf over and now Napier gets a pass?
Future Portal?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Most are not though. We are simply not willing to hold the current coach to a completely different standard then we’ve held the last two as SOBs, just because we like him more. Keyword, completely. Everyone understands there are certain challenges. But if anyone had suggested a top 10 to 15 finish, or 6-6, they would’ve been mocked here. As I’ve said, still hopeful that we can pull out a strong finish, but I refuse to move goal posts.
If this classed finished #131, my opinion would not change.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
It's year 1.

Suprise Wow GIF by ANTIQUES ROADSHOW | PBS

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads