Recruiting 2023 Recruiting Thread: 4* OT Caden Jones completes the class

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Comparing the 2010 class (on paper) to the 2023 class (on paper)?

I hate how "journalists" use headlines.

2010 class:..............2023 class:
#1 in the country....# 12 in the country
28 commits ............20 commits
6 three stars............2 three stars
22 "blue chips"........18 "blue chips:
-----‐----------------------
3 DL # 1 at position plus ... 0 at #1
4 @ #2 position plus ..........0 at #2
11 @ Top 10 position .........4 @ Top 10

2010 had 18 in the Top 10 for thier positions.

2023 has 4.

2023 is a decent class (on paper). Solid Dline and WRs. Need LB, TE, more DL and OL.

Still is too small and has holes in it (that can/will be filled at NSD and with the portal).

But it should not be compared to 2010s class in any way, shape or form.

Ronald Powell, Dominique Easley, Shari's Floyed on the D line. Freaks.
“On paper” indeed. The class that precipitated our fall. The 2010 class came in entitled and arrogant. Powell remains our #1 all time recruit - what a joke - and 5* Josh Shaw and Chris Dunkley?

Sure, Easley and Floyd were great players, but after high 4* Matt Elam and 4* Leon Orr, the only other player worth a flip was 3* Trey Burton.

2010 is behind only 2000 as the most overrated class at UF.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
“On paper” indeed. The class that precipitated our fall. The 2010 class came in entitled and arrogant. Powell remains our #1 all time recruit - what a joke - and 5* Josh Shaw and Chris Dunkley?

Sure, Easley and Floyd were great players, but after high 4* Matt Elam and 4* Leon Orr, the only other player worth a flip was 3* Trey Burton.

That's why I emphasized "on paper". :lol:

I think Muschamp may have contributed to it too. (the start of falling... since it continues)

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Yes - a downward spiral…
fire cash GIF

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018

I eliminate Orr from the list because he got butt hurt and quit. Watkins tho was a solid player who had a decent NFL career.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I eliminate Orr from the list because he got butt hurt and quit. Watkins tho was a solid player who had a decent NFL career.
Losing our tackles of Watkins and Trautwien in ‘08 was way more influential to the 2009 offense than losing Dan at OC or Percy as a wr/rb to EE.
The replacements at OT’s were an inept combination of Patchan and Gilbert. Tebow suffered a concussion due to a Patchan missed block while up about 28 points at UK.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Really like this kid (Harris) out of IMG and most importantly that we are getting kids from there. Need a lot more. Hope it keeps and thought this was funny jab at Mullen.

1672405067469.jpeg

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
Really like this kid (Harris) out of IMG and most importantly that we are getting kids from there. Need a lot more. Hope it keeps and thought this was funny jab at Mullen.

View attachment 52970
I look at this a little differently. To me this just shows that extreme Gator fan negativity IS SEEN by recruits and it CAN EFFECT their outlook on the program. If a recruit visits this board do you think they are going to want to play here? Twitter is even worse. Gator fans have got to pull this shyt together and quit bitching and moaning every chance they get. IT ISNT HELPING AND DOESNT CHANGE A THING FOR THE BETTER.

Discussion about successes and failures and concerns are of course welcome on a message board, but I for one believe the constant belly aching can’t be helping with talent acquisition.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
I look at this a little differently. To me this just shows that extreme Gator fan negativity IS SEEN by recruits and it CAN EFFECT their outlook on the program. If a recruit visits this board do you think they are going to want to play here? Twitter is even worse. Gator fans have got to pull this shyt together and quit bitching and moaning every chance they get. IT ISNT HELPING AND DOESNT CHANGE A THING FOR THE BETTER.

Discussion about successes and failures and concerns are of course welcome on a message board, but I for one believe the constant belly aching can’t be helping with talent acquisition.
I agree with you to a certain extent, but a quick look at recent UF recruiting history in general and specifically at IMG makes this guy look like he became a Gator "fan" yesterday (in fact, he might be a rival taking shots at UF). That has got to be one of the most lazy and ignorant comparisons I've seen in years. Sure, Billy still got a lot to prove, but his recruiting effort so far has outperformed dan by a mile.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
I agree with you to a certain extent, but a quick look at recent UF recruiting history in general and specifically at IMG makes this guy look like he became a Gator "fan" yesterday (in fact, he might be a rival taking shots at UF). That has got to be one of the most lazy and ignorant comparisons I've seen in years. Sure, Billy still got a lot to prove, but his recruiting effort so far has outperformed dan by a mile.
I've got a different take on CBN's recruiting efforts. I think he (and his staff) are the best recruiters we have ever had at Florida. I know some of you think SOS or Urban might be but they didn't have to overcome the brand degradation of three successive failures at head coach. When SOS got to Florida, it was a winning program with talent to build on. When Urban got to Florida we still had a national reputation as a winning program and the cupboard wasn't bare. Both coaches had something to sell to recruits. Now, CBN is trying to sell "the future" to recruits that want instant notoriety. The "future" seems to be one season or "I'm outa here." And he is doing it. We have the best class of incoming freshmen we have had since Urban. And those that are bitching about being 12th, I would stand on the 3rd ranking in average stars. Even more so with the transfer portal crap.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
I've got a different take on CBN's recruiting efforts. I think he (and his staff) are the best recruiters we have ever had at Florida. I know some of you think SOS or Urban might be but they didn't have to overcome the brand degradation of three successive failures at head coach. When SOS got to Florida, it was a winning program with talent to build on. When Urban got to Florida we still had a national reputation as a winning program and the cupboard wasn't bare. Both coaches had something to sell to recruits. Now, CBN is trying to sell "the future" to recruits that want instant notoriety. The "future" seems to be one season or "I'm outa here." And he is doing it. We have the best class of incoming freshmen we have had since Urban. And those that are bitching about being 12th, I would stand on the 3rd ranking in average stars. Even more so with the transfer portal crap.

Agreed. I’d like to see a few more 5️ commits who are real game changers, but having an overwhelming shift from 3️ fillers to 4️s is a great start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator