Recruiting 2023 Recruiting Thread: 4* OT Caden Jones completes the class

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I like Will Miles and listen to his weekly stint when he is on Gators Breakdown. But this one left me scratching my head a bit. He talked about it on the podcast as well. Prior to signing day he has always been that UF had to get to around that 92. mark and then increase it year over year from here on out. And they did that this year. We are currently #12 @92.01 player avg. Yes we have more 4* than 3's and that trend is continuing. He also is mentioning top 100, 200 etc players which that hasn't as much. Although our avg player rating is increasing he's focusing on the overall class. Have to say it this time he seems to be digging into the data that he wants to. I can pick player avg, you can pick top 100, and so on. While these all factor into the mix, I really feel that UF is increasing it's overall player quality. Look when we lost JR, we really did not drop a significant amount (92.16 . 92.01) due to the "overall" rating of the "entire group". Now with that said, CBN has still a lot of work to do. But I can't sit here and say that he hasn't done better than Dypshyt Dan in recruiting. Dan didn't do Shyt. Would settle on 3's, lazy as hell, and think his coaching would overcome the talent gaps. Although Will has some supportive data, I think he's missing the mark on the overall picture.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I like Will Miles and listen to his weekly stint when he is on Gators Breakdown. But this one left me scratching my head a bit. He talked about it on the podcast as well. Prior to signing day he has always been that UF had to get to around that 92. mark and then increase it year over year from here on out. And they did that this year. We are currently #12 @92.01 player avg. Yes we have more 4* than 3's and that trend is continuing. He also is mentioning top 100, 200 etc players which that hasn't as much. Although our avg player rating is increasing he's focusing on the overall class. Have to say it this time he seems to be digging into the data that he wants to. I can pick player avg, you can pick top 100, and so on. While these all factor into the mix, I really feel that UF is increasing it's overall player quality. Look when we lost JR, we really did not drop a significant amount (92.16 . 92.01) due to the "overall" rating of the "entire group". Now with that said, CBN has still a lot of work to do. But I can't sit here and say that he hasn't done better than Dypshyt Dan in recruiting. Dan didn't do Shyt. Would settle on 3's, lazy as hell, and think his coaching would overcome the talent gaps. Although Will has some supportive data, I think he's missing the mark on the overall picture.
I think the issue Miles is addressing is that it takes a handful of elite players to excel, which while possible is very rare. And if you’re going to be consistently in that top 4-5 you’ve got to pull in guys from the highest pool of recruits because you are much more likely to find those elite players among them.

Billy has definitely raised the level and I like that so many are early enrollees. Retention should be better. Maybe his evaluation and development processes will have this 2023 class achieving more than expected. But we’ll need terrors to emerge at DE and WR as well as dependable DTs. A return to good on the way to great will be welcomed.

The early commitments in the 2024 class are trending toward what we need. We need to fill that class out and do that every year. And we need to do that by dominating our state first.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
I think the issue Miles is addressing is that it takes a handful of elite players to excel, which while possible is very rare. And if you’re going to be consistently in that top 4-5 you’ve got to pull in guys from the highest pool of recruits because you are much more likely to find those elite players among them.

Billy has definitely raised the level and I like that so many are early enrollees. Retention should be better. Maybe his evaluation and development processes will have this 2023 class achieving more than expected. But we’ll need terrors to emerge at DE and WR as well as dependable DTs. A return to good on the way to great will be welcomed.

The early commitments in the 2024 class are trending toward what we need. We need to fill that class out and do that every year. And we need to do that by dominating our state first.
Totally agree, but Miles is stating (or at least implying) that according to hard data Billy's recruits are no better than dan's. I think recruiting has significantly improved overall, but it's a fair statement to say we need to start bringing in the elite players who make the difference between good/great seasons and championships (let's hope Lagway is that type of QB). Lots of work left to do, but let's not act like we haven't moved the needle. Maybe Miles has been conditioned to fight against the Gator pumping from drooley, andreu, etc, idk.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member

Totally agree, but Miles is stating (or at least implying) that according to hard data Billy's recruits are no better than dan's. I think recruiting has significantly improved overall, but it's a fair statement to say we need to start bringing in the elite players who make the difference between good/great seasons and championships (let's hope Lagway is that type of QB). Lots of work left to do, but let's not act like we haven't moved the needle. Maybe Miles has been conditioned to fight against the Gator pumping from drooley, andreu, etc, idk.

Totally agree with you both. I think he can be hung up on the statistical numbers sometime a bit much. One thing he did hit on and it was very quick and not discussed much at all. Most of Mullen's elite 3's and occasional 4*s never made it to campus or on the field. In fact one of his classes that I believe was ranked #9 winded up in the mid 30's. But while the statistical number may be close, Napier, THUS FAR, has a higher player/talent avg and getting those kids to show up far better than Mullet. That is a good improvement alone in itself. But as we all state, lots more to do, more elites to get, and translate it to the field.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
You know I agree with some of this. The fact that mullen wasn't competing with a dickhead in Miami that was willing to spend millions to tank Florida's recruiting class, should carry some weight. Even though Napier has a bigger army of recruiters and nicer facilities. But I think his point he was trying to make was that from an analytical standpoint, we haven't really made any progress. Doesn't mean we've gotten worse or can't get better. Just that we haven't taken the big step forward, talent wise yet.
Also between Mac & Mullen we lost our talent-rich state. UGA, Bama and OSU have been snagging the best Florida players. I’m happy to see the facilities, residential and other upgrades as well as the proper staffing but we need results.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
I really can't stand this BS with these 18YO primma donnas and the 110% committed BUT gonna go up to UGA for a fun weekend and another swag bag oh goodies. Just stop it! You are committed when both parties sign the NLI and the kid arrives and registers. The rest is smoke and mirrors.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I really can't stand this BS with these 18YO primma donnas and the 110% committed BUT gonna go up to UGA for a fun weekend and another swag bag oh goodies. Just stop it! You are committed when both parties sign the NLI and the kid arrives and registers. The rest is smoke and mirrors.
He said that he’s 100% committed to us but he’s not shutting down communication with Georgia. He said that Georgia literally talks to him every day or two.

This means that his commitment is not 100% IMO. I would consider him not committed. I would go back and consider him a lean to us only.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Wrong. An analysis that omits significant data and relevant information is a faulty analysis that results in erroneous conclusions.
excited breaking bad GIF

GatorKen714

May 24, 2018
To get the in state top talent don't lose to Vandy and Kentucky, be competitive vs. the dawgs. Be a winner and we'll recruit the top talent without buying it. Which leads me to another call of BS on Nick Saban and kicking a kid off the team because he wanted $500k and his girlfriend to get a free ride to Bama's law school to stay. Well it's easy to be high and sanctimonious when you've got one of the top teams. He's a douche'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator