85 roster spots, only 36 can play in SECCG

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Holy hell....how is that even possible? That's almost dangerous to the players.

How many do we have on the roster? (I assume the difference are all injured?)

Let me guess, Alabama is bringing exactly 85?

It seems like the 25 scholarship limit restriction should be lifted and give a team the ability to field some minimum roster amount, like the NFL.

Who do I call about this?

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
We have 13 players leaving early or graduating after this season. So...subtract 13 from 58 and we'll have a total of 45 players (if nobody transfers) who will see the field next year. Even if we sign a full class (in feb) we'll still only have 70 players and that's still 15 under the limit. Man...how in the hell did Foley let this happen. I knew it was bad but had no clue we we're in this shape. No damn wonder everyone is hurt...they can't even rest in practice because of depth.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Not only is it 28, it can be much, much higher if we have attrition in the program which means we can roll scholarships back. That's the reason you see Alabama typically in the high 20s low 30s in their scholarships every year. Because they get rid of deadweight and replace it with productive players.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Let me guess, Alabama is bringing exactly 85?
The 25 limit hasn't limited us at all. Butters and Crew are the ones who haven't signed the max amount.

Trailerbammer will bring 85, you bet, actually probably 100 plus. Remember they have 3 star walkons also.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Not only is it 28, it can be much, much higher if we have attrition in the program which means we can roll scholarships back. That's the reason you see Alabama typically in the high 20s low 30s in their scholarships every year. Because they get rid of deadweight and replace it with productive players.
I was trying to give him a simplified Nav version.

Fishon

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
It never ceases to amaze me what you marys get your knickers in a twist over. You're fretting like a bunch of housewives from the 30's who spotted a mouse

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It never ceases to amaze me what you marys get your knickers in a twist over. You're fretting like a bunch of housewives from the 30's who spotted a mouse
3qafhk.jpg

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Could it perhaps, just perhaps be that ppl are just completely fed up with how every darn problem this football team has is someone else's fault other than the staff. I mean every dang problem. For some on here there is literally nothing that Mac and co are actually responsible for.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

Dude, you should have just said, "I trust the coaches". This is a stupid, stupid, stupid post. Thanks though...

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The real question is what was our roster in Dec 2014, and what is it now.... That is on McElwain... Do people believe we would be at full strength if his 2016 class was the 32 (approx.) that we could sign? I believe a number of people on here, especially those following recruiting saying Muschamp left us in such a rut that it would take the next coach 3 years to complete the roster. Next year, 60% (5 year recruiting cycle including RS) of the roster will be due to McElwains recruiting and at best it looks like we will be around 70 out of 85 players, and that fully falls on this staff.

McElwain and his staff has under performed as recruiters there is no excuse for the lack of OL/DT/LB recruiting under him last year, and what appears to be the case this year.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
We have 13 players leaving early or graduating after this season. So...subtract 13 from 58 and we'll have a total of 45 players (if nobody transfers) who will see the field next year. Even if we sign a full class (in feb) we'll still only have 70 players and that's still 15 under the limit. Man...how in the hell did Foley let this happen. I knew it was bad but had no clue we we're in this shape. No damn wonder everyone is hurt...they can't even rest in practice because of depth.

We signed 4 JUCO's last year (including Eddy). We only have 1 JUCO committed this year. We should be bringing in at least 3 again this year. Not sure why we're not pursing that route, even if they are only marginal contributors what would it hurt. We don't need 40 freshman, we need to even the classes out a bit so signing a few JUCO's would make sense. Also, any graduate transfer w/ a heartbeat should be accepted (for a position of need). I'd gladly take a 5th year senior DT from Idaho State if he's 6'2 310lbs and can play 10 snaps a game. Why not? This staff is failing in everyway possible.

And again, 2 (or 3 years) from now, when McElwain is long gone on his ranch in Montana spending that "Florida money" our next coach is royally screwed.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
My God, can you imagine how monumental of an upset it would be if we won? It would be like the 1980 USA/Russia hockey game. :lol:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Has Mac even increased the number of recruited players on our roster the past 2 years? I wonder what the number of recruited players was when he became the coach compared to the number now.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
The real question is what was our roster in Dec 2014, and what is it now.... That is on McElwain... Do people believe we would be at full strength if his 2016 class was the 32 (approx.) that we could sign? I believe a number of people on here, especially those following recruiting saying Muschamp left us in such a rut that it would take the next coach 3 years to complete the roster. Next year, 60% (5 year recruiting cycle including RS) of the roster will be due to McElwains recruiting and at best it looks like we will be around 70 out of 85 players, and that fully falls on this staff.

McElwain and his staff has under performed as recruiters there is no excuse for the lack of OL/DT/LB recruiting under him last year, and what appears to be the case this year.

Yep, he failed w/ his 2nd class (first full cycle). He even said he wanted to sign a big class and ended up w/ 24 (and that was after Putu was added late). He should have signed at least 2 DT's, but got ZERO. No TE's. Only 3 OLs. Signed a 2-star QB. Etc.

If he was willing to take a 2-star QB why wasn't he willing to take a 2-star DT? He could have easily grabbed Houston Baptist's DT commits (or FAU's or Troy's or UCF's or Kentucky's....or at least you'd think a DT committed to one of those lesser football schools would have loved to be the ONLY DT in our class last year). But NO, he didn't sign a single DT. Unbelievable!

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
My God, can you imagine how monumental of an upset it would be if we won? It would be like the 1980 USA/Russia hockey game. :lol:
It's truly the only reason I'm going. If the impossible happens I'd never forgive myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.