85 roster spots, only 36 can play in SECCG

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
but those guys would be true freshman and not the guys you want contributing right now. The reality is that Muschamp really left us in a bad position
ATX, when muschamp left the defense was basically full, it was the offense that had major holes. Right now the majority of the depth problem we have is on the defensive side of the ball, not the offensive side although its still not good. That's not on muschamp; he left us good on that side of the ball and is exactly why our defense has remained top 10. From the moment mac showed up defensive recruiting has nosedived and is completely in the ditch right now. Our situation is about 30% on muschamp at this point, the other 70% is squarely on the current regime.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Mac left more players that will never contribute than Muschamp did that's why we suck right now
This, in all likelihood, would be a true statement at that point... and around and around we go. WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
It's truly the only reason I'm going. If the impossible happens I'd never forgive myself.

I'll bet you can find something better to do with your time after the first quarter ends.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
ATX, when muschamp left the defense was basically full, it was the offense that had major holes. Right now the majority of the depth problem we have is on the defensive side of the ball, not the offensive side although its still not good. That's not on muschamp; he left us good on that side of the ball and is exactly why our defense has remained top 10. From the moment mac showed up defensive recruiting has nosedived and is completely in the ditch right now. Our situation is about 30% on muschamp at this point, the other 70% is squarely on the current regime.

I disagree. Muschamp definitely left us with defensive talent, but also a lot of holes. He didn't have any commits when he was fired which made it much harder for Mac to have a good first class. Either way.. where are the redshirt sophomores and the juniors that would have been from Muschamps last class. Do you see any junior LBs on the roster? Part of the depth on defense is still on Muschamp.

You mentioned that the offense being bad has contributed to injuries on D. I don't doubt that, but the offense is very very young because of the lack of talent Muschamp brought in. The lack of OL, not having QB depth, no RBs and no WR or TE talent. Mac is having to rebuild the offense from essentially nothing. So while it is frustrating to watch, I can understand the offense not being great.

I will say the lack of recruiting is a HUGE issue. I am very frustrated with Mac and staff regarding how poorly they are recruiting. I have said this before and I'll reiterate... there is absolutely no excuse for not being in the top 10 last year or this year (which he won't be without any huge surprises).

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
They both a$$ in my opinion...I believe it's well known also
I wasn't saying your a Mac fan I was just pointing it out. I don't think anyone on this board is a "Mac" fan but some will always stick behind their coach even when it's not deserved

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I wasn't saying your a Mac fan I was just pointing it out. I don't think anyone on this board is a "Mac" fan but some will always stick behind their coach even when it's not deserved

There is a difference between blaming him for things that he has control over, and blaming him for every bit of the state of the program. You tend to do the later, and Marianna is doing the former. Mac deserves blame for the things in his control, the lack of RS Sophomores/Junior and Senior depth due to not recruiting positions isn't on Mac. The fact the last class under recruited DT, OL, and LB is completely on Mac. That's the difference.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014

Mostly true, but most coaches leave behind more than 2 LBs.

gatorkev85

Nov 24, 2015
There is a difference between blaming him for things that he has control over, and blaming him for every bit of the state of the program. You tend to do the later, and Marianna is doing the former. Mac deserves blame for the things in his control, the lack of RS Sophomores/Junior and Senior depth due to not recruiting positions isn't on Mac. The fact the last class under recruited DT, OL, and LB is completely on Mac. That's the difference.
Mac deserves a lot of blame for the state of the program. Yes Muschamp left the program in a bad state when it comes to depth on offense but Mac has created the same issues on the defensive side of the ball. Mac has also put together a terrible staff overall which is his fault as well. Mac is the one who clearly does not see that his staff is not preforming the last 2 years and is doing nothing about it to this day. Mac is the one who did not make a change during the Arkansas game to create a spark, Mac is the one that seems to not make in game adjustments, Mac is the one who has had almost a full season and has yet to develop one of the freshman enough that he feels the need to go and recruit a Qb transfer. So when you look at the full picture most of the blame at this moment deserves to go to Mac and not Muschamp.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Mac deserves a lot of blame for the state of the program. Yes Muschamp left the program in a bad state when it comes to depth on offense but Mac has created the same issues on the defensive side of the ball. Mac has also put together a terrible staff overall which is his fault as well. Mac is the one who clearly does not see that his staff is not preforming the last 2 years and is doing nothing about it to this day. Mac is the one who did not make a change during the Arkansas game to create a spark, Mac is the one that seems to not make in game adjustments, Mac is the one who has had almost a full season and has yet to develop one of the freshman enough that he feels the need to go and recruit a Qb transfer. So when you look at the full picture most of the blame at this moment deserves to go to Mac and not Muschamp.

Again, where you answer someones post without reading it. You post as if McElwain is at fault for the last 6 years. Not the last 2. McElwain has a lot of blame, including his staff, in game management, and the last two recruiting classes. No one is saying any difference, which you have argued against for odd reasons. He was dealt a $hit hand and has marginally made that hand better, which is also something he is failing at. The fact that he is recruiting more qbs, is actually a positive. The last a$$hole who was our coach recruited 2 (if you count treon) blue chip quarterbacks in 4 years. I prefer you continue to try to gather talent, do you think Saban wouldn't recruit more qbs even if he had one on the roster. Unfortunitely has I stated above he has done a $hit job at recruiting talent at some major positions, and that is on him.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Mostly true, but most coaches leave behind more than 2 LBs.
That's why I said 70/30... not completely blaming Mac, but at 2 full years in, this is his job now and its his mess to deal with. If you cant handle the mess then don't take the job.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I keep reading comments about how many here don't blame Mac or the Staff for anything and I think BS!

If I read 20 post about how bad we are, 19 of them place the blame squarely on the Coaches! If anyone dares to try to interject any reason other than that, they are attacked by the vocal neGators. And then you wonder why many people don't want to post here....... unbelievable!

Saying the same negative crap 20/30 times doesn't make it any truer....... It's true... we suck, the Head Coach sucks, the assistant Coaches suck, the trainers suck, the Fan's suck, the facilities suck, our former AD sucks, our current AD will suck as soon as we can get to that, our QB's suck, our OL sucks, our DB's suck, our recruits all suck, our uniforms suck, play calling sucks, the student section sucks, traffic on 75 sucks, parking at the stadium sucks, afternoon games in Sept. suck, having to play LSU in BR sucks, losing the coin toss sucks, deferring to the 2nd half sucks, 0 for 13 on 3rd down sucks, gsmb sucks, Gainesville Sun sucks, Pat Dooley sucks, Diet Pepsi sucks, $7.00 hot dogs suck, the SEC East sucks, having to play Bama sucks, losing to FSU sucks, losing to GA Southern really sucks, having no depth sucks, having to play 240lb DE's sucks, having to play 220lb LB's sucks ....................

I'm tired and the passion has burnt off, just like sex these days, only took 5 min...

The excuse that we are Fans and have a right to be pissed off, rings hollow to me. I'm a fan and I'm unhappy but I don't have a right to anything from UF football. I buy my tickets and gear and I want to be entertained, distracted from the rigors of the World and sometimes it's good but often it's not but it's my choice who I choose to support.

All suckage aside, I Love my University and will be buried in Gator Gear just like my son was....

Last edited:

chuckmcphail

Lifetime Member
Sep 21, 2016
Again, where you answer someones post without reading it. You post as if McElwain is at fault for the last 6 years. Not the last 2. McElwain has a lot of blame, including his staff, in game management, and the last two recruiting classes. No one is saying any difference, which you have argued against for odd reasons. He was dealt a $hit hand and has marginally made that hand better, which is also something he is failing at. The fact that he is recruiting more qbs, is actually a positive. The last a$$hole who was our coach recruited 2 (if you count treon) blue chip quarterbacks in 4 years. I prefer you continue to try to gather talent, do you think Saban wouldn't recruit more qbs even if he had one on the roster. Unfortunitely has I stated above he has done a $hit job at recruiting talent at some major positions, and that is on him.
Ok ok ok..... so we hire mac for his offensive guruness.... in at want point in what game were you like, wow that was pertty kewl what we just did offense...don't worry I'll wait.....

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
I was offered free tickets and declined. I'm about 30 minutes from the dome, but no way I want to watch us get slaughtered...again.

I plan on watching my grass grow. Stop by. It's quite exhilarating, comparatively speaking...

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator