Adrian Peterson indicted in Texas for spanking son

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ said:
I got hit all the time. I've never hit my kids. My kids are great, do well in school, and treat others with respect. I have no issues with behavior in my household. There were several instances when they were young where they were very difficult to handle, but I never resorted to hitting them and they've turned out great. Hitting your kids is pathetic. People who justify inflicting pain and violence on their kids or spouse sicken me.
You're damn right I am. Would you kick your dog? Why would you HIT your kid? I've NEVER hit my children. I've taught them discipline from the very beginning. I was hit all the time. Violence begets violence. I've was a **** pile of violence and terror by the end of high school. It DID NOTHING but inflict pain and fear in me. I would NEVER inflict that on my kids. My kids are straight A students, play sports, are in Cub Scouts, and are extremely respectful to animals and other people.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator said:
GatorJ;n48628 said:
I got hit all the time. I've never hit my kids. My kids are great, do well in school, and treat others with respect. I have no issues with behavior in my household. There were several instances when they were young where they were very difficult to handle, but I never resorted to hitting them and they've turned out great. Hitting your kids is pathetic. People who justify inflicting pain and violence on their kids or spouse sicken me.

you really wouldn't have liked my mom then
My mom hit with a vacuum cleaner, her shoes, a wooden spatula, and a belt. She got so pissed at me that she stabbed me with a pen in my face and I have a small scar to this day. I resent her to this day for that sh!t.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
You should see what Wooble looks like after Matt spanks dat azz.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ said:
My Dad was beat regularly as well, glad you were both able to break the chain of violence.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ said:
Thanks Queenie :swampqueen:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator said:
GatorJ;n48628 said:

I was just trying to lighten the mood.I'm truly sorry you had to endure that but no need to offend everyone else's parents or parenting.

TallyGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I got spanked with a belt as a kid and pretty much deserved every one of them. One time my dad was obviously doing it in anger and my mom rescued me. At about 11 years old he went the lecture route...and one night I asked to him to just whip me and get it over with. He did not think that was funny.

As a parent, the spanking option should always be on the table...but as an attention getter, not corporal punishment. And using anything, or excessive force, that will break the skin and draw blood is going way beyond making a point. Just my opinion...

I think, under today's standards, he may be in some significant trouble, regardless of what the little sh*t did.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
GatorJ;n48628 said:

I respect your view, while I cant say that Ive never spanked my kids, that is something that I don't do either. But I think it is going a little far to lump all forms of physical punishment together and label it abuse, not to mention calling anyone who has spanked their kids pathetic. I'm glad you have the perfect kids and are the perfect parent. Congratulations.

I was picking up my kids from swim practice today, my son got in the car first and we were waiting for my daughter. In front of us a young boy roughly 3 years old darted out into the street in front of a car, the car quickly braked, the Dad only a few feet away jerked the boy out of the street and promptly proceeded to "tan his hide". Maybe its because I live in Alabama, but the Dad was not taken down and handcuffed by the local police department. He crossed the street into the parking lot holding his sons hand and I said to my son, "I did the same thing to you one time....do you remember?"

"No", he said.

"I would rather spank you once and keep you alive than to be faced with the alternative." He nodded his head in agreement.

I'm sure you will argue that reasoning with a toddler would have the same result, but you would be wrong.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gatormac2112 said:
GatorJ;n48628 said:

I respect your view, while I cant say that Ive never spanked my kids, that is something that I don't do either. But I think it is going a little far to lump all forms of physical punishment together and label it abuse, not to mention calling anyone who has spanked their kids pathetic. I'm glad you have the perfect kids and are the perfect parent. Congratulations.

I was picking up my kids from swim practice today, my son got in the car first and we were waiting for my daughter. In front of us a young boy roughly 3 years old darted out into the street in front of a car, the car quickly braked, the Dad only a few feet away jerked the boy out of the street and promptly proceeded to "tan his hide". Maybe its because I live in Alabama, but the Dad was not taken down and handcuffed by the local police department. He crossed the street into the parking lot holding his sons hand and I said to my son, "I did the same thing to you one time....do you remember?"

"No", he said.

"I would rather spank you once and keep you alive than to be faced with the alternative." He nodded his head in agreement.

I'm sure you will argue that reasoning with a toddler would have the same result, but you would be wrong.
My kids were toddlers. They've darted into parking lots, talked back, screamed at the top of their lungs at the grocery store, talked back, etc... What's the point of hitting them? There's nothing in any type of scientific/psychiatric teaching or journal that says the best way to teach right from wrong is to hit somebody else.

It's not about being a perfect parent. It's about doing things the right way.

So, let me ask this: "Is it okay to hit just your kids? Is it okay to hit other people's kids? Is it okay to hit people who aren't kids because they don't do what you want? Or are you just saying that hitting is reserved for children?"

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Private Catholic School taught by nuns, Italian mother from the Bronx, New York... 'nuff said. :lol:

The beauty of a spanking when their young/impressionable is that you only have to do it a few times, then your words mean something and that's all you have to use. As for the daddy with a bunch of girls on here claiming the obey and A student thing, congrats on dodging the bullet by talking your mouth dry for discipline... don't lie guy. As for me, I'm a my three sons dad. That's a whole different ball game dude. I too have sport freaks, AP, grew into good guys. You better set the tone early to show who pays the freight. All mine have college degrees in the healthcare fields making six figures each. Honestly though, I can count on one hand the times early on I had to spank (note the word... on the ass only) to prove when I say something, I mean it. After that, all you have to do is imply, because your word means fact not sissy parent rhetoric. ***one major caveat here that has been left out*** if you have to spank... infrequently of course... then you're probably doing it right PROVIDED YOU SHOW THROUGH MOST OTHER DAILY ACTIONS, "LOVE" AND "FAIRNESS". They grow up like most of us, knowing you cared and had their best interest at heart... I reflect back and can always say I deserved it and at the same time knew my parents loved me dearly. Like the liberal jackasses, always tunnel vision rhetoric and trying to impart their opinions by guilt. F-you. Now, with regards to AP and a 4 year old, probably a little 'roid rage in that a few lighter cracks could still have served his purpose well. But, I wasn't there dealing with the problem that he felt needed to be straightened out. I am opposed to beating/spanking a child for every and any offense. A good parent gets a feel for when words aren't getting the message across or being pissed on by the child. Gotta always go back to showing more love and respect to your kid than continued force and intimidation if they are to be okay. But every blue moon (especially with boys trying to be king of the mountain), you will have those infrequent come again moments. IMHO

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Gatormac2112 said:
GatorJ;n48628 said:

"No", he said.

J, you're waaaay out of line. You're equating spanking a child to years of abuse. I'm sorry you endured that, but it wasn't discipline...it was abuse. They are light years apart.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I need to make a list of the things I was spanked with as a child. Wooden spoons, plastic spoons, wooden paddles, flip flops, and God knows what else. I turned out ok! :dance2:

But for real, he might have gone a little overboard with it. I mean, he is after all a ridiculously strong guy and his son is only four. What I don't get is the fact that it was turned down by the grand jury the first time around, but now he was indicted? Sounds like baby mama wants some money other than alimony.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorStud said:
Private Catholic School taught by nuns, Italian mother from the Bronx, New York... 'nuff said. :lol:

The beauty of a spanking when their young/impressionable is that you only have to do it a few times, then your words mean something and that's all you have to use. As for the daddy with a bunch of girls on here claiming the obey and A student thing, congrats on dodging the bullet by talking your mouth dry for discipline... don't lie guy. As for me, I'm a my three sons dad. That's a whole different ball game dude. I too have sport freaks, AP, grew into good guys. You better set the tone early to show who pays the freight. All mine have college degrees in the healthcare fields making six figures each. Honestly though, I can count on one hand the times early on I had to spank (note the word... on the ass only) to prove when I say something, I mean it. After that, all you have to do is imply, because your word means fact not sissy parent rhetoric. ***one major caveat here that has been left out*** if you have to spank... infrequently of course... then you're probably doing it right PROVIDED YOU SHOW THROUGH MOST OTHER DAILY ACTIONS, "LOVE" AND "FAIRNESS". They grow up like most of us, knowing you cared and had their best interest at heart... I reflect back and can always say I deserved it and at the same time knew my parents loved me dearly. Like the liberal jackasses, always tunnel vision rhetoric and trying to impart their opinions by guilt. F-you. Now, with regards to AP and a 4 year old, probably a little 'roid rage in that a few lighter cracks could still have served his purpose well. But, I wasn't there dealing with the problem that he felt needed to be straightened out. I am opposed to beating/spanking a child for every and any offense. A good parent gets a feel for when words aren't getting the message across or being pissed on by the child. Gotta always go back to showing more love and respect to your kid than continued force and intimidation if they are to be okay. But every blue moon (especially with boys trying to be king of the mountain), you will have those infrequent come again moments. IMHO
Both my kids are boys. And I've had to talk A LOT with one of my boys because he questions everything. But I'm okay with that. I value him questioning what he doesn't understand or agree with. It's the mark of a critical thinker.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I got spanked all the time and I turned out ok :eek:hnoes:

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gatormac2112 said:
GatorJ;n48628 said:

"No", he said.

Look - I don't do it, but I get popping him on the butt to get his or her attention. But there is absolutely NOTHING in any Pediatric Medical journal that I've ever seen that says physical violence changes behavior. Behavior is formed over years and it is up to the parent to pay attention and help shape it.

You don't even do that with animals. I've never seen a dog obedience instructor say to use physical punishment to alter its behavior.

Hitting a child is a parent losing control and feeling helpless, embarrassed, angry, or frustrated. It's not a means to alter a behavior. It's a means to make the parent feel better.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator said:
GatorJ;n48628 said:

You guys are justifying AP (a 220 LB man) bruising a little boy with a switch. How could you guys think that there was no other way for this mountain of a man to defuse this situation?

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
GatorStud said:

@J, We're basically on the same page of thought. Pulling the force card over a long haul is counter-productive IMO too. I just don't like the one size fits all circumstances when it comes to personalities. Much like you, I'm just glad the way we raised our children (love, God, goals, etc) guided them through the mire of losers they can run into back then which would have devastated us as parents. We too had one that always did right, one that fabricated at the drop of a hat and one we had to work with overtime to keep up with the others. Damn man, I'm exhausted just reflecting on it. Meant know disrespect to your personal philosophy though. Go Gator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.