Berlin vs. Grossman

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
ronald powell was a 5* from cali. about the most populous state in the US. he was an epic bust. am i doing this right?
You are. I assume you have a pint of gin next to your laptop to help guide you in the thinking.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
I still cant believe we let Berlin and Miami come back from a 23 point deficit and beat us that year. It was probably Berlin's best game as a Hurricane. In many of their other big games he played like crap and was just throwing interceptions when the game was up for grabs. I know he looked horrible in their 2 losses that season and not that good in many of their wins either.

Yeah, that one really stung. One of Zook’s “classics”.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Cool thread starts as a retrospective about Grossman v. Berlin...soon degenerates into a silly pissing contest absolutely nobody gives a fcuk about.

Can we get back to Grossman effortlessly lighting up SEC defenses and getting pulled before “We Are The Boys”?

Alex.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Cool thread starts as a retrospective about Grossman v. Berlin...soon degenerates into a silly pissing contest absolutely nobody gives a fcuk about.

Can we get back to Grossman effortlessly lighting up SEC defenses and getting pulled before “We Are The Boys”?

Alex.

Yeah, you’re right. I apologize for my end of it. I let Insti suck me in to his negativity which caused this thread to get derailed. I won’t be engaging with him negatively anymore in this thread.

As far as Grossman, watching him play was quite enjoyable. He lit defenses up and made it look so easy. It was very fun to be a Gator fan on fall Saturday’s back then. I miss those days.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
How's this for remembering the good times? Grossman throws for a record 464 yards and five TDs against Little Nicky in Baton Rouge in a 44-15 rout.

Check out 5:48 and 6:50.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This thread was going great until Alex guilted us into getting back on topic.

We are Gatorchatter. We came. We saw. We argued.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
How's this for remembering the good times? Grossman throws for a record 464 yards and five TDs against Little Nicky in Baton Rouge in a 44-15 rout.

Seeing as how Jimbo was on Nick’s staff at the time, I wonder if that was the first time Candi noticed Taylor Jacobs.
Too cynical?

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014

That was like an amazing dessert after a great meal. My most fun memory was watching Rexie dissect Maryland in that Orange Bowl after he did his timeout while Jessie had the first drive or so. I swear it was like watching 11 on 6. The Maryland fans were SOOO excited before that game coming in undefeated. The all were back in their shells before the end of the 3rd qtr.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

THAT is Florida football. For all you young pups who don't remember the glory years.

Yeah.... you can't pass on Saban. Whatever. They scared Saban into zone defense by the second quarter. Fvkk all this running offense, trying to score 14-20 points and run the clock out bullshyt. I don't know why every team in the conference tries to play into Saban's hands.

Last edited:

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
THAT is Florida football. For all you young pups who don't remember the glory years.

Yeah.... you can't pass on Saban. Whatever. They scared Saban into zone defense by the second quarter. Fvkk all this running offense, trying to score 14-20 points and run the clock out bullshyt. I don't know why every team in the conference tries to play into Saban's hands.
Couldnt agree more, but at least Dabo has finally figured it out as well. Maybe him and steve had a convo before the game? Or maybe their defensive staff just looked at saban's D and said huh... if we get great athletes and toss the ball around a lot, his defense is going to suck like a $2 whore. Either way, its accurate. Saban's defensive weakness has ALWAYS been against the pass; and yet nearly everyone tries to slow the game, run the ball, control the clock, and hope for a lucky play or bama mistake - which bama NEVER makes. So dumb :facepalm:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Grossman came about a quarter of a football game short of 4,000 yards that year, which is probably as good as it gets for a Florida passer, Weurffel's Heisman year notwithstanding.

It's mind boggling when you think back to what Spurrier was able to do offensively with what were really, other than Grossman, marginally talented quarterbacks.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
That was like an amazing dessert after a great meal. My most fun memory was watching Rexie dissect Maryland in that Orange Bowl after he did his timeout while Jessie had the first drive or so. I swear it was like watching 11 on 6. The Maryland fans were SOOO excited before that game coming in undefeated. The all were back in their shells before the end of the 3rd qtr.

Brock Berlin Coach. Not Jessie.

Alex.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
The Maryland fans were SOOO excited before that game coming in undefeated. The all were back in their shells before the end of the 3rd qtr.

Actually UMD came into that game with a 10-1 record:

2001 Football Schedule - University of Maryland Athletics

You might be confusing those fans or that game with the 1994 Sugar bowl where the UWVa fans were quite cocky about their unbeaten team that UF similarly beat 41-7.

jaywalker72

Founding Member
Current Status: Dumper
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Grossman could make big plays but he also needed Steve's foot up his behind to do it. Rex deciding to stay after Coach left was a terrible choice by him and it took a potentially perfect QB pick away from Washington, who might have been able to take Grossman instead of the terrible Patrick Ramsey.

Grossman stayed and made all the mistakes that Spurrier wouldn't have allowed, falling into a tremendous amount of bad throwing habits that followed him to the NFL.

It was a perfect marriage that, like most of our successful relationships at UF, was relatively short-lived.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Actually UMD came into that game with a 10-1 record:

2001 Football Schedule - University of Maryland Athletics

You might be confusing those fans or that game with the 1994 Sugar bowl where the UWVa fans were quite cocky about their unbeaten team that UF similarly beat 41-7.
I was at that WVU game, too and the older fans I talked to said, "take it easy on us." Those young Maryland fans were crazy confident. My memory is not what it was.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I was at that WVU game, too and the older fans I talked to said, "take it easy on us." Those young Maryland fans were crazy confident. My memory is not what it was.

I was at the UWVa game too and my then 11 year old daughter was in their fans faces the entire game the ones around us were pretty cocky. Then my daughter found discarded blue and yellow pom-poms outside the Super Dome proceeded to jump up and down on them as some of their fans walked by. I wondered what kind of trouble she was going to start.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I was at the UWVa game too and my then 11 year old daughter was in their fans faces the entire game the ones around us were pretty cocky. Then my daughter found discarded blue and yellow pom-poms outside the Super Dome proceeded to jump up and down on them as some of their fans walked by. I wondered what kind of trouble she was going to start.
We had great seats and all I remember is the first play Eric too a good shot from their AA LB and the guy sort of taunted Eric. The rest of the game Rhett was talking to him...........it was an ugly game for them MADE up for that debacle in the Peach Bowls many years ago when they had Daryl Talley..........
The 1981 Peach Bowl was a post-season college football bowl game between the West Virginia Mountaineers and the Florida Gators. The game took place on December 31, 1981, resulting in a West Virginia win over Florida 26-6.[1

Florida coach Charlie Pell was so disappointed by his team's performance that he burned the game film and buried it in the Gators' practice field.[3]

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Grossman came about a quarter of a football game short of 4,000 yards that year, which is probably as good as it gets for a Florida passer, Weurffel's Heisman year notwithstanding.

It's mind boggling when you think back to what Spurrier was able to do offensively with what were really, other than Grossman, marginally talented quarterbacks.
People forget that SOS ran the ball a lot too... but usually only after the defense backed up trying to stop the pass.

So much easier to run against man 2 or cover 4, insteading of bash your head into a loaded box incessantly for the first three quarters that seems to be in vogue these days.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
BTW, these mostly arent "long" passes. SOS generally made his money behind the backers and in front of the safeties

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator