Billy Napier - UF Head Football Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Continuing right along with my hugely tremendous ideas, I've also thought about how concussions might be minimized if they went back to softer helmets instead of harder ones, so players intuitively stop leading with their heads.

1a1ac4bd5896cb135c80256c3632e92e.jpg
This guy says, "Hold my beer!"
FB_IMG_1638069241032.jpg

PhD Gator

UF Ph.D. 2011
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Wasn't sure which thread this fit best in, but this article shows you a lot of what Napier needs to do. ESPN ranked the top recruiting classes in the SEC going back to 2010. How many of the Gators classes were in this top ten....ZERO!

They then do a "Best of the rest" category and we do have one there. But, then I realized that they are simply showing for all of the schools that weren't mentioned, which of their recruiting classes was the best (even Vandy gets one which is the clear signal of this).

The best college football recruiting class by conference: SEC

This has to be priority #1 for Napier (turning around recruiting). There is no excuse for the Florida Gators to not have a single recruiting class that can rank in the top 10 in the conference (not the country, just the conference) over the last decade. It just demonstrates the ineptitude of the last few coaches and is honestly embarrassing. Obviously Alabama is going to have most of the top 10 classes given their dominance over this period, but to not even be able to sneak one class into the top 10 at the top school in the top state for football talent, come on! These coaches almost had to be trying not to succeed for that to happen (which actually seemed to be the case with Mullen).

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Nope, the backpack was a horrible! However, I’m thinking a non-cheesy option would be an O&B Gator football. If you steal the ball, you get to “keep” the O&B turnover ball while on the sidelines. Beats the stupid bling at da u and the like. A possible humorous add-on would be to have “I GOT THE BALL!!!” printed on the ball, referencing that scene from “The Replacements.” Classic scene.
You know I have always hated the "play recognition" stuff: buckeye nuts and tomahawks on the helmets, take away chains and purses and even the scepter thing. When you make a big play, with the support of your teammates, act like that's what you're on the field for. "I am because We are" is the attitude I am looking for. When you intercept a pass, recover a fumble, or make a tackle for a big loss, its because the other 10 men on the field did their jobs too. Always felt that way about been there, done that ribbons on my uniform too.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Continuing right along with my hugely tremendous ideas, I've also thought about how concussions might be minimized if they went back to softer helmets instead of harder ones, so players intuitively stop leading with their heads.

1a1ac4bd5896cb135c80256c3632e92e.jpg
There is actual science to validate this. Take away the face shields and hard shells and player naturally keep their heads up while making contact. Of course you wind up with the boxer's nose condition and scars like a Heidelberg fencing student.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
There is actual science to validate this. Take away the face shields and hard shells and player naturally keep their heads up while making contact. Of course you wind up with the boxer's nose condition and scars like a Heidelberg fencing student.
I've said that for years...think Rugy.

Helmets should be like Rugby or Boxing Head Gear.

Shoulder Pads could be soft also

It would really cut down on injuries while keeping the contact.

GatorCatsi

¡No más tacos gratis!
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2016
Watch ALL of this, and I dare you to still be on the fence about Billy Napier.

Look how he leads and loves his players, and they follow and and love him. They are so silent and attentive when he speaks, in the locker room. Look what he has built there. Look at the love of each other that he has inspired in them. If he didn't, who did? That's what a great coach does.

I was wrong to even question if he and his very Southern ways will be relatable to "urban" players in South Florida and elsewhere. He will do just fine with them. I said that before I had watched all the videos I've watched and read all the articles I've read. My only complaint is that the food in the re-education camp was NOT good. :thumbdown:

Seriously I take back anything I said making fun of Sling Blade mhm hmmm. I reckon I want me some of them french fried potaters, and six or eight cans of that potted meat if you got any extra. I am all in. This is the just kind of coach we've been needing IMO.

Signed,
New Napier NutswinGGGer #1

Our team needs that kind of leadership.

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I don't know if I'm too late with this (I'm not going back to peruse 10 pages on this thread) but SI.com is reporting that both Lincoln Riley and Brian Kelly reached out to the Gators for the HC position. What does that say about the optics of how ellite the Gators are? You will/would get major arguements in our little community here on who we should have responded to, no doubt, but personally I would NOT have wanted Brian Kelly. That's a guy whose ony here 15 minutes like Kiffin. As for Riley? Who knows. I'm starting to come around that for the time being and who was available we got the guy with potential. Yeah, its a risk. But nothing risked equals nothing gained.....

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don't know if I'm too late with this (I'm not going back to peruse 10 pages on this thread) but SI.com is reporting that both Lincoln Riley and Brian Kelly reached out to the Gators for the HC position. What does that say about the optics of how ellite the Gators are? You will/would get major arguements in our little community here on who we should have responded to, no doubt, but personally I would NOT have wanted Brian Kelly. That's a guy whose ony here 15 minutes like Kiffin. As for Riley? Who knows. I'm starting to come around that for the time being and who was available we got the guy with potential. Yeah, its a risk. But nothing risked equals nothing gained.....
It's literally the post above yours :lol:

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

AnObfuscator

Lifetime Member
Nov 20, 2017

I'm really glad we didn't end up with Brian Kelly. It feels like we dodged a $100M bullet there. I would prefer to have had Riley, but I'm not mad about the Napier hire, even if I still have concerns.

neteng

Fuga!
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2018
With the way Riley left OU and the fact that he isn't worth the money he got, it doesnt change a thing for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.