Status
Not open for further replies.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Naps needs to just promise we dont have to see anything like this ever again!

Dan Mullen's trophy case

76194701925e4c.jpg

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
There was a post in a FB thread this morning by a guy who had Napier's dad as a HS coach when Billy was a little boy (but always around his dad coaching). Dude didn't have enough good things to say about the dad, and Billy.
Yeah, not sure if this has been posted, but this was an article originally written for Cajun fans in 2018 and updated today for Gator fans.

Napier definitely had a close relationship with his Dad. It seems to me that is almost a necessity for success in his field. Just about every great coach I've ever heard give an interview has talked about having a good, positive father figure in his life. The fact that so many boys don't have someone like that is the great tragedy of the world today, and the cause of many of its problems, if not all.

What Florida is Getting With Former Nick Saban Assistant Coach Billy Napier

Although he didn’t say so, there was a person who Billy Napier would have given nearly anything to be on hand when he was introduced as the new football coach of the Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns — his father.

Also named Bill, he was a football man too.

A longstanding high school coach in Northern Georgia, all three of his sons followed in his footsteps, although it was the eldest who ventured to see what the college game had to offer. “I grew up in his hip pocket,” Billy Napier said. “In the weight room. In the equipment room. In the field house. On the practice field. On the sideline. In the bus going to camps. In the truck to go pick up players ...”

He dreamed of someday being a coach just like his dad.

The father who was diagnosed with ALS in 2013, died in September at age 60.

Just three months later, Billy was named a Division I head coach for the first time.

“My dad really valued his day-in, day-out relationships with his players and his staff,” Napier said. “That’s probably what he valued more than anything. He was always very consistent. You always knew what you were going to get. I think that’s something young people need today, consistency and that’s really what I try to do.

“I don’t make too many quick decisions. I’ll take some time and think about what’s right, and I think I learned that from my dad in terms of the character and integrity that you want to operate with.”

More.....

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
I am checking out of this thread. I will support the guy until he proves he can't deliver. Not my first choice, but not my last. Hopefully a new era. Go Gators!

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
And there were people wanting to give that jackass another year. smh
I remember all the 10 wins minimum for mullen this year posts. I remember the EJ Heisman finalist predictions. I remember the, 'he's got his qb now and the offense will be better than it was with Trask' posts. I remember a lot of you arent a real gator fan unless you support the coach posts.

I remember a bunch of us disagreeing and saying 8-4 if we are lucky and being called whiners, complainers and dumpers for it. To all those above I say,

"Hows my D taste beetches?!?!"

:grin:

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
Speaking of Dads, mine is not pleased with the Napier hire. I believe I have mentioned his theory about Saban assistants on this site before.

His theory is being tested this year by Jimbo Fisher and Kirby Smart, but Dad says nobody should ever hire a former Saban assistant because they are all dopes, by definition.

He says, Saban established his very specific way of doing things years ago, and it is so systematic that he could hire a staff of trained monkeys and still be successful.

So, knowing that all his assistants are eventually going to be hired as head coaches by virtue of their association with him, Saban deliberately hires retards. This way, he is gradually populating the whole rest of the league with retarded coaches who can never beat him.

You want to try telling Pops that this sounds like a cockamamie idea? Good luck. Saban is 4 points from being 25-0 against his former assistants.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I remember all the 10 wins minimum for mullen this year posts. I remember the EJ Heisman finalist predictions. I remember the, 'he's got his qb now and the offense will be better than it was with Trask' posts. I remember a lot of you arent a real gator fan unless you support the coach posts.
Man you should see GC now. Apparenlty all that shyt we said about Douchebag Dan for the last 4 years is now gospel there too.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Speaking of Dads, mine is not pleased with the Napier hire. I believe I have mentioned his theory about Saban assistants on this site before.

His theory is being tested this year by Jimbo Fisher and Kirby Smart, but Dad says nobody should ever hire a former Saban assistant because they are all dopes, by definition..
So he doesn't like Kiffy?

Mornengswede

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2017
Man you should see GC now. Apparenlty all that shyt we said about Douchebag Dan for the last 4 years is now gospel there too.
It’s the PR wing of the athletic department. The coach is unassailable until the moment they decide he’s not. Then he’s trash. That’s why that place comes off as a little cult. It’s the posters’ job to repeat the narrative and give flak to anyone who contradicts it.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014

I remember from the day Cousin Eddie was hired it did not matter what happened week to week, what we pointed out week to week, etc., the genuflectors just kept coming up with excuse after excuse, justification after justification. But even those morons only had a finite number of excuses before they had to throw in the towel, but yet as someone mentioned there were still a few in favor of a year 5.

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I was listening to a podcast by local broadcasters Frank Frangie and Dan Hicken and heard something I'd never heard before. A McElwain assisstant told Hicken that Matt Corrall was dead set on coming to UF no matter what. Mullen told him to tell Corrall he wasn't interested and he was going with Emery Jones. I almost threw my laptop down my den stairs when I heard this. Geezus Chryst.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.