Warning: Political Takes Bucks and Magic boycott NBA playoff game

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This isn’t as much of a deal breaker as you make it out to be. Just because people complain about a product, it doesn’t mean they will stop buying it. iPhones have gotten more expensive and are severely lacking in quality and innovation compared to their competitors year after year. People consistently complain about their clear agenda of planned obsolescence and argue they are deliberately hijacking their phones. But, guess what? Their stock price goes up every year and business is booming. You’ll complain today and begrudgingly buy next year’s phone anyway. The NBA and NFL aren’t going anywhere.

Comparing two completely different things. When it comes to smart phones are a direct part of our society and life. it's a one time payment for something that is part of our society. The substitute product is just another phone. For NBA,NFL, etc... they are just entertainment. The substitute to a phone is a phone. The substitute product for watching a sport league, is museums, walking, parks, movies, television shows, etc. So this bad comparison is completely apples and oranges.

Much like what was addressed during the Disney stockholder meetings this week, when you force social issues into the escapism people are looking for you lose profit. Do I believe the NBA, NFL will fold? No. But could they end up like Disney where they lose so much earnings they will have to correct course? absolutely.

I believe anyone should have free speech without fear of the government. But companies answer to stakeholders, and they want to maximize profits. What happened when the NFL was losing ratings for a variety of reasons? They corrected course. Now that was just a minor decrease in ratings which led to a decrease in ad revenue... The NBA, MLB, NASCAR are already under performing their contracts before all of this, so now add alienating people who just want to escape from all the BS.... is that going to hurt or help those numbers.

I don't care where you stand on this issue, it's about business. The only issue in business is maximizing profits, and this doesn't help reach that goal, in both the short or the long term.

Jack o' Diamonds

My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts...
Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2015
You honestly believe that by alienating TENS OF MILLIONS of paying customers that they aren't going to feel it in their bottom line? If they think they are too big to fail, they are sorely mistaken.

I didn't even know they had "tens of millions paying customers"! But then again I boycotted their games 20 yrs ago...

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I didn't even know they had "tens of millions paying customers"! But then again I boycotted their games 20 yrs ago...
I stopped watching my beloved NBA nearly 20 years, but I've always kept up with the NFL. "Tens of millions" meaning WATCHERS, which is what drives their huge advertising revenue streams.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This isn’t as much of a deal breaker as you make it out to be. Just because people complain about a product, it doesn’t mean they will stop buying it. iPhones have gotten more expensive and are severely lacking in quality and innovation compared to their competitors year after year. People consistently complain about their clear agenda of planned obsolescence and argue they are deliberately hijacking their phones. But, guess what? Their stock price goes up every year and business is booming. You’ll complain today and begrudgingly buy next year’s phone anyway. The NBA and NFL aren’t going anywhere.

The ratings for the NBA are down 42% currently so I would say that people are staying away

When the next TV contracts are negotiated they will feel it

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
By not looking into the facts and doing what they did and continue to do I would say our “common ground” is that we’re American and share a like for breathing and maybe Coca Cola...after that I could scarcely think of anything ideological we have in common...I will not support divisive rhetoric and refuse to accept that line of thought

upload_2020-8-27_14-26-46.jpeg

Seriously though, it did make me laugh.

Last edited:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Never did I think I would witness a sports forum that hates sports. But here we are.

Nor did I think I would witness a Gator forum that hates the University of Florida. But here we are.

giphy.gif

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Nor did I think I would witness a Gator forum that hates the University of Florida. But here we are.
You should maybe consider retaking freshman reading comp.....high school freshman :lol:

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Although I don't really agree with the NBA players' decisions last night, I respect and appreciate your courage to throw out a dissenting position on this board which is becoming more and more of an echo chamber lately.

I agree with what ox said about how the players seemingly have very little problem taking money from china with concentration camps and blatant citizen oppression, yet here they choose to continue taking a stand even though the NBA has already supported BLM quite clearly.

I think they should have found a different way to "protest" that situation (although I don't ever think there should be any protesting before all the facts come out). Anyway, I liked your post because at least it was one that didn't turn to hateful rhetoric, name calling, etc. that had been all too common on CNN, FOX, and this board.

Some of y'all need to chill and remember that people have more common ground than Tucker Carlson would have you believe.

Looking forward to the many "drunk," "wtf," "stoned," labels that I will be receiving for this post! Take care all!
Interesting that you picked Tucker Carlson. :grin:

Here's the thing. I don't think I've ever come across anyone in my life who doesn't believe black lives matter. And yes, I get that saying all lives matter is diluting the point black people are trying to make when they say black lives matter. I also think the vast majority of Americans understand that there are many things that black people face in their lives that are the remnants of past racial inequities and injustices. And I think that most people believe in trying to give people a hand up that occasionally may mean giving them a hand out.

But when people who are just going about there normal lives minding their own business trying to do the best they can for their families, obeying the law, paying their taxes and treating all people as they come get told that they are racists, bigots, xenophobes, homophobes and any other kind of phobe you can think of just because they are white and believe that capitalism is good, police aren't bad, and that laws and borders are there for a reason you shouldn't be surprised if they get their hackles up. And when those same people see people rioting and destroying property, attacking police and innocent people and destroying local economies I would hope most thinking people would understand why they view a lot of the "protesting" and rhetoric they hear from said "protesters" with a jaded eye and ear. Specially when much of the rhetoric is provably false and the people and organizations saying it also want to dismantle police forces, dismantle the family structure of a mom, dad and kids, are avowed Marxists and want to restructure the entire country. The same country that has done more good, sacrificed more in lives and treasure and lifted more people out of poverty than any country in the history of man.

Last edited:

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Interesting that you picked Tucker Carlson. :grin:

Here's the thing. I don't think I've ever come across anyone in my life who doesn't believe black lives matter. And yes, I get that saying all lives matter is diluting the point black people are trying to make when they say black lives matter. I also think the vast majority of Americans understand that there are many things that black people face in their lives that are the remnants of past racial inequities and injustices. And I think that most people believe in trying to give people a hand up that occasionally may mean giving them a hand out.

But when people who are just going about there normal lives minding their own business trying to do the best they can for their families, obeying the law, paying their taxes and treating all people as they come get told that they are racists, bigots, xenophobes, homophobes and any other kind of phobe you can think of just because they are white and believe that capitalism is good, police aren't bad, and that laws and borders are there for a reason you shouldn't be surprised if they get their hackles up. And when those same people see people rioting and destroying property, attacking police and innocent people and destroying local economies I would hope most thinking people would understand why they view a lot of the "protesting" and rhetoric they hear from said "protesters" with a jaded eye and ear. Specially when much of the rhetoric is provably false and the people and organizations saying it also want to dismantle police forces, dismantle the family structure of a mom, dad and kids, are avowed Marxists and want to restructure the entire country. The same country that has done more good, sacrificed more in lives and treasure and lifted more people out of poverty than any country in the history of man.
OUTSTANDING!!!!

I could not have said it better.

This **** has been coming for years!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.