California, Florida sign law to allow college athletes to get paid

Status
Not open for further replies.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
You’re usually more nuanced than this. I think your passion for college football is blocking your typically more objective view. A slippery slope is not cause to avoid doing the right thing; it is cause to do it right and adjust on the future as much as possible. Also, with guys already skipping bowl games, some sitting out even if needed (see Grier year one, as part of redshirt decisions), and transfers always existing, I don’t see this ruining all of college football except the most ardent get off my lawners. It will favor urban area schools though, like USC, Miami, and, oddly, ND due to the NY connection. I’m not in favor of that result.

I think, but haven’t looked it back up, that game broadcasts are under a separate rule/law where the players agreed to being on TV as part of scholarship or agreement to be on the team. The video game went beyond that implied or explicit permission distinct from the TV broadcast.

I think that's where the difference lies. I don't actually think it's the right thing to do. I respect those of a different view, but I believe this will ultimately destroy college football. I could be wrong. But I also don't know what's so wrong with something that's been just fine for over a century.

But just to show that I'm not a "lawn" guy, I'm also completely opposed to the idea of testing/suspending for weed. They're college students and should be allowed to live like the rest of the class. And I'm not a smoker. So I can be balanced.

5-Star Finger

Apex predator of the political forum biome
Lifetime Member
Nov 16, 2017
I'm also completely opposed to the idea of testing/suspending for weed. They're college students and should be allowed to live like the rest of the class. And I'm not a smoker.

Sure, buddy.
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015
They’ll lose those endorsement’s value quickly if they can’t play due to grades.

So, if a coach suspends or benches a player for any reason (discipline, grades, whatever) he personally and the University will face a major lawsuit with megabucks damages since the player's endorsements will be affected. If the player claims malice was involved and can convince a jury the awards will be enormous. I am surprised that some of us can't foresee the potential problems this will cause. All this is for the less than 0.1% of college players who are actually good enough to make money.

There are 80,000 college football players. How many rate endorsements?
How many college football players are there?

Hurrig8r

Nov 18, 2017
Annnndddd California is broke why? Everybody not working gets paid...If the athletes have to pay it back with their NFL contract they got from the free coaching and skill development, or the job they secure with the free degree....I'm all in...Otherwise I call Bulls---!

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Sure, buddy.
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

:lol:

I’m an all-in guy, and fortunately I was aware of this at an early age. So I knew drugs probably wouldn’t be a good idea to try. How I made it through my profession without doing coke, I have no idea.

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
I always knew that this was going to happen,, eventually, but hoping that it would be long after my time here.

Greed always seems to find a way to take over. It's a damn shame that we have to lose the beauty and magic that is college football.

Maybe it all started with the "playoff" thing, and all the tv programming with bspn and the SEC network.

It just seems like it's all about money now, and the true heart of the sport that we all know and love is nothing more than am afterthought.

What a shame.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm asking this so that I can accurately portray what started this whole dam breaking catastrophe when I give a history lesson to my grandkids in a few decades....

This is ALL Nick Saban's fault ain't it?
No, it's the twat SJW's on ESPN, the network that used to have viewers.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I always knew that this was going to happen,, eventually, but hoping that it would be long after my time here.

Greed always seems to find a way to take over. It's a damn shame that we have to lose the beauty and magic that is college football.
The only silver lining is that we will soon see scholarships pulled for nonrevenue sports which will become club sports likely.

Last edited:

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Perhaps.
But what happens to the "little guys?"
I would hate to see athletic programs go under because they can't afford to compete financially.

And the opportunity those scholarships provide.

But that’s how California (and NY and DC and SF and all) liberalism works. Funnel more money to the few, beggar the rest then b*tch about inequality. Then hire illegal aliens to cut your grass and clean your house so you don’t have to pay them much, while dodging payroll tax on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator